I relaxed yesterday.... For those how wants to self relax but is scared

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Update:

I got pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/BrooklynGurl/October2007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/BrooklynGurl/October20071.jpg

These were taken today 3 days after relaxing using flexi rods.

So I relaxed my hair yesterday and like it has been said a 100% on here no one can take care of your hair like you can. I forgot to take pictures of my hair yesterday before rolling up to compare but I will take pictures Wednesday when I CO wash my hair.

I did take pictures this morning and will download them as soon as I can and will post them. I wanted this post to be for those who thinks that they can't self relax their hair.

I had been trying to self relax my hair for the last year and each time I would come out underprocessed. I posted on here in August asking what was I doing wrong and after reading the replies I realized that I wasn't putting enought cream on my hair for fear of overprocessing my hair. So the last time I relaxed I put more cream on my hair but I didn't grease my scalp so I had burning. Well this time I did the following:

- Saturday night - greased scalp and put conditioner on ends and previous relaxed hair

- Sunday - parted hair into four sections
Started to apply relaxer starting from the back to route where
I start the process. I put the relaxer in in about 10 minutes.
After that I then went over it section and adding more relaxer to section that I had missed or didn't have enough. I left the relaxer in for 20 minutes.
- I jumped in the shower and started rinising from the back to the front so that I was rinising in the same direction that I put the relaxer on
- After rinsing for about 10 minutes, I then applied a my protein conditioner and left on for 5 minutes
- Neutralized with shampoo about 4 times leaving the last lather on for a couple of minutes
- Used Prositity Control conditioner for about 3 minutes
- Rinsed that out and got out of the shower.
-I then did a dc with Silcon Mix and set under the dryer.
- Rinsed that out and proceed to put in my leave in
- I then rolled my hair on flexi rods spraying each section with my homemade moisturer spray and adding castor oil to the end.
- I let air dry for about 13 hours and this morning I took my hair out to a nice soft set.

This morning I came to work ( I am a secretarty at DSU) and one of my professors(clear) looked at me and said " Did you do something different to your hair" I said yes and he said" It's looks very nice" Now that's a way to start a Monday morning.

Products used were:

ORS Olive Oil Lye Relaxer
Apogree Protein Reconstructer
Prositity Control Conditioner
Silcon Mix with a little Alma Oil
Salarm 21 and Lacio Lacio
Homemade spray
Castor Oil

I know that :needpics: so I wil get some up ASAP.

Last edited:
Please do post pics. Congrats on a job well done. You ahve inspired me to try a self relax. I now have to decide on which relaxer and schedule me a hair appt as if I was going to the shop. Oh yeah, I guess I should decide on how I am going to set my hair after the relaxer. That will be fun too!

Thank you so much for sharing.

The last time I underprocessed it was with same relaxer that I used this time. I really think that is was because of my fear of overprocessing that I was underprocessed.

hi LadyR! How you doing?

I am TE-RI-FIED to self relax but now that I am reading more about it I feel a little better. I am scared I'll either be underprocessed or overprocessed. What I read from one member was that we want to make sure that we dont overprocess by getting the relaxer on previously relaxed hair but by being overly careful we might overprocess our hair because you have to be quick with applying the relaxer. the bext way is to coat the old relaxed hair with lots of conditioner and vaseline. and then like you said apply a decent amount of relaxer to make sure u arent underprocessed.

I hope what i said made sense.

I'm happy your hair came out okay. And you know you gotta post those pics!

hi LadyR! How you doing?

I am TE-RI-FIED to self relax but now that I am reading more about it I feel a little better. I am scared I'll either be underprocessed or overprocessed. What I read from one member was that we want to make sure that we dont overprocess by getting the relaxer on previously relaxed hair but by being overly careful we might overprocess our hair because you have to be quick with applying the relaxer. the bext way is to coat the old relaxed hair with lots of conditioner and vaseline. and then like you said apply a decent amount of relaxer to make sure u arent underprocessed.

I hope what i said made sense.

I'm happy your hair came out okay. And you know you gotta post those pics!

That is what i did, the night before I used an old conditioner on my previous relaxed hair but I still was careful when relaxer

ORS Lye left me underprocessed as well...I wonder if I wasn't using enough cream on each section :perplexed I'll try that next time, as well as applying with a color applicator brush.

Did you use your hands to apply the relaxer or an applicator brush? Great job BTW!

Great thread. We are basically using the same products. I just got my ORS relaxer today from GoldenMartBeautySupply.com. I can't ever seem to find it at my local BSS. I am 10 weeks post relaxer and when I do relax I'm going to coat the previously relaxed hair w/ conditioner the night before. Good idea. Are you adding the amla oil to the silicon mix? How are you liking the Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio?

Hey Girie,

Yes I am using alma oil with my silicon mix and so far my hair loves it. As for the Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio I have been mixing the two and it seems to work out fine.

Great thread. We are basically using the same products. I just got my ORS relaxer today from GoldenMartBeautySupply.com. I can't ever seem to find it at my local BSS. I am 10 weeks post relaxer and when I do relax I'm going to coat the previously relaxed hair w/ conditioner the night before. Good idea. Are you adding the amla oil to the silicon mix? How are you liking the Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio?

Back