I need help- 23 months of Transitioning with problems

Ms Red

I have a big issue right now. It's been 23 months since I last relaxed and my hair is acting up so much! :mad: Co-washing twice a week works well for me but once I airdry, sections of my hair become hard like a brick! The only thing I can do at this point to retain moisture is to deep condition a longer amount of time, saturate my hair in leave in and use WGO to seal (all while hair is damp). Then I twist and this retains moisture for about 3 days. I might try using some castor oil in my conditioner for extra moisture.

I am not a PJ so here are my products. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions?

Shampoo- Once every 7-10 days with CON.
Conditioner- Co-wash twice a week with Suave Coconut Conditioner
Deep Conditioner- Deep condition with NTM Hair Mask. I only do this for 5 min. Maybe I need to put a cap on and let it sit for an hour or so? I also sometimes use ORS Replenishing Pack.
Detangler- Dove Moisture Mist
Leave-In- Sometimes ORS Olive Oil Cream
Sealant- Wild Growth Oil (I have not noticed growth properties but I still like it)
Grease- Yes sometimes I use Softee hair grease :look:

I used to use a heavy protein like Aphogee when I was relaxed but stopped. I also have never clarified.

I'm also noticing that I have about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of relaxed ends left that get tangled. I plan to cut those in April. Also, my hair is 3c, the nape may be closer to 3b. But the crown is 4a and seems shorter, coarser and more product resistant than the rest of my hair. What can I do to soften it or achieve growth there? Also, I only take 1 multivitamin a day.

I am thinking that my products need to be changed because what worked on my relaxed hair didn't work on my transitioning hair and what worked on that isn't working now as I'm getting closer to being natural. By the way, my longest section of hair is 2 inches past shoulder length stretched but my crown is only 7 or 8 inches. ETA: I have not used heat since 6/2005 and wear protective styles a lot. Also I have very very thick hair.

Please help! :(

Last edited:
23 months! (girl, I'd be crazy and cut it off!)Thats awesome! :yay:

If you're using some heavy products and have never clarified, that may be what you need to do.

I also find that when I deep condition with a damp hot towel on my head for 15 minutes the conditioner works even better. Plus, I do rinse with cool water. As much as I hate putting cool water on my head after washing, it seems to help keep my hair softer too.

I don't use aphogee so can't speak to it, but maybe after you clarified a light protien would be a good idea. You could follow that up with a conditioner then seal the hair immediately after.

Hang in there, April is right around the corner!

-A

Thank you, Arcadian. I am going to try clarifying and deep conditioning tonight. :)
Arcadian said:
23 months! (girl, I'd be crazy and cut it off!)Thats awesome! :yay:

If you're using some heavy products and have never clarified, that may be what you need to do.

I also find that when I deep condition with a damp hot towel on my head for 15 minutes the conditioner works even better. Plus, I do rinse with cool water. As much as I hate putting cool water on my head after washing, it seems to help keep my hair softer too.

I don't use aphogee so can't speak to it, but maybe after you clarified a light protien would be a good idea. You could follow that up with a conditioner then seal the hair immediately after.

Hang in there, April is right around the corner!

-A

Hi Cupcake,

Kudos for transitioning for 23 months. I know it can be hard. Before I cut my relaxed ends off I was having some of the same issues as you. I have mostly 4a hair and it is shorter/tighter in crown area. Some of the things that helped me was applying moisturizer and sealant on wet hair. That seem to keep it softer when it dried. Also I've tried NTM hair mask and I didn't find it very moisturizing or detangling. I liked Nexxus humectress and shea butter and mango cholesterol better. Adding castor oil to my conditioners helped alot. I would also suggest deep conditioning for 30 minutes or more with a plastic cap. Hope this helps, and good luck in your transition.

That is really awesome that you have transitioned this long. Try a clairfying shampoo. Then deep condition.

Brownskin2- Thanks girl. I used to have a lot of luck with Humectress but then stopped- why I don't know. I think I might switch back and deep condition with that to see if it helps.

MizJackson- I am going to try that tonight. Thanks :)

i have no suggestions, but wanted to say kudos on transitioning for that long! i tried to go 6 months and only made it 4... i'm so impatient... :lol:

Congratulations on transitioning so long. I'm giving my braids a rest and am having the same issues you are. i don't have advice but i'm glad you brought this up because i'm wondering the same thing.

Congrats! 23 months is a looonng time! Maybe if I was a 3 something, but with this 4zzzzzzzzz, no way. Like the other said, try clarifying to remove some build up. My girlfriend is natural and she using lots of different moisturizers while her hair is wet to let it hair dry. Good Luck!

I dont know if this will help, but I am stretching as well, and have gotten down to the point, that I slather a mixture of cheapy con and any oil, mixture, onto dry hair, bun and go, with great results. I wash abt every 6-9days, do a light protein tx, let air dry and rpt the process. :)

Back