I love the this product!

areneea

I tried the henna and jasmine hair mask from LUSH, and I love it!!!!! Has anyone else tried it? What's your opinion?

I worry a little about the "safe synthetic" ingredients in the product. Do you know if the following are OK for hair? Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxycitronellol, Perfume, Methylparaben, and Propylparaben.

I worry a little about the "safe synthetic" ingredients in the product. Do you know if the following are OK for hair? Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxycitronellol, Perfume, Methylparaben, and Propylparaben.

My opinion....no. But my hair can't stand that stuff. There are others whose hair thrives on it. It really depends on your hair. My hair likes the simple stuff in simple form. No complex chemical compounds for this head.:nono:

truth be told, everything in red is not so good for the hair. parabens have been linked to cancer (18 out of 20 tumors contain parabens; search on google for the specific study), perfumes contain many toxic ingredients, and sodium lauryl sulfates are some of the harshest chemical detergents around, and can seriously strip your hair if you don't follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

however, if used in moderation this should be totally fine.

i don't trust many of lush's products... several of them have poor reviews on their own website, plus just about all of their products contain mineral oil, sulfates, or propylene glycol (derivative of mineral oil).

truth be told, everything in red is not so good for the hair. parabens have been linked to cancer (18 out of 20 tumors contain parabens; search on google for the specific study), perfumes contain many toxic ingredients, and sodium lauryl sulfates are some of the harshest chemical detergents around, and can seriously strip your hair if you don't follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

however, if used in moderation this should be totally fine.

i don't trust many of lush's products... several of them have poor reviews on their own website, plus just about all of their products contain mineral oil, sulfates, or propylene glycol (derivative of mineral oil).

I work for Lush and we don't use mineral oil in our products; true, we do use propylene glycol which is a derivative of mineral oil, but no mineral oil is directly present in any of our products. The Jasmine & Henna Fluff Eaze itself does not contain propylene glycol. :yep: I've used this product since it came out last September and it works just fine for my hair. It does make my kinky hair quite fluffy! Of the reviews on the website, you can only take some at face value. Some will review when they even haven't tried the product and some will give it one star because they didn't like the smell. Not every one is a lover of jasmine. I can't take the smell in our Flying Fox shower gel or or Youki Hi bath bomb, but I do love it in this product.

Here's what Lush has to say about your product ingredient concerns:

Propylene glycol is a humectant or humidifying-and-delivery ingredient used in cosmetics. Humectants bind ingredients together through moisture, as well as help the skin absorb and retain the product’s moisture content. These rumours also state that tests show it to be a strong skin irritant. Although it is true that propylene glycol in 100% concentration is used as antifreeze, but in cosmetics it is used in only the smallest amounts to keep products from melting in high heat or freezing when it is cold. It also helps active ingredients penetrate the skin. In the minute amounts used in cosmetics, propylene glycol is of no concern. <--- quote from the Lush gurus

The Sodium Lauryl Sulfate acts as a foaming and cleansing agent as well as an emulsifier in some products. The foam molecules will adhere to the oil and dirt on the skin or hair. The oil and dirt will be suspended in the foam and then get washed away.

Although Sodium Lauryl Sulfate has been used safely for approximately 40 years within the cosmetics industry; Lush has received a lot of queries in recent years from people who say it is a carcinogenic. There are a lot of scare-mongering sites on the Internet about this ingredient but none with any real research or proof. There are also many reputable bodies that agree that this is a safe ingredient to use.

One of our founders has done a lot of research on Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and has found that the suspected carcinogenic link may be because during the manufacturing process, there is a possible chance that nitrosamines can be introduced, but research has found that the risk is very small. These nitrosamines are also found in the air through pollution and in smoked foods. There are far greater risks associated with sitting in the sun, using chemical hair dyes, using many deodorants and obviously from smoking. We label it a safe synthetic and leave it to our customers to decide. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

P.S. For those who ask "Why are they using that stuff in their products when they're supposed to be all natural and organic? :blah: :blah: :blah:, let me just give you the stats: 100% vegetarian, 74% vegan (because of lanolin in some products), and 77% natural. Lush never has made claims of being 100% natural, 100% organic... I've been using this stuff for 9 years and those words are always attached to our products. We do use organic ingredients, but like most people who hear that word they automatically assume the whole she-bang is organic. That's a nice compliment, but we also focus on no animal testing, making our products by hand, and we only buy from ethical suppliers.

Last edited:
I tried it once but the smell is really strong! It did leave my hair soft and smooth, but the ingredients turned me off!

Back