I need good moisturizing deep conditioner recs please

NYDee

My hair was dry and brittle due to Indigo dye. I now have split ends and white demarcation at the tips of my hair strands. I need something I can use to minimize this kind of problem from the beginning, if I ever find myself in this situation again. I know everyone's hair is different but there are certain products that work for most people Cholesterol is one of those products, a lot of people recommended it for shedding and it helped a lot. What deep conditioners are consistently working for you?

I have the following deep conditioners
- Queen Helene Cholesterol - Love it but not sure if it's a protein or moisturizing conditioner. It helped a lot with my shedding and breakage but also feel it coats my hair a bit.
- Alter Ego Garlic - Is hasn't been that great in really reducing my shedding. I'm also not sure if I should consider it a moisturizing conditioner, I bought mostly for shedding.
- Elasta QP DPR 11+ - Not sure how I feel about this. Initially I thought it was great but now not so much.
- Emergencia - I also like the result of this. Is it a protein or moisturizing conditioner?

i think most of those are pretty heavy on the protein side - you may want to go for a deep moisturizing condish - one that is protein free like my honey child's olive you or curly rehab or even Kenra MC (i don't think that one is protein free, but it has a good balance)....sally's also carries a cheapie generic biolage that is protein free. HTH

I kind of suspected most of them are protein heavy. I have never heard of honey child's olive but I have seen some posts about Kenra MC. I will research both more. I don't have Sallys here so I will have to check their website. Thanks.

i think most of those are pretty heavy on the protein side - you may want to go for a deep moisturizing condish - one that is protein free like my honey child's olive you or curly rehab or even Kenra MC (i don't think that one is protein free, but it has a good balance)....sally's also carries a cheapie generic biolage that is protein free. HTH

Which Emergencia do you have? They make both protein and moisturizing conditioners.

As far as moisturizing dc's go, are you looking to order something online or do you wanna go to Sally's/Walgreens/CVS ASAP?

From Whole Foods, you can't go wrong with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or White Camillia.

From Sally's, GVP Conditioning Balm.

Ordering online, Enso Naturals and Bear Fruit Hair make AAAAAWESOME conditioners. I mean, they're freakin' great! :yep:

CurlMart also has lots of brands, so you can buy from one place. From here, you can get Jessicurl WDT and Curl Junkie Deep Fix/Rehab.

Good luck! :grin:

Last edited:
I hear you, indigo can be a meanie.

Kenra MC
Mizani Moisturefuse
Keracare Humecto
Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Conditioner (Brown/tan)

Natural:
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
AO White Camellia

I add honey and olive oil to my conditioners for that extra moisture. And when I get issues like that I put a plastic cap and leave the DC on for 24+ hours. I've only done that w/AOHSR & AOWC.

My Emegencia doesn't say much. Just Deep intensive hair treatment. Triple action.
Here is the image.

images

I don't mind ordering online as long as it's good stuff. Thanks for the tips.:)

Which Emergencia do you have? They make both protein and moisturizing conditioners.

As far as moisturizing dc's go, are you looking to order something online or do you wanna go to Sally's/Walgreens/CVS ASAP?

From Whole Foods, you can't go wrong with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or White Camillia.

From Sally's, GVP Conditioning Balm.

Ordering online, Enso Naturals and Bear Fruit Hair make AAAAAWESOME conditioners. I mean, they're freakin' great! :yep:

CurlMart also has lots of brands, so you can buy from one place. From here, you can get Jessicurl WDT and Curl Junkie Deep Fix/Rehab.

Good luck! :grin:

Making my list. Thanks.:)

I hear you, indigo can be a meanie.

Kenra MC
Mizani Moisturefuse
Keracare Humecto
Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Conditioner (Brown/tan)

Natural:
AO White Camellia

I add honey and olive oil to my conditioners for that extra moisture. And when I get issues like that I put a plastic cap and leave the DC on for 24+ hours. I've only done that w/AOHSR & AOWC.

So I'm confused.......is DPR -11 deep conditioner is protein based? And not moisturizing???

Please let me know because now I understand why I may not be getting growth???

My regimen as follows;

Cowash once a week with HelloHydration
DC first with dpr11. And every other week mixed with at one reconstructor
Then shampoo with the old CON moist
Then wash and cornow hair and put in kimmaytube leave in!

I'm natural and I just started this regimen about three weeks now but I feel its gotten weaker (hair) and no growth??

I'm naturak and using wigs for growth

Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose or White Camilla you can get it from here cheapest on the internet. www.vitaglo.com

I'm DC'ing with AOHSR right now for the first time, it smells awesome I hope I get results lke everyone else. haven't heard anything but good reviews about this product.

Curlykutie I'm had planned on buying a large amount of stuff from that vitaglo.com site, but they have some bad reviews from previous customers, so that kinda scared me. Have you experienced any shady business or rudeness from them?

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or White Camellia, They can be found in most health food stores, including whole foods as well as vitamin shoppe

I also liked Queen Helene as well but thought something could be improved about it. I turned to Lustrasilk which I feel is similar but better. I recommend it since you liked the Queen.

What did you like better about Lustrasilk brand? They have several types, which one did you use? I ran out the cholesterol I had so I'm willing to try a new type now.

I also liked Queen Helene as well but thought something could be improved about it. I turned to Lustrasilk which I feel is similar but better. I recommend it since you liked the Queen.

Last edited:

Natural:
AO White Camellia

Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose or White Camilla

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or White Camellia, They can be found in most health food stores, including whole foods as well as vitamin shoppe

I'll be the thousandth person to recommend this to you: AUBREY ORGANICS HONEYSUCKLE ROSE. It will not do you wrong, natural, relaxed, textlaxed, etc. Please, please please, give it a try! I wish it came in liter or gallon sizes so I can always have it.

Elucence moisture balancing conditioner is also pretty good.

This is also a wonderful conditioner, but it is very difficult to find in person. It would have to be ordered online, and happens to be a bit lighter than the AO conditioners. It works well on natural, relaxed, and textlaxed hair.

Lastly, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture conditioner is also a very great moisturizing product to use. It can be found at most health food stores, TJMaxx, Ross, etc. It works well on natural, relaxed, and textlaxed hair. It is on par to the Elucence, but more readily available.

The conditioners you currently use are protein based, so to add more moisture, I would add honey or aloe vera juice and your favorite oil to the conditioner mix.

I hope that helps!!

Last edited:
I'm loving this.:D
Thank you!

I'll be the thousandth person to recommend this to you: AUBREY ORGANICS HONEYSUCKLE ROSE. It will not do you wrong, natural, relaxed, textlaxed, etc. Please, please please, give it a try! I wish it came in liter or gallon sizes so I can always have it.

This is also a wonderful conditioner, but it is very difficult to find in person. It would have to be ordered online, and happens to be a bit lighter than the AO conditioners. It works well on natural, relaxed, and textlaxed hair.

Lastly, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture conditioner is also a very great moisturizing product to use. It can be found at most health food stores, TJMaxx, Ross, etc. It works well on natural, relaxed, and textlaxed hair. It is on par to the Elucence, but more readily available.

The conditioners you currently use are protein based, so to add more moisture, I would add honey or aloe vera juice and your favorite oil to the conditioner mix.

I hope that helps!!

Then you would have an even more difficult time getting that thick lovelieness out of the bottle. As it is you have to take the cap off to get it out...try shaking a liter or gallon size bottle upsides down vigorously. Lol.

I'm DC'ing with AOHSR right now for the first time, it smells awesome I hope I get results lke everyone else. haven't heard anything but good reviews about this product.

@Curlykutie I'm had planned on buying a large amount of stuff from that vitaglo.com site, but they have some bad reviews from previous customers, so that kinda scared me. Have you experienced any shady business or rudeness from them?

Never, free shipping over $50 and I always my products quickly.

I hardly use moisturising DCs now but Nexxus Humectress/humectin gets a big thumbs up. Lustrasilk Argan conditioner is also great especially for the price.

So I'm confused.......is DPR -11 deep conditioner is protein based? And not moisturizing???

Please let me know because now I understand why I may not be getting growth???

My regimen as follows;

Cowash once a week with HelloHydration
DC first with dpr11. And every other week mixed with at one reconstructor
Then shampoo with the old CON moist
Then wash and cornow hair and put in kimmaytube leave in!

I'm natural and I just started this regimen about three weeks now but I feel its gotten weaker (hair) and no growth??

I'm naturak and using wigs for growth

sweetvi
DPR-11 is considered a strong protein. I hope you are following it up with a moisture based DC.

A really good moisture based DC: Joico Moisture Balm. I put that on for just 5 minutes one day and could not believe how much moisture it added to my hair in such a short time.

A natural alternative is Chicoro's Pre-poo mix - aloe vera juice/gel plus 1 TBsp of an oil of your choice. Cover with warmed coconut oil.

@sweetvi
DPR-11 is considered a strong protein. I hope you are following it up with a moisture based DC.

A really good moisture based DC: Joico Moisture Balm. I put that on for just 5 minutes one day and could not believe how much moisture it added to my hair in such a short time.

A natural alternative is Chicoro's Pre-poo mix - aloe vera juice/gel plus 1 TBsp of an oil of your choice. Cover with warmed coconut oil.

Man, I thought DPR11 was moisturizing too. mzteaze, what protein is in the dpr11? is one of the ingredients protein laden? TIA

Ingredients: Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint) Leaf Oil, Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Aesculus Hippocasyanum (Horse Chestnut) Extract, Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract in Purified Water/Aqua, PetrolatumCetyle Alcohol, Centrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydroxypropyl trimonium Chloride, Laurus Nobblis Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Neroli Oil, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant)

I find most curls.biz products to be worthless on my hair (thus far) but the one that does miracles is Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Deep Conditioner. Wow, can I just say this is one of the best DC's I've ever used, and that's sayin' something b/c I've been DC'ing since the 90's! :lachen: I also really love Aubrey Organics Jojoba and Aloe. Never tried AOHSR, but I'd try it based on the Jojoba and Aloe.

I have many conditioners, but these are at the top of my list:

Verifen Complex Advanced Conditioning Treatment: You don't need to add or mix oil(s), butter(s), glycerin, other conditioners, etc. It doesn't need "doctoring up" whatsoever. You don't need to do a hot oil treatment. Just use it straight from the canister or jar. This is my most expensive conditioner. I've been using this one the longest, because this is all I knew until I discovered the hair care boards.

You can add oil(s) to the following conditioners:

Motions Moisture Plus: My hair stylist recommended this to me about six years ago, so I started bringing it into the salon. It's inexpensive compared to my other conditioners listed below. It comes in the tube from Walmart--(the cheapest), Target, Kmart--or the tub at beauty supply stores, but the tube and tub don't have all the same ingredients. I bought an 80 ounce tub for $19.59 a few years ago. It has some of the same ingredients as Kera Care.

Silicon Mix: It's finally sold here in some of the beauty supply stores in Los Angeles--which is long overdue--and gradually more stores are receiving it. As big as Los Angeles is, it should have been here a long time ago. You may have to order it online, if it's not sold in your city.

Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment: This is on sale at Sallys at least once every other month.

NTM Hair Masque or Daily Deep Conditioner: Either one is good.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner: All natural and extremely thick.

Last edited:
Back