I THINK I HAVE SCAB HAIR!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hey ya'll. I bcd in the middle of July and finally am natural. My hair is growing fine and I was very happy. I've been noticing lately that my front edges are very dry. I have tried everything to moisturize it, but it won't stay that way. There seems to be several of the scab hair patches thruout my head. I don't care to bc again. Is there any harm in leaving the scab hair? The rest of my curls are growing out so beautifully, I'm afraid to ruin it. I've finally started CWing. Can any of u ladies tell me how to do an afro puff on short hair? My hair is long enough for a puff, the shrinkage makes it looked shorter than it is. :( Any suggestions in how to handle shrinkage? I never had this much shrinkage texturized. :(

I had scab hair when I first chopped. It was awful. Nothing I did made it better. I just had to cut the bad hair off. Now it is all good.

Hey there naturalchallange :wave:

You BC'ed about the same time that I did, however I'm not really sure what scab hair is but if you are talking about dryness in certain areas then I would say that oil works miracles. Have you tried hot oil treatments? Since going natural a few months ago I find that my natural hair LOVES oils, it drinks them up like the Sahara. :lol:

Natrlchallenge,
I think I have some scab hair. It has now grown about 8 inches from my scalp.
When I do the following moisturizing t'ment after shampooing it feels soft.
This is based on a treatment recommended by Paul Brown using his products (a reconstructor, a hot oil t'ment, and a serum).

I used the following after using a good moisturizing shampoo:
1 ounce At One Reconstructor
1/4 ounce NTM Healing Shine Serum
1/4 ounce BBD Keala Oil (Probably any light oil will do)

I mix it together and apply to my hair and cover with a plastic cap for at least 1 hour or more. It can be left on overnight. Also, heat from a dryer is not necessary.

The treatment is rinsed out and a small amt of hair serum is applied before styling. Paul Brown recommends doing this treatment several days in a row for healthier, stronger hair and to decrease shedding.

My hair feels soft and is easy to comb and I did note less shedding. I'm 4A/B relaxed and flat iron once a month. When I flat iron, the scab hair feels hard and rough, but if I use shine serum it softens it.

If you do a search for Paul Brown hair products, you should be able to find this treatment outlined on the site.

Scab hair is hair that is soooo dry nothing will help it...nothing. It is the result of the chemicals in relaxers absorbing into your scalp. These chemicals affect the texture of your hair, and the scalp produces extremely dry, brittle and fragile hair. I had it, and it didn't go away until I cut it out. I mean I knew it was scab hair when hair only and inch long was splitting in the middle. I think it took about 4 months to grow out for me. Believe me when I had scab hair I tried oil, shea, water, and so on and none of that worked. If it is really scab hair then the only way to make it better is to let it go.

brittanynic16 said:
Scab hair is hair that is soooo dry nothing will help it...nothing. It is the result of the chemicals in relaxers absorbing into your scalp. These chemicals affect the texture of your hair, and the scalp produces extremely dry, brittle and fragile hair. I had it, and it didn't go away until I cut it out. I mean I knew it was scab hair when hair only and inch long was splitting in the middle. I think it took about 4 months to grow out for me. Believe me when I had scab hair I tried oil, shea, water, and so on and none of that worked. If it is really scab hair then the only way to make it better is to let it go.

Oh is that what scab hair is. Does everyone that transitions have scab hair?

Thanks, guys. thanks for your replies. I am still unsure that I have scab hair. My hair is not shedding and it doesn't look like my hair is damaged. What I think may have happened is I have some heat damage. I tried to use a flat iron to straiten my hair. I didn't have the temp up too high, but the hair doesn't curl back like the rest. I'm just gonna have to own up to the fact that my hair will not straiten while i'm natural. My hair is too short and unwilling to do this. :ohwell:

I think you should try to put a heavy leave in on it. Maybe deep condition your hair under a dryer. If that doesnt work then I would cut it again since its only brrn 2 months...

Back