I think the French Speaking African Ladies Ripped

i think $200 is reasonable..i get my my braids done and that is about how much i pay too... is alot of work to braid hair so...i def think that is reasonable..

i almost feel guilty for the process taking so long...because i know damn well i could never braid individuals in someones hair...it is just too time consuming

[ QUOTE ]
Honi said:What they asked was if the hairbraiders had a license and it turned out that most did not (I've also seen this in some dominican salons where I see only one license on the wall and some ladies are applying relaxers). Is it true that you are supposed to have a license to braid hair???? Or is it going to be something separate from a regular cosmetology license and hair braiding is a "speciality"? Any cosmetologists out there than can respond to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a cosmetologist, but I can speak a little on the legal aspects of licenses. There was a California case where the state board was trying to get braiders to have to go to cosmetology school, etc., etc.

To make a long story short, the court said that because the aim of the braiders was not to apply ANY chemicals, there was no need for them to take these courses because the license was inapplicable to them. So, it depends on the state, but I would say that if over half the cosmetology education is focused on chemicals and braiders are only doing natural hair braiding with no chemicals, state boards will have a hard time trying to convince a court that a cosmetology license is necessary.

In MD a license is not needed to do natural hair at all & in DC braiders do not have to be licensed.
smile.gif

I can't wait to go to swaziland this christmas, I'm getting micro twists,which will cost about $15. I don't think you are being ripped off, its all about cost of living. In my country, you can do as much with $15 as you could do with $150 in the US.

In NC no liscence required because they aren't applying chemicals. The most they will do is wash (shampoo no conditioner) before they braid.

I guess this girl just made feel like I was crazy for spending that much money for braids. I justified it as a worthy expense. If I continued to go to the salon, I would have to pay $75 for a touchup.

Back