i need serious help!

neka

I initially had fine, naturally-curly, color-treated hair that was in good condition. I recently put a relaxer in my hair that was developed for african-american hair (I'm caucasian) with the hopes of getting my hair straight. The end result was fried, frizzy hair. Is there anything that I can do without cutting all of my hair off (My hair is currently long and all but about 2 inches is extremely damaged)? Thank you.

Wow....I would start with some serious protein conditioning treatments...followed by some serious moisterizing conditioning treatments...

I would avoid shampoo (too many sulfates will dry the hair even more and cause it to become brittle and shatter)...

I would avoid heat (you used the word "fried"...I think if you add heat to the mix..."crispy" is going to be the next adjective)

Relaxers cannot be reversed...they break the bonds in the hair...you can mask the damage for a while...but eventually the hair will break...the determining factor to how long your hair will stay in tact is if you damage it further by further chemical processes and heat...

Maybe others have had this happen...and they can comment further...but the logical choice to me...would be condition, condition, condition...

Final rinses with distilled water
Hot oil treatments (do searches on the homemade ones, but L'oreal Mega Moisture Nurturing is a good one you can find at the beauty supply, VO5 is alos nice and is at the drugstore/target/kmart type places)
Sleep on satin pillowcases
Yes avoid shampoo for a while and "wash" your hair with instant conditoner like VO5, Herbal Essences etc..
All of these steps are designed to moisturize your hair.
Also, yes do a serious protein conditioner (Aphoghee Treatment for damaged hair, Nexxus Emergencee etc.) followed by a moisturizing conditioner. Do that first and then follow all the steps above.
Try to keep your hair tucked away (buns, french rolls, etc.) for awhile.
These steps should help you.
Next time you relax (if there is a next time) test the relaxer by just doing one lock of hair. Not all relaxers work for everyone. Also be sure to check the type. If it was no-lye you may want to try a lye-based one next time. You also must be careful about timing (Not leaving it on too long) and your technique (don't stretch it too much when smoothing it straight) and overlapping (don't treat already processed hair.)
Your problems are probably partially due to the fact that your hair was already compromised from being colored. How long between your last color application and your relaxer?
Hope we've helped in some way.
smile.gif

Ditto to what the other ladies have recommended....

Hot Oil Treatment, "Wash" with Instant Conditioner, Protein Treatment ( I recommend Aubrey Organics GPB), Moisturizing Conditioner.

Keep us Posted

Oh dear!
I suggest you do conditioner washes instead of using shampoo.n "Lather" up and rinse several times with a VO5 conditioner several times a week. Trim your ends often. Do hot oil treatments with heat using Jojoba oil (available at health stores) I would say you should try keeping it in a bun also.
Good luck! I hope it works well for you.
drunk.gif

forgot to add, in the future: color a relaxer, never relax a color. You might pm Tracy for more ideas. She is our resident color guru.

What type of relaxer did you put in (mild or normal)? How long did you keep it in? I am just curious because you said that you are caucasian, most women on this site use a mild relaxer and leave it in anywhere from 15-20 minutes. Maybe you left it in too long. Anyhow, I would do what the other ladies recommended, you are going to have to "baby" your hair for awhile
smile.gif

Back