I quit

So true. I used the same combs/utensil for my natural hair as I did for the relaxed. It wasn't working at all! But since I've found this site I've learned to wash my hair in the shower (helps keep the tangles manageable), shampoo less but rinse more, and use protective styles. It's made a big difference in my hair. I have far less hair in my comb these days.

[ QUOTE ]
So true. I used the same combs/utensil for my natural hair as I did for the relaxed. It wasn't working at all! But since I've found this site I've learned to wash my hair in the shower (helps keep the tangles manageable), shampoo less but rinse more, and use protective styles. It's made a big difference in my hair. I have far less hair in my comb these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this happened to me when I first transitioned. I used the same combs that i used on my relaxed hair on my natural hair. But I must say i was quite young at the time i had no clue what i was doing
frown.gif
. the brush really help with tangles. Once i brushout in the shower I don't have to do anything until the next wash except maybe finger comb. I can't believe its so simple now.
laugh.gif

It's hard to imagine carefree hair like that. Especially type 4 hair. But I'm so curious to know what my natural hair looks like. What if it's prettier/softer/stronger than I ever imagined? I'll feel like an idiot for struggling with it for so long
laugh.gif

Going natural 2 & 1/2 years ago was the best thing I ever did. My hair has been thriving. I had to learn a LOT of things, though, mostly through trial & error (I didn't know about hair boards then), like how important conditioner is. Once I discovered that I need to deep-condition on a regular basis, my hair went from a brillo pad to being moisturized. I didn't transition 'cause I don't have the patience for it--I cut my shoulder length relaxed hair down to 1-2 inches. I know some ladies don't feel comfortable making such a drastic change but I'd tried transitioning before & always went back to perming 'cause it was so difficult. Whatever you decide, it's YOUR hair & YOUR decision. But there's a multitude of natural hair sites to help you if you need it.

Shelli,
I think the MOST important thing is to gain some natural length. That means you'll have to BABY the roots. Don't wash too much at first because you'll only go through 'comb-out' and that will be damaging. I would oil the roots every other day and wash only once/every two weeks. (Can you stand waiting that long?) LIGHTLY pressing is good b/c then you won't have the problem of 'knotty' roots. But only lightly, not to straighten but so that you can get oil in there. wear it up, all the time some buy some cute 'diamond' pins and stuff. For every inch of new-growth, slowly but surely trim 1/8 of relaxed.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm considering doing the same thing. It's been about 13 weeks since my last relaxer and I have the Jilbere ceramic flat iron and that thing makes my hair look freshly relaxed down to the roots. I have not experienced any shedding and my new growth straightens very easily, I'm going to give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

frown.gif
man i need me one of those things!
mad.gif
i just cant find it here in europe
mad.gif
if anyone has detials please let me know. i want my hair to be like that at week 13 since i prefer to do my touchups in london.

Congrats, Adrian3bc! Welcome to the Transitioner's Club. Please "sign-in" (see post entitled, "Transitioner's Club" that I started a while back.

I'm 5 months+ into transitioning and it's going well! You might experience some "scab" hair at first (hair that is drier & harder than usual at first, but as your hair grows out it will get softer. That scab hair is the first hair that comes out once you stop relaxing when your hair is still "purging" the relaxer chemicals. [Note: not everyone experiences this]

Good luck! Can't wait to see your natural hair!

[ QUOTE ]
pmichael52172 said:
Good question Shelli,

I was thinking about that too. I've tried twice and am just convinced I can't transition... without cutting it off that is. I'm 4b.

My stylist currently uses Design Essentials Lo-Lye relaxer which she says more so texturizes it. My hair is fine and I think the cutback on the lye is REALLY helping it because now, its thicker and is growing fast. Also, I hardly have any shedding.

When I get my touch up on Monday, I'm going to ask my stylist about the possibility of being "weaned" from a lye relaxer to a texturizer (don't know if it's possible or safe) I'd like my hair stronger but still want to wear it in straight styles.

[/ QUOTE ]
bumping another

[ QUOTE ]
shelli4018 said:
Is texturized hair considered natural? What's the difference between it and a relaxer? If it is considered natural that may be a viable solution for me (while transistioning).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Shelli /images/graemlins/wave.gif A texturizer isnt natural hair. The only differences between the texturizer and the relaxer are

*the amount of time left on the hair -- when texturizing the chemical is left on the hair for a shorter time (not completely straigthen) than when you want to completely relax (completely straighten) your new growth.

*How it is applied -- the chemical is worked over the newgrowth gradually when you texturize instead of being smoothed completely out over the newgrowth how it is done when you are trying to relax the new growth completely.

Other than that they are both the same thing. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif -- jainygirl

Kudos to all the ladies going natural. I want to do that myself. Thank u ladies for the helpful hints on this site. I have 4b nat hair and thanks to some of yr pics and how tos, I'm sure my transition will be a success!

Hey Natrlchallenge... I've also gotten a lot of helpful hints and tips on going natural too. I failed a couple of times before, but now I believe I can now transition with success as well. Good luck! ;)
This is a very old thread... I wonder where all those old members are that posted in this thread! :shocked:

Back