I need a transitioning buddy...

luvn_life

Hello Ladies,

On Thursday of this week, I decided to transition... I can't believe it because I always said I would never do it. :nono: I knew that I would love my natural texture but considering I was almost my goal and the fact that I thought it would be too hard I said I am never gonna do it. But, I just blurted it out to my sis that I wanna do it and she said she's gonna do it too but I can sense the apprehension in her voice...

So, I NEED someone to do it with me. I am already 4 months in (it was accidental) I plan on transitioning for another year.

I have read 2 million threads on transitioning and feel like I have a good amount of knowledge. But I am eager to learn more..

So are there any takers?? Please dont make me beg... LoL:drunk:

Hey I'll be your buddy. I have been transitioning for about two years now. I refuse to do the BC, though HAHA

I'm new here and only 7 weeks post relaxer. I'm really determined to transition (long term). I still have a lot to learn therefore I think having a buddy will be helpful!

Ok well all you guys are my buddies:) Are there any tips you can provide that have help me. I think I'm gonna do the BKT so that I can blend the 2 textures for a while until it grows out more and I can deal...

Creole: I don't wanna do the BC either... LoL But I think I am gonna do it next year when I have more hair. But we'll see, you never know.

I'll be your tranisitioning buddy too! I'll be 7 weeks post tomorrow. I've been back and forth on the idea since I joined the board almost 2 months ago, but I figured since I've only been getting relaxer about 2-3 times a year for the past few years (and this was when I knew nothing about "strectching" ) then I can do this! I said all that to say...I'm in. :yep:

Last edited:
Ok well all you guys are my buddies:) Are there any tips you can provide that have help me. I think I'm gonna do the BKT so that I can blend the 2 textures for a while until it grows out more and I can deal...

Creole: I don't wanna do the BC either... LoL But I think I am gonna do it next year when I have more hair. But we'll see, you never know.

I just make sure that I do a lot of DIY recipes every week like mayo, coconut milk, avocado, and beer masks/rinses. Plus, I stay away from heat as much as possible. I use leave-in conditioner EVERY TIME I shampoo and condition. I usually wash my hair with conditioner, but I shampoo at least once or twice a week depending on whether I've used mousse or gel. I stay away from products with sulfates, parabens, alcohol, and stuff like that that strip the hair of natural oils.

I use a lot of different oils mixed together on my hair, but not on my scalp as much anymore. I detangle my hair while wet in the shower, and I don't rinse out ALL of the conditioner.

I don't use towels to dry my hair unless it's microfiber material. Also, I don't use turbans anymore. I do use long-sleeved shirts, though.

I just make sure that I do a lot of DIY recipes every week like mayo, coconut milk, avocado, and beer masks/rinses. Plus, I stay away from heat as much as possible. I use leave-in conditioner EVERY TIME I shampoo and condition. I usually wash my hair with conditioner, but I shampoo at least once or twice a week depending on whether I've used mousse or gel. I stay away from products with sulfates, parabens, alcohol, and stuff like that that strip the hair of natural oils.

I use a lot of different oils mixed together on my hair, but not on my scalp as much anymore. I detangle my hair while wet in the shower, and I don't rinse out ALL of the conditioner.

I don't use towels to dry my hair unless it's microfiber material. Also, I don't use turbans anymore. I do use long-sleeved shirts, though.

Well Well well... I'm glad you're my buddy:grin: You have a lot of tricks. What are the shampoos and condishes that you use?? Also, I wanna do the not washing conditioner out method as well. I saw it on biracialhair.org and I fell in love. I think that will be good to weigh my curls down more instead of out. Did you have alot of breakage or has your journey been pretty soomth??

hey. hope i'm not too late. lol i'm transitioning too. i've thought about transitioning in the past, but my hairstylists usually just laughed at me, and told me i wouldn't make it, which i never did, b/c i knew nothing about growing out my relaxer. since finding this site, i definently think it's doable. i'm currently 4 months post relaxer. i originally started out as just trying to stretch my relaxer, but realized if i could make it this far, then what was the point.

i've started washing my hair twice weekly. i usually prepoo, wash, deep condition, and then use a leave in conditioner, and air dry in a ponytail. i''ve also started using beemine and taking vitamins as well.

Looks like this has turned into a transitioning clique. :lachen: I don't think I've been doing a great job at this; I've had a lot of breakage and my twistouts and braidouts look a mess. :sad:

Well Well well... I'm glad you're my buddy:grin: You have a lot of tricks. What are the shampoos and condishes that you use?? Also, I wanna do the not washing conditioner out method as well. I saw it on biracialhair.org and I fell in love. I think that will be good to weigh my curls down more instead of out. Did you have alot of breakage or has your journey been pretty soomth??

Thanks. Likewise! I never thought I'd stop relaxing either, but I see photos from my childhood when I wasn't allowed to relax...and I AM SO JEALOUS OF MY FORMER SELF LOL.

I have a lot of breakage from heat styling, color, and relaxers combined. I wouldn't say it's from transitioning. I use Brendita's Body Works shampoo whenever possible, but since I ran out, I'm using my leftover shampoos by Herbal Essences (Long Term Relationship), Silicon Mix Pearl Extract, and Sunsilk Summer coconut w/ SPF. I've decided to start budgeting more by using up all the products that I hoard before buying anything else, even though I REALLY hate the fact that these 'poos have sulfates :( lol

The only shampoo I recommend is Brendita's Body Works brand bc that's the first and only natural shampoo that I've used.

As for conditioners, I use Long Term Relationship by HE, Organix Coconut, Dove shine therapy, Pantene moisture balance nature fusion, HE Hydralicious (the purple one for reconstructing the hair), Brendita's Body Works' brand, Nexxus Dualiste, and John Frieda Weather Works.

I'm not as picky with conditioners as you can see because I mostly use them for definition and detangling.

As for leave-ins, I have been using my regular conditioners until they run out since I have so many in the bathroom SMH.

I want to get into using butters, though, once I run out. What are your fave products?

Hello Ladies,

On Thursday of this week, I decided to transition... I can't believe it because I always said I would never do it. :nono: I knew that I would love my natural texture but considering I was almost my goal and the fact that I thought it would be too hard I said I am never gonna do it. But, I just blurted it out to my sis that I wanna do it and she said she's gonna do it too but I can sense the apprehension in her voice...

So, I NEED someone to do it with me. I am already 4 months in (it was accidental) I plan on transitioning for another year.

I have read 2 million threads on transitioning and feel like I have a good amount of knowledge. But I am eager to learn more..

So are there any takers?? Please dont make me beg... LoL:drunk:

OMG girl, you know I can be your buddy... funny you mention this because i decided on 8/4/09 (last week), that I was going to transition. Like yourself, I still cant believe it because I thought I wasn't going to go natural till I was like 30, or till I made my goal at BSL. But I've decided, what the heck, and I realized that I really want to be natural. Wow. And we decided in the same week too.. Sooo funny...

We already in the same area.. That's wassup!!!!

Last edited:
hey. hope i'm not too late. lol i'm transitioning too. i've thought about transitioning in the past, but my hairstylists usually just laughed at me, and told me i wouldn't make it, which i never did, b/c i knew nothing about growing out my relaxer. since finding this site, i definently think it's doable. i'm currently 4 months post relaxer. i originally started out as just trying to stretch my relaxer, but realized if i could make it this far, then what was the point.

i've started washing my hair twice weekly. i usually prepoo, wash, deep condition, and then use a leave in conditioner, and air dry in a ponytail. i''ve also started using beemine and taking vitamins as well.

Nope we'll take anybody... Welcome to the CurlMeleons ( I LOVE that name)

That sounds like a good reggie. I think I'll be cowashing more and use actual shampoo like once every two weeks. Shampoo is just very stripping and so I will prbably just use it for clarifying purposes.

Last edited:
OMG girl, you know I can be your buddy... funny you mention this because i decided on 8/4/09 (last week), that I was going to transition. Like yourself, I still cant believe it because I thought I wasn't going to go natural till I was like 30, or till I made my goal at BSL. But I've decided, what the heck, and I realized that I really want to be natural. Wow. And we decided in the same week too.. Sooo funny...

We already in the same area.. That's wassup!!!!

What!!!! I can't believe you:lachen: When I decided I sent a text to Tish and she was like PRAISE HIM!!! LoL.. I was like we'll be planning another girls day soon so I can grill them for info on transitioning. We will definitely be getting together soon.

Thanks. Likewise! I never thought I'd stop relaxing either, but I see photos from my childhood when I wasn't allowed to relax...and I AM SO JEALOUS OF MY FORMER SELF LOL.

I have a lot of breakage from heat styling, color, and relaxers combined. I wouldn't say it's from transitioning. I use Brendita's Body Works shampoo whenever possible, but since I ran out, I'm using my leftover shampoos by Herbal Essences (Long Term Relationship), Silicon Mix Pearl Extract, and Sunsilk Summer coconut w/ SPF. I've decided to start budgeting more by using up all the products that I hoard before buying anything else, even though I REALLY hate the fact that these 'poos have sulfates :( lol

The only shampoo I recommend is Brendita's Body Works brand bc that's the first and only natural shampoo that I've used.

As for conditioners, I use Long Term Relationship by HE, Organix Coconut, Dove shine therapy, Pantene moisture balance nature fusion, HE Hydralicious (the purple one for reconstructing the hair), Brendita's Body Works' brand, Nexxus Dualiste, and John Frieda Weather Works.

I'm not as picky with conditioners as you can see because I mostly use them for definition and detangling.

As for leave-ins, I have been using my regular conditioners until they run out since I have so many in the bathroom SMH.

I want to get into using butters, though, once I run out. What are your fave products?

I don't have any line up I wanna get all new products. Except for Giovanni Smooth as Silk... That leaves my hair like butter. But I wanna get new shampoos and conditioners to leave in. I bought HE dangerously straight becuase even though its not for curls Teri (on biracialhair.org) highly recommended to fight frizz. But I just wanna try all types of stuff.

Do you have any pics of your transitioning process??

I'm transitioning too... I'm 33 weeks (almost 8 months) post and my earliest BC target is at 15 months post (65 weeks) but I'd really love to BC @ 18 months post (79 weeks) - lol, I've done all my exact calculations.

Good luck with your transition :-)

Nope we'll take anybody... Welcome to the CurlMeleons ( I LOVE that name)

That sounds like a good reggie. I think I'll be cowashing more and use actual shampoo like once every two weeks. Shampoo is just very stripping and so I will prbably just use it for clarifying purposes.

i like this name too!!

What!!!! I can't believe you:lachen: When I decided I sent a text to Tish and she was like PRAISE HIM!!! LoL.. I was like we'll be planning another girls day soon so I can grill them for info on transitioning. We will definitely be getting together soon.

That's funny, because I told the both of them too when I made that decision.

Yayyyy. I'm adding all you ladies to my friends list so we can KIT. I've subscribed to this thread, too.

FYI for anyone wondering about the name of the "clique," I thought of Curlmeleons because when we're all finally 100% naturally textured again, our hair will be able to be sooo much more versatile. We can go from the curliest on the hairstyle spectrum to the straightest! We'll be hair chameleons lol! =D

I don't have any line up I wanna get all new products. Except for Giovanni Smooth as Silk... That leaves my hair like butter. But I wanna get new shampoos and conditioners to leave in. I bought HE dangerously straight because even though its not for curls Teri (on biracialhair.org) highly recommended to fight frizz. But I just wanna try all types of stuff.

Do you have any pics of your transitioning process??

I've heard lots of ppl mention Giovanni! I want to try it now so my hair can feel like butter, too! LOL I'll try HE Dangerously Straight just bc I luv the scent of Herbal Essences...yum!

I used to have lots of pictures from when my hair was freshly relaxed but I've only found one left. BTW I haven't taken most of the photos I have up for hair display purposes, so excuse my face being in the way LOL. I'll try to take better pics. This one is from years ago taken with my old camera phone, and the quality isn't that great:

l_3539260161a34fc59b05e7396a12e9ee.jpg

^^all of my hair was a weird straightish wavy texture at that time.

Here's some of my hair with both textures, but the straightness from the relaxers reverted. That makes it a bit hard for me to see the demarcation point:

l_7824608021e3dddc8375bf7a26259aa6.jpg

l_3e3397ecb3054962a614aeac9675b3c3.jpg

l_ffb97e06fdbd223fc6f32e7ef5f30c3d.jpg

l_d10607e0125a745d5a2f3263010cfda4.jpg

LOL

l_7e10d92a176240299a7edb6618daec56.jpg

Back