I need a flat ironing regimen

What's your current flat ironing regimen? Including products, process, how high the heat is, and what type of tools you use. Oh and are you natural or relaxed?

and are you using a heat protectant? if so, what are you using? How many passes are you giving for each section?

I usually just wash with ors or keracare then dc with any conditioner than after I rinse that out an apply The generic brand of the Conditioning Balm n then I blow dry then flat iron. I have the original Chi n it doesnt have temperature settings.

I usually just wash with ors or keracare then dc with any conditioner than after I rinse that out an apply The generic brand of the Conditioning Balm n then I blow dry then flat iron. I have the original Chi n it doesnt have temperature settings.

So you don't use a heat protectant.

Like Qualitee asked, how many passes do you use when you blow dry/flat iron?

Oh and how often do you use heat? How often do you deep condition?

It seems to me that crunch is a combination of dryness, product, and heat damage due to lack of protectant.

I dont flat iron much at all havent in three months but I don't want the outcome to be the same I only do one pass with the flat iron. I use to use silk fusion as a protectant n I have that one by loreal but I dont like it n I ran out of silk fusion n have to order more

So you don't use a heat protectant.

Like Qualitee asked, how many passes do you use when you blow dry/flat iron?

Oh and how often do you use heat? How often do you deep condition?

It seems to me that crunch is a combination of dryness, product, and heat damage due to lack of protectant.

Do you flat iron your hair MSA?

i'm in the same boat.

my hair feels brittle when i flat iron. the ends feel dry. i use a heat protectant and dont go over more than once or twice. i just feel to go dowse my hair in water and throw it in a bun. unfortunately, i look my best when it's flat ironed. i dont know what to do. too much moisture and it looks stringy

Hmm... I would consider myself a pretty good flat iron heat person....
This is what I do... Ends are the most susceptible to heat damage (IMO) and the roots are relatively stronger.. (I have never heard of someone getting heat damage on the roots)... anywho..

Wash/Cowash and DC...
Towel dry (just to squeeze out the water)
Apply leave ins while hair is still relatively wet (not sopping/not almost dry either)
Light handed on the leave ins!!! I like these leave ins for light silky hair..
I spray giovanni vitaprofusion first
I use a dime sized amount of my creamy moisturizer (KBB, Jasmines, GAHL Flat Iron Creme) (I like swing and too much of any creamy will give you weighed down)
Heat Protectant.. (Solitude has me really liking Nexxus; but I also bought some T3 Heat Boost that I have not tried yet)
Airdry/Blowdry (pick your poison)
Hair after you blow dry/air dry it should be light .. not sticky or weighed down.. if so.. you used too much.. try to use natural products for my moisturizers.. less chance of getting a weighed down look.

1/2 dime sized amount of moisturizer on the ends.. (just the ends)

Quality Ceramic Flat Iron (FHI Technique/Platform/Runway)

I use 450. I do one pass.. I don't see what the point is of turning the heat down and then doing 5x.. I ain't got all day.. :lachen:

To get new growth at the roots.... get as close as you can to the roots.. and use tapping motion ... open close.. open close.. (3 or 4x..) your hair will be silky straight at the roots. (A must for me)

When flat ironing the shaft after the tapping movement.. make it one swift movement from top to bottom (turning the flat iron for curls; or just curving it outwards for straight)...

Morrocanoil or another light (LIGHT) oil to finish.. starting from the ends and working the way up.

This is just my regimen.. try it.. maybe it needs tweaks for your hair.. but my ends look pretty good and I flat iron pretty regularly with no breakage.

Good luck!

my hair used to be like that when i flat ironed...these are some of the things i started doing:

*i don't know if you are using heat when you DC, but find a good conditioner that you will use every time instead of any old thing. for me, that took some experimentation, but now it's GVP conditioning balm OR kenra mc. if i add a little aphogee 2 min, raw honey and oil, my hair is super moisturized.

*i can't blow dry then flat iron or it will be really dry. yes, blow drying is faster, but it always, no matter what i do, sucks the moisture right out of my head. instead, i set my hair on flexirods or magnetic rollers and sit under the hood dryer to dry it. this is crucial.

*my hair is still ever so slightly damp when i flat iron it. this seems to lock in the moisture...however, don't have it TOO wet or you will hear popping and feel your scalp fry from the steam!

*coconut oil + chi silk infusion (or sabino if it's really hot outside) complete the task. i apply these right before i flat iron -- just a dab though.

When is the last time you clarified your hair? It could be product buildup that causing the rough texture after flatironing....

Here's my current regimen:

-Deep condition with a moisturizing/protein conditioner (depends on what your hair needs) mixed w/ oil (either coconut or grapeseed) under a dryer for 30 mins

-rinse and apply a leave in conditioner ( I use Lacio Lacio and Aphogee Green Tea Keratin Reconstructor) and let air dry completely, or blowdry when almost dry

-lightly apply a heat protectant, too much of it can cause the hair to feel coated/crunchy (I use Chi Silk Infusion and Fantasia IC).

Since I'm relaxed, I use the iron at no more than 320-350 degrees and I only give each section one pass....i don't need that much heat.
-

hmm...

1. only flat-iron on clean, 100% dry (unless you're using a wet to dry iron), previously deep conditioned hair.
2. go easy on the leave-in. some can make the hair feel crunchy when exposed to high heat. on days i know i'm gonna flat iron, i just DC in the wash & skip the leave in.
3. use heat protectant. tresseme has a good one.
4. use your hands to spread the heat protectant all over your hair, from roots to tips.
5. invest in a quality serum. chi silk infusion is a very good one; ion silk drops = my favorite.
6. flat iron in small sections, no more than 1/2 an inch thick & 3 inches wide.

if just your ends are coming out crunchy, make sure to completely detangle all the way through to the ends before passing the iron through the hair, & hold the hair taut as you pull the iron from the top to bottom of each section.

result? swangy, crunch free hair!

I highly recommend FHI Hot Sauce as a heat protectant. I apply it to my damp hair after my leave-in, and let my hair air dry to about 95%. Then I flat iron at a temperature of about 350-370. The results are in my avi.

Alrite even tho 90% of the forum knows my heat reggie already I'll bite. LOL

-clarify every 3 weeks (protein every time I clarify using PM super strong)
-shampoo with Rite Aid T gel shampoo (my eczema suffering scalp's precious). I leave on for 5 minutes and rinse.
-DC with PM super charged moisturizer with heat for 15-20 mins
-rinse and squeeze out water
-add PM the conditioner (leave in) and PM gloss drops
-dry loose under dryer until maybe 80 percent dry
-blow dry with ceramic and tourmaline blow drier
-flat iron with sedu at 360

that's it. I'll pin curl at night. Usually every 2-3 days Ill put some more gloss drops in my hair. My hair is so swangy I can't even wrap it anymore!! The gloss drops really keep my moisture level steady and PM in general is my fav line. HTH and HHG!

Back