I need an honest opinion on this hairstyle!

RavenMaven

It's been since Dec 20th, 2008 that I've had my last relaxer and I am contemplating doing a big chop. I would like to leave my bangs though. If you look in my fotki, you can kinda see the kinds of bangs that I have now. It's the side kind. A tad swoop... I can't describe it.

Sorry I'm doing such a horrible job at explaining this!
I mean cutting all of the relaxed ends off of my hair which is everything but one inch of my hair. My bangs would not be cut, which would leave me with a TWA and side bang. Does this make sense?
If anyone has pics of this hairstyle, or can suggest a picture, just link me to it or post it.
Tell me what you think about it! I haven't seen this hairstyle on anyone else.
I'm already getting some breakage on the line of demarc on my edges :(, and it's going to get worse as time continues.

Last edited:
Yes. I wanted to leave my relaxed bangs there, and have the rest natural. I wouldn't relax the bangs, but I would just not cut them off. So technically I would be "transitioning" with my bangs, and fully natural on the rest of my head.

It's been since Dec 20th, 2008 that I've had my last relaxer and I am contemplating doing a big chop. I would like to leave my bangs though. If you look in my fotki, you can kinda see the kinds of bangs that I have now. It's the side kind. A tad swoop... I can't describe it.

But basically I was thinking about BCing and leaving the bangs there just so that I can have people be able to distinguish my gender lol. And I thought that would look cute. I am going to the hairdresser on saturday, so we will see what's happening then.

If anyone has pics of this hairstyle, or can suggest a picture, just link me to it or post it.

Tell me what you think about it! I haven't seen this hairstyle on anyone else.

I'm already getting some breakage on the line of demarc on my edges :(, and it's going to get worse as time continues.

What hairstyle? BC isn't a 'style', it just means cutting off your relaxed hair. How long is your natural hair and how do you plan to style it?

I am not quite sure I'm able to picture what you're talking about

Edited: sorry, see you posted. HONESTLY, I'm not sure that would look good. I mean it might be a nice eclitic/funky style, but I just can't picture it as looking that good...what would you do with your natural hair?

Now if you straightened the rest and left a long bang then I think it would look pretty good like this:

rihanna.jpg

Last edited:
i know what you're talking about. I BC'ed and left my bangs out. however it really bothered me just the thought of knowing I wasnt FULLY natural. someone on the bored suggested I straighten my bangs and sport the BC. I cant find pics of the style.

That sounds vaguely like the hairstyle that Liz had on the old Degrassi Junior High show - she had long [straight] bangs all around the front, and the rest was very closely cropped. I don't recall ever seeing anything similar on anyone else, real or fiction.

oh I forgot my opinion. lol
I'm not sure it would look good. but you never know.
personally, I wouldn't. It's a bit awkward

I mean cutting all of the relaxed ends off of my hair which is everything but one inch of my hair. My bangs would not be cut, which would leave me with a TWA and side bang. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
I think it may look a bit weird, but that's just me.

But depending upon your fashion style, it could be cute. I imagine that type of hairstyle with a punk/skater type of style.

I mean cutting all of the relaxed ends off of my hair which is everything but one inch of my hair. My bangs would not be cut, which would leave me with a TWA and bangs. Does this make sense?

Noooow I gotcha!

I'd need to see a picture to know if it would look good:lol: Just explain it like that to your stylist and have her do it. If you don't like it you can just have her cut the bangs off.

I understand what you are saying cuz I was thinking of doin the same thing. Similar to the Rihanna style someone posted in this thread. But The relaxed bangs I would put a flexi-rod set to make the textures match. Another thought would be to just do the bc and get some weave hair that matches your hair texture and glue toupee clips on the weave track, clip it in your hair and blend it in the with the bc'd hair so you would have a cute gilie style. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I can't picture the style in my mind, and I've never seen it in person, so I'm not certain. What I can say is that from looking at your fotki, I don't think you would have to worry about anyone mistaking you for a guy even if your hair was about an inch long. Maybe, if you don't feel comfortable about a bc right now, you should wait a few more months before doing the bc. It is certainly not for everyone. I think some of the ladies who have actually done a bc will have more input, and I hope more will come in here to give their opinions.

If you straighten your natural hair to blend in with the relaxed bangs then it may look ok, but a curly fro with straight bangs seems a little weird to me.

I don't know OP. What I'm envisioning is not looking so good. :nono: But it might be really cool...you never know. :yep: You could always try it and if looks bad, have your stylist cut the bangs off.

I'm sorry but this reminds me of those yt girls who are stuck in the early 90's who have curly/wavy hair that they pull up in a tight ponytail and the back down, with lots of gel to bring out the curls...and then blow dry the bangs. I mean I hate that style, but I haven't seen a pic of what you're talking about...maybe what you're envisioning is cuter :sad:

But you know what? One of the girls on the LHCF logo has what you're talking about. See?^ She has afro pulled back with a headband and straight swooped bangs and she looks cute...but she's a cartoon...IDK:perplexed

It would look cool if you are the punk/skater type. :yep: I can imagine it, I've seen some of those hairstyles on blacks where they have most of their hair low or shaved, and a longer piece sticking up in the front and gelled up in spikes. Or they have it shaved and the rest in a mohawk.

But if you are trying to be cute... then that wouldn't be cute. :nono:

So it depends. Can you rock it?

I agree with KCcurly. I've actually seen the style with a TWA and a short swoop bang. It didn't look good on the woman at all!

I would suggest that you cut your hair in the Rihanna style below, that way you can slowly chop off the relaxed ends or just do a total BC.

I am not quite sure I'm able to picture what you're talking about

Edited: sorry, see you posted. HONESTLY, I'm not sure that would look good. I mean it might be a nice eclitic/funky style, but I just can't picture it as looking that good...what would you do with your natural hair?

Now if you straightened the rest and left a long bang then I think it would look pretty good like this:

rihanna.jpg

I'm envisioning something like this, but with peachfuzz and without locing:

Attachments

• 2709837592-mohawk-dreadlocks-miss-jupiter-dore-alley-fair-san-francisco.jpg
    2709837592-mohawk-dreadlocks-miss-jupiter-dore-alley-fair-san-francisco.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 29
It would work, in my opinion, if you wore cute hats while your twa is growing out and had your side swept bangs peeking out from underneath. And you could possibly pin your bangs back so they aren't noticeable when you wear your natural hair out.

P.S.

You could also try braiding-out or roller-setting your bangs with very small rollers to make your relax bangs blend with your natural hair if you choose to wear it that way.

Last edited:
That sounds vaguely like the hairstyle that Liz had on the old Degrassi Junior High show - she had long [straight] bangs all around the front, and the rest was very closely cropped. I don't recall ever seeing anything similar on anyone else, real or fiction.

I loved that show! Her hair was pretty cool. OP is this what you mean ^^^.

I can envision what OP is saying but with new growth just from Dec thats not going to be an afro it will be super short due to shrinkage and a straight bang swooped over.

Then you have to remember that the natural hair needs a lot of moisture. You will probably need to Co-wash daily and what will you do with the relaxed bang?

If you are worried about breakage just get some braids or a fall, or a weave. Or just BC it all off. I say All or Nothing.

I can envision what OP is saying but with new growth just from Dec thats not going to be an afro it will be super short due to shrinkage and a straight bang swooped over.

Then you have to remember that the natural hair needs a lot of moisture. You will probably need to Co-wash daily and what will you do with the relaxed bang?

If you are worried about breakage just get some braids or a fall, or a weave. Or just BC it all off. I say All or Nothing.
OH ok I see but what's up the the bangs OP? Why are you holding on to them? Is it a punk thing? Or are you just hanging on to it because you like the cut of the bangs? If it's a punky kind of style I say go for it! But if you're just hanging on to some bangs because of the the look of the bangs and not the whole look of your entire head, get rid of it. Do like the barber did eddie murphy's silly long braid in coming to america. :lachen:

Back