I think the French Speaking African Ladies Ripped

Country gal

me off. I was talking to an african lady at the Corner's bakery that I go to. She asked me how much my braids cost. I said $200 but that also includes the packets of human hair. She said I was ripped off. She says in her country they do those type of braids for like $5. She said $200 is like $5000 in her country. I said well the inviduals take a really long time and they are smaller braids. I can unserstand them charging more money because braids are labor intensive. She was laughing and saying they do that all day in Africa for dollars. Here they werew speaking in such a lovely french accent playing their souca (sp)music laughing all the way to the bank. I don't mean to insult any of the africans on the board. They just spoke such a beautiful language and seemed so nice. I had no Idea I was overpaying so much. I know many of you pay just as much as I do for braids. I want to ask the African ladies are we being ripped off as far as pricing for getting braids in the salons.

Normally, that's what most charge for braids. The prices can range from $100-$350 depending on where you go. I guess they figured if they could make more money then why not charge what everyone else is charging...I think $200 is reasonable esp. since you say the hair is included. Normally, you have to bring your own hair and then "shell" out at least $150 or more. Personally, I do my own braids so I save money that way. When I did get them done, the lady only charged me $80 at the time..plus I brought my own hair.

it's true. in nigeria you can braids done for as little as $10. i'm not talking about box braids either. i'm talking micro's. and millions for a bit more. but in england you'll be lucky to find a solon that would take £70($115) for braids. it's so unfair. i think in the uk and usa salons base prices on how long a service takes with braids and weaves being the longest they usually are the most expensive

I think the cost of your braids should also serve as indicator of quality. No African living in the US is going to braid your hair for $15, and $200 here doesn't go remotely as far as it would in an African country, so the comparison they made though true, is off base. I think $200 is reasonable if your braids are of high quality (and they made no comment regarding poor craftsmanship) and I wouldn't be comfortable paying much less! I haven't had zillions in 4 or 5 years, but even then, I paid $200 and it didn't include hair. My Nigerian braider was the BEST!!!

I echo what you said. My family went home (Africa) and had theirs done for about about $10. It's different in every country.

Hi sbaker
wave.gif

No offense taken. Yes, getting braids done in Africa, in my case Nigeria, is way cheap. So is the cost of living. I think that when African ladies braid hair over here they charge a higher rate because the cost of living is higher over here. When I braided my hair at a salon over here, I was charged pretty close to what you paid and they weren't even micros-just long box braids.

It's sort of like how the ladies pay $15 for a Dominican set and it costs $35 where I live. But that's the going rate and you can't find it any cheaper.
ohwell.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

It has to do with the cost of living. My mom went to Nigeria a couple of years ago and had zillions done, she was charged 2000 naira which would have been the equivalent of $20. She said that when her sister (who lives there) found out, she went off b/c they charged her so much!!
Like Sengschick said, $10 here is VERY different from $10 in Africa, Nigeria especially.

I think that the lady who told you were ripped off couldn't have been here (in the US) very long, because she has an unrealistic view of money. Either that or she was just trying to get under your skin.

ETA, that's funny. We must have been typing at the same time and saying the same thing! Well, you know what they say - great minds . . .
brainy.gif

Well I went to Madagascar in december and got micro braids for like 2$ and ladies that inludes two braiders and cost of transportation for them. When I go to Benin at the end of this month, I expect to pay about 5$ for micro braids. I'm so excited.
SBAker I think it depends on the quality and type of braids. I dont pay over 100$ with hair. I usually get my braids done in New York, where there's plenty of shops and competition.

I agree with sengschick. These are two different countries. Hell, I can pay 50 bucks for a regular hairdo at the salon that will only last a week. I wouldn't consider it a rip-off at all. Some pay $200 for two packs of weave.
laugh.gif

I have never been to a "professional" braider but I have family from nigeria that braid for 10 dollars for us church members and other people from nigeria.
u want box braids? ten dollar
grin.gif

u want micros? ten dollar
grin.gif

no matter what type... its cheap!

Zillions must be a different name for individuals whcih are the tiny braids. I guess I am just shocked that I could get my braids done for $10. 8 years ago I would go to people's house and pay like $80. Now that I have moved on up like the Jeffersons, I don't have time to track someone down and sit all day in their house. The quality is good. I have gotten alot of compliments. Even guys are complimenting my braids.

[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:
Zillions must be a different name for individuals whcih are the tiny braids. I guess I am just shocked that I could get my braids done for $10. 8 years ago I would go to people's house and pay like $80. Now that I have moved on up like the Jeffersons, I don't have time to track someone down and sit all day in their house. The quality is good. I have gotten alot of compliments. Even guys are complimenting my braids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pictures, pictures....and where'd you get them done?

I got them done in Temple Hills, Maryland at Mimi's braiding salon. My little cousin goes there. Thank God her mother stopped perming her hair. I love them. I will post pics up either today or tomorrow.

I got my hair braided by the french speaking africans as well and I felt I got a good deal. I paid 180. My album contains pictures.

I agree it has everything to do with cost of living in the two countries. Also you have to factor in that at the end of the day these people are running a business and bills have to be payed. I know in NYC rent is skyhigh, but it still has to be payed. In the end rent to some extent dictates what you'll be charged for certain services. I think when you look at it in that perspective its easy to see and understand why $200 is not a ripoff.

Side bar....I saw something on UPN news awhile back regarding hair braiders in the US particularly NY. There was a woman who had terrible breakage along her hairline from being in braids and her hair was very weak and practically coming out in clumps when she was evauluated by a stylist. I mean her hair was in bad shape!!! Bald spots in some places. I felt so bad for her.

Anyway, of course you know how these people do. The news crew goes into the salon and they start questioning etc. The salon owners were hostile!!! What they asked was if the hairbraiders had a license and it turned out that most did not (I've also seen this in some dominican salons where I see only one license on the wall and some ladies are applying relaxers). Is it true that you are supposed to have a license to braid hair???? Or is it going to be something separate from a regular cosmetology license and hair braiding is a "speciality"? Any cosmetologists out there than can respond to this?

Your hair is pretty but you are a DOLL!! Your smile is gorgeous! You are so photogenic!!! Your little man is handsome as well! So I take it they did not braid past your hair?

wow@paying so much for braids... I've never payed that much for braids in my life and my braids are of good quality..I find it interesting how much money people pay for something that with a little time and effort can be done by theirself.. *shrugs* maybe that's just me..

[ QUOTE ]
Truth said:
wow@paying so much for braids... I've never payed that much for braids in my life and my braids are of good quality..I find it interesting how much money people pay for something that with a little time and effort can be done by theirself.. *shrugs* maybe that's just me..

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't even do corn rows so I am even trying to do no micro braids. Some of us are force to be dependent on hair braiders.
laugh.gif

Thanks Tonya and Cute. I just get rid of all the bad pics and only show the good stuff.
smile.gif

She braided past my hair. She also put glue on some of the braids to stop my hair from coming out. I like the way she braided my hair. I think the work was very good. I was just amazed that people can get braids done for $10

I think Oh! My Nappy Hair Salon in California rips people off. I paid $90 for a roller set that didn't last more than 24 hours.

[ QUOTE ]
Coffy said:
I think Oh! My Nappy Hair Salon in California rips people off. I paid $90 for a roller set that didn't last more than 24 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

$90 for a roller set.
shocked.gif
You need to come to Maryland I will do it for a lot less and it will last more than a day.
smile.gif

That is foul. My friend was telling me about a woman who was featured on some show, and she charged $600 for haircuts because she had expensive scissors. Yeah, this was in Hollywood. WTF!!!!
swearing.gif

Sbaker, your braids look nice and I love that color.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Back