I saw how lace front wigs are made

I was watching an episode of "How it's made" on television and learned how to make one. I wanna try it.

1. Wrap the top of the clients head in plastic wrap.
2. Uses a marker to outline your hair line.
3. Applies masking tape over the plastic wrap up to the hair line.
4. Remove the "masking tape skull cap" and place on a cloth or wooden mannequin head.
5. Cut off the excess plastic wrap off along the hairline, leaving only the making tape skull cap.
6. Draw and outline of the hairline onto mannequin.
7. Remove skull cap.
8. Apply "lace" (mesh netting) to mannequin head and tack down.
9. Cut alone hairline and remove excess mesh netting.
10. Select hair - for this episode they chose a blonish color, bright pink hair and bright orange hair. Yes it looked funny.
11. Begin to blend hair by running it over a mounted "brush" with metal spokes for bristles. The process was more like dragging the hair over the spikes hundreds of times. This is very dangerous but the pink and orange hair are completely undetectable once the hair is thorougly blended. The bright colors make for amazing highlights.
12. Then you select tiny sections of hair and hook it into the mess cap with a small rug hook, beginning at the nape.
13. Stop periodically and tease the hair to make sure the hair is natural looking and moves normally.
14. Once you began the hairline along the face you should hooked the hair one stand at a time to ensure a natural look. The entire process of hooking the hair into the mesh cap takes 60+ hours.
15. Once the hair is attached to the cap, remove the pins and fit the wig to the client.
16. If the look and fit are correct and natural then cut the hair into your desired style.
17. Charge to client thousand of dollars if the wig is handmade or hundreds of dollars if it is machine made it.

I wear them and I would love to learn how to make one....Let me know if you find out any more information.

I tried to make one before:lachen::lachen:

I was so excited, I had all of my supplies and everything ready...Needless to say it took me about two weeks to get a few hairs done along the hairline b/f I just gave up:nono:

Hrm.

I wonder how much that would translate to in woman-hours?
How much does a good quality, custom-made lace front cost?
How much does enough high-quality hair to do a full head weave plus some (as I assume that's about how much you would need) cost?

Subtracting the cost of the weave from the cost of the lacefront, how much would you be saving?

Back