I Think He's Talking About My Hair. This Sulfur is Toxic!!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Okay, this sulfur has me paranoid now. I'm sitting at my desk with a portable heater under my desk, mainly at my feet but the air blows up on my whole body. This brotha just walked in and said to the guy that sits next to me.... what is that smell? It smells like burnt hair over here. I was like :look:

Now I'm the only woman in this area so I felt the need to speak up. I said it's not me, I wasn't curling my hair and laughed it off. Now there was a time and day where I WOULD get the nerve to try and plug in my curlers at my desk and throw in a quick curl or two but that was many many years ago LOL. And I haven't smelled burnt hair in years since joining LHCF.

Anyway, I'm praying he's not talking about the sulfur in my hair!! I don't smell any burnt hair in here so that's why I'm wondering. I know sulfur can smell pretty toxic if you put heat on it so I'm thinking my portable heater could be blowing it around??? You think???

Please tell me I'm paranoid!!! :drunk:

Sorry, but it sounds like it could be you. You might have to tough it out and just be cold. Grab a sweater and turn off the heat.:look:

When I was using moe grow my SO told me my hair smelled like mud so I can relate. That said I only use bee mine sulphur serum so idk what straight sulphur smells like. But u should ask a friend if u smell like brunt hair

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Sorry but I also think he's smelling your sulfur. Burnt hair smell is from sulfur. So... how many ppl in your office? Leave it to a brotha to tell it like it is. :lol:

try adding a little Amla oil to your sulfur mix this will tone down the smell also let sulfur mix for a least a week before using the smell wears off a little...lastly you may want to apply it only at night just before going to bed...

Sorry, but it sounds like it could be you. You might have to tough it out and just be cold. Grab a sweater and turn off the heat.:look:
Aw man, I was hoping yall would say it wasn't me LOL. Okay, I'd better turn this heater off!!

When I was using moe grow my SO told me my hair smelled like mud so I can relate. That said I only use bee mine sulphur serum so idk what straight sulphur smells like. But u should ask a friend if u smell like brunt hair

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Burnt mud?? LOL Good idea. I'll ask a friend.

Sorry but I also think he's smelling your sulfur. Burnt hair smell is from sulfur. So... how many ppl in your office? Leave it to a brotha to tell it like it is. :lol:
Thanks a lot for adding to my paranoia. Now I'm wondering how long they've been whispering about me LOL. In our section there's about 15 people but where I sit in this row I'm the only female today. And yeah, the brotha WOULD know what it smells like LOL.

Thanks all!

lol this is so funny because im sitting here at my desk smelling aphogee from last night. the hard, stinky, sticky one. But, I dont care.

try adding a little Amla oil to your sulfur mix this will tone down the smell also let sulfur mix for a least a week before using the smell wears off a little...lastly you may want to apply it only at night just before going to bed...

So Amla oil has a nice smell? I remember I used to use the Argan oil to mask the smell but I just remembered I stopped using that. Maybe I'll revisit that. I usually put in the sulfur at night and this last time I didn't give the mix time to rest much anyway. Thanks for the reminder!!

U have a heater on bc? Is the ac too cold?
Oh they freeze us in here all summer long. We're not even allowed to have heaters at our desks unless we have medical reasons but I sneak and use it anyway. :perplexed

lol this is so funny because im sitting here at my desk smelling aphogee from last night. the hard, stinky, sticky one. But, I dont care.

I hope they're not whispering about your Aphogee the same way LOL. But so what, your hair is benefitting. I'm sure Aphogee is better than sulfur anytime though.

I hope they're not whispering about your Aphogee the same way LOL. But so what, your hair is benefitting. I'm sure Aphogee is better than sulfur anytime though.

The other day i smelled just like a relaxer, perfume, deoderant :grin:. Their just going to have to deal with it :lol:

I couldn't take the sulphur smell anymore so I got Claudie's Elixer which turned out better working and way better smelling than my own sulpur mixes.

I was thinking it may just be the smell of your heater. Idk lol but when I turn on a space heater (especially if it has been a while since I've used it) it sort of smells like something is burning for the first few minutes.

When I used that Bee Mine Serum this guy always asked "Did you just get your hair done?" "What is that smell?" Finally he said, "girl, that stuff stinks!"

I'm pretty sure they are whispering! I ditched the Serum and took MSM orally.

The other day i smelled just like a relaxer, perfume, deoderant :grin:. Their just going to have to deal with it :lol:
LOL I always feel guilty when I come in with my body spray on and somehow I never smell it so strong until I walk in the building. But they better not complain about that because that's a much more pleasant smell than sulfur :lachen:

I couldn't take the sulphur smell anymore so I got Claudie's Elixer which turned out better working and way better smelling than my own sulpur mixes.
Hmmm... I might look into the Claudie's if you say it's not as strong. Oh, I just remembered that in this mix I mixed more Sulfur8 grease in it than normal. Maybe that's why it's stronger!!

I was thinking it may just be the smell of your heater. Idk lol but when I turn on a space heater (especially if it has been a while since I've used it) it sort of smells like something is burning for the first few minutes.
I think he's smelling the heat from the heater. They can sometimes have a burnt smell.
Good points, I sure hope it's my heater. Sometimes I do smell a burnt smell when I first turn it on.

OMG!!! The other guy that sits next to me just came out and said what is that smell? I said you smell it too? He said yeah. Oh goodness!! I'm going home LOL. I did turn my heater off already though. I still don't smell anything and I have a nose of a bloodhound. So yeah, it's probably my sulfur since I'm probably immuned to it.

Last edited:
When I used that Bee Mine Serum this guy always asked "Did you just get your hair done?" "What is that smell?" Finally he said, "girl, that stuff stinks!"

I'm pretty sure they are whispering! I ditched the Serum and took MSM orally.

LOL at least he was honest but I hope he didn't say it loud to embarrass you. Uggh! They don't have a clue what we go through LOL.

goodness. AdoraAdora24, you don't give us sensitive nose folks no mercy.

You got to pull back on that sulfur. And yes it absorbs quite well and takes a while and a lot of washes for it to completely go away.

I think I used weak apple cider vinegar rinses. Let it sit on the hair for a while.

Yes its got to be the sulfur. I use my own sulfur mix and I have to use it sparingly cause it can be potent and with the heater its marinating and permeating the office air. (Thats why I had to stop with the MTG):look:

I was like :look:

Now I'm the only woman in this area so I felt the need to speak up. I said it's not me, I wasn't curling my hair and laughed it off.

This part is so funny to me. :lol:

I think he thinks it's you. WHy even say anything about it? I've smelled worse things.

Thank God they're letting us leave early today. So I can stop worrying about funking up the office LOL. I think I'll leave that Sulfur 8 out of my mix the next time. I used it this time to thicken it up but I remember how funky that stuff has always been. I used the light version too.

Thanks ladies!! Off to wash this stuff out my hair. Oh gosh, I'm going out tonight so I hope the smell is gone by then LOL.

yep, its your hair....i had this issue the last time i got my natural hair flat ironed.....my future sulfur mix will not only contain eo's but i plan on, infusing my base oil with lavender flowers, rosemary, and other herbs so they they are the dominant smell.

Hold up! Wait one minute :rolleyes: I too would use a heater at my desk back in the day :yep: and people would say the smell sumtin burning. Long to short- The lower part of my leg was completely dry. No moisture at all.:nono: I would grease up after my shower and once I got to work I would turn on the heater and literally fry my leg, per the dermatologist.

Girl, they smellin chicken legs. I'm sure since you on this board , they prolly cookin in olive oil or coconut oil :lachen::lachen::lachen:

If you add eo's to your sulphur and they still smell sulphur, bring in biscuits for everybody :lick:

^^ I agree. Portable heaters smell like funky armpit fetish p0rnos from the 70s. :look:

I use sulfur all the time, but I also mask it by moisturizing with Oyin. lol My SO thinks everything but Oyin products smell badly, but he hasn't complained about the sulfur since I started Juicing with my Oyin spray. *shrug*

Thank God they're letting us leave early today. So I can stop worrying about funking up the office LOL. I think I'll leave that Sulfur 8 out of my mix the next time. I used it this time to thicken it up but I remember how funky that stuff has always been. I used the light version too.

Thanks ladies!! Off to wash this stuff out my hair. Oh gosh, I'm going out tonight so I hope the smell is gone by then LOL.

Oh that sulfur 8 grease is very strong- i cant even use it and when i do i use it sparingly and on my off days.

I just rubbed a bit of the Sulfur 8 Light Formula on my scalp. whew, it still stinks! But as a child, it worked. Glad to see folks taking it bak to the old school!

^^ I agree. Portable heaters smell like funky armpit fetish p0rnos from the 70s. :look:
I use sulfur all the time, but I also mask it by moisturizing with Oyin. lol My SO thinks everything but Oyin products smell badly, but he hasn't complained about the sulfur since I started Juicing with my Oyin spray. *shrug*

:lachen::lachen:

Back