I need help, I'd like to relax my hair again...

LeeC23

Let's see, I've been natural for almost two years and I'm getting sick of my ever shrinking fro. I just wanted to see what my natural texture looked like and if what my mom said about my naps was true. It was. lol My hair is APL when stretched and sorry I don't have a camera to take a picture.

I'd like to relax again but have no idea where to start, how to do it, what products to use, should I do it myself or pay a professional...can anybody push me in the right direction? Please? :grin:

I relaxed (last year) after being natural for 3 years.

I never self relax--so I would say use a pro. I would consult w/ them first and ask them about going from natural to relaxed. If she says she can get it 100% straight the first time--keep looking. My stylist took about 3 sessions (touch ups) to get my hair to 80%. I don't like bone straight. You couldn't tell that I needed a few more sessions until my hair was wet---then u could see alot of texture.

I would say get your hair is good condition before---lots of DCing.

Afterwards--moisture, moisture, moisture and DCing.
And don't forget protein for strength.

You will have to (through trial and error) find the products that work best for you--but here is what I use (I like to keep it simple and inexpensive:look:)

shampoo---motions lavish
conditioner---suave tropical condtioner or nexxus humectress
deep condtioner---nexxus humectess or motions moisture plus
mild protien--nexxus keraphix or motions cpr
hard/strong protein--nexxus emergency
leave-in--Sunsilk Hydra TLC
moiturizer--ORS Olive Oil Cream

and Caruso Steam Rollers---they help u get curl and body to ur hair w/o having to use curling irons and flat irons.

Last edited:
May I ask why you feel the need to resort to chemicals? Have you tried pressing or flat ironing your hair for a str8 look?

What did your mom say about your naps? Were you "natural" on the outside but still with a "relaxed" inside?

I suppose that doesn't matter 'cause you did say you just wanted to see what your natural hair was like (which is what I believe everyone should do at some point in their lifetime)... although I wonder if your mom's words kinda "tainted" the experience for ya....

Anyhoo....LCHF is a resourceful place to guide you through this process....

May I ask why you feel the need to resort to chemicals? Have you tried pressing or flat ironing your hair for a str8 look?

Well, I've been straightening it alot lately and I love having that choice, but its so hot and humid here that it reverts and puffs out faster than I would like.

What did your mom say about your naps? Were you "natural" on the outside but still with a "relaxed" inside?

She warned me that my hair-- at least when I was 7 before the relaxer-- was hard to comb and like a sponge, really hard to get all of the water out. And it was. Actually my mom, brother and grandma absolutely hate my hair. Its all they talk about for some reason. :lachen: I don't get it, but whatever, I don't pay attention to it.

If there is a way that I can get my hair str8 and awesomely beautiful for at least 3 days in a row while maintaining my naturalness, I would do it.

Well, I've been straightening it alot lately and I love having that choice, but its so hot and humid here that it reverts and puffs out faster than I would like.

She warned me that my hair-- at least when I was 7 before the relaxer-- was hard to comb and like a sponge, really hard to get all of the water out. And it was. Actually my mom, brother and grandma absolutely hate my hair. Its all they talk about for some reason. :lachen: I don't get it, but whatever, I don't pay attention to it.

If there is a way that I can get my hair str8 and awesomely beautiful for at least 3 days in a row while maintaining my naturalness, I would do it.

I'm sure it's possible. Check out PinkSkates and Quetesh(I think that's how you spell it). They are lovely ladies with lovely flat ironed long natural hair. Both are great inspirations.

Back