Lush Caca Noir Henna...Recently?

I used to work at LUSH and used this in my own hair for a store demo. It definitely darkened my natural color and left it feeling nice but had it not been for the employee discount, there's no way I would pay full price for it. I think because it is mixed with cocoa butter, it's not as strong or something, because the color only lasted like 2 weeks at the most. And that's a lot of trouble with trying to melt it and everything for only 2 weeks.

davisbr88 Thanks for sharing. I would love to work at a LUSH store. You are right about the cocoa butter "diluting" the strength of the henna and indigo. I grated mine with a cheese grater and it melted down perfectly. It was a breeze to melt down and mix and loved the consistency of it.; it was very easy to apply too. The price isn't an issue for me, but for those on a budget, it's still worth it in my opinion. Of course, I don't have coarse, thick hair and one brick would yield 2-3 uses for me. I'm relaxed with fine, thin shoulder-to-armplt length hair.

I actually came back in to tell Ms_CoCo37 that I loved my results! I rinsed the Caca Noir out by lying my head back in the tub and letting it soak out and Viola! It rinsed out perfectly. I smoothed in my Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and did another dunk. The bathtub was coated with blue oil, but it cleaned out easily. I air dried and went to bed.

This morning when I awoke, I took my shower and used a cleansing conditioner (Chaz Dean's SixThirteen) to get any remaining bits of the Caca Noir and my hair was nice and dark and my grays are covered. My hair is perfectly fragranced and moisturized thanks to the cocoa butter and the SixThirteen.

I like this product very much. :up: :up: I plan to always keep a brick of this around in addition to my other powders. It's great to have another alternative to my henna/indigo that can be found at my local mall versus having to order online.

Nice job LUSH.

I've got Caca Noir in my hair right now. It's been in since 7:00pm and will rinse out at 1:00am. That will be 6 hours. I didn't cover my hair with plastic wrap since the instructions say to leave it out if you want darker hair and that's what I want. I hope it will be a success. I love the scent of it much better than the powdered products. It smells really good to me.

Wish me luck ladies! This is the first time using LUSH Henna and I've been doing henna and indigo since February 2007. :yep:

I just want to see how this product compares to my other henna/indigo experiences.
I'm glad you had a great experience, january noir! You know I love me some Lush henna...I use Caca Rouge.

I wrote a review of my latest henna experience in the Lush thread. My Caca Rouge this time was different than any henna I've ever had before, like it was a whole different formulation. The texture was almost jello-like, instead of mud-like...it was kind of spongy. Anyways, it gave me my BEST henna ever! The color is so fantastically rich and vibrant, and my hair was incredibly soft, moisturized and smooth. :yep:

I also added a few spoonfuls of plain, full-fat Greek yogurt to my mix...the first time I've ever added anything besides water. I know the yogurt had a lot to do with the extra conditioning I got, but the current batch of Lush red henna gives AMAZING color. :yep: I went back and stocked up on a few more bars.

I'm glad you had a great experience, january noir! You know I love me some Lush henna...I use Caca Rouge.

I wrote a review of my latest henna experience in the Lush thread. My Caca Rouge this time was different than any henna I've ever had before, like it was a whole different formulation. The texture was almost jello-like, instead of mud-like...it was kind of spongy. Anyways, it gave me my BEST henna ever! The color is so fantastically rich and vibrant, and my hair was incredibly soft, moisturized and smooth. :yep:

I also added a few spoonfuls of plain, full-fat Greek yogurt to my mix...the first time I've ever added anything besides water. I know the yogurt had a lot to do with the extra conditioning I got, but the current batch of Lush red henna gives AMAZING color. :yep: I went back and stocked up on a few more bars.

mstar I recall reading your review in the LUSH thread; your hair color is beautiful! :yep: You should do a review and video on your blog.

The more I look at my hair today, the more I love it! I'm going to stock up too! It's sooooo worth the price! I can see me getting 4-5 of these henna bars. This eliminates the 2-step process that I've been doing for years! :up: LOVE IT! :love:

I purchased some Lush henna (Caca Noir) about 3 weeks ago and used it before I got my hair cornrowed.

Surprisingly, it did a much better job in making my hair black-er than it did when I used it 2 years ago :grin:

I, too, used to work at Lush and will be heading back there this holiday season (so I'll be working at my main job, as well as Anthropologie and Lush)

Discounts, discounts, here I come. I plan on loading up on the henna. I hadn't been there for so long that I had no idea the price went up from $19.95 to $24.95. It did not make my hair dry, so it's a keeper!

I just finished and my hair is black and shiny! :up: Oh my!
Ummm, this is so much better than the 2-step process when time is of the essence.

Hitting the LUSH store tomorrow to get at least 2 bars! :yep:

Does the Lush henna have the same properties as BAQ henna? I've used Lush henna in the past, but its been years - maybe 10. I barely remember if I liked it or not. :lol:

Ms_CoCo37 - BAQ (body art quality) henna is pure henna (no additives, mineral salts, etc) that's finely ground and shifted. Unlike other hennas like Rainbow or other store purchased brands, it's easy to apply and it rinses out completely. The consistency when mixed is more like a brownie or pancake batter depending on how much liquid you use.

Unlike "commercial" henna that's not 100% pure, it doesn't dry out or damage your hair. HTH.

greenandchic, duh! Now I feel like a sped.:lol: I don't know why I didn't make the connection right away.

As far as the Lush is concerned, it is the consistency of a brownie mixture (nice and creamy). I have found the application process to be fairly easy (not too messy). I do like to use a shikaki shampoo bar when washing the henna out. When I use it, the henna residue washes out super easy.

Does the Lush henna have the same properties as BAQ henna? I've used Lush henna in the past, but its been years - maybe 10. I barely remember if I liked it or not. :lol:
greenandchic It doesn't say it specifically, but I'm pretty sure it is. I use body art quality henna and indigo and have for years. I buy my henna and indigo from Henna Sooq or Mehandi. The LUSH henna has cocoa butter in it and it really, really conditions. I love it.

greenandchic, I've never tried co-washing it out, but I don't see why you can't. I like to rinse it really well before I use the shikaki bar. When I do, I notice the water usually becomes clear pretty quickly.

Perhaps you might like to try WEN or Hair One (Sally's generic version of WEN). They're both conditioner cleansers, and they don't strip your hair of oils.

greenandchic It doesn't say it specifically, but I'm pretty sure it is. I use body art quality henna and indigo and have for years. I buy my henna and indigo from Henna Sooq or Mehandi. The LUSH henna has cocoa butter in it and it really, really conditions. I love it.

Cool! I may have to revisit the Lush - especially if I want an abbreviated henna session.

greenandchic, I've never tried co-washing it out, but I don't see why you can't. I like to rinse it really well before I use the shikaki bar. When I do, I notice the water usually becomes clear pretty quickly.

Perhaps you might like to try WEN or Hair One (Sally's generic version of WEN). They're both conditioner cleansers, and they don't strip your hair of oils.

I will try that - thanks!

mstar I recall reading your review in the LUSH thread; your hair color is beautiful! :yep: You should do a review and video on your blog.

The more I look at my hair today, the more I love it! I'm going to stock up too! It's sooooo worth the price! I can see me getting 4-5 of these henna bars. This eliminates the 2-step process that I've been doing for years! :up: LOVE IT! :love:
LOL, that's not my hair in my avatar. The pic is 2 years old, and those are braids. :lol: This latest batch of Caca Rouge has turned my real hair a really rich shade of burgundy...I love it. But the color is so vibrant that I think I'll start alternating with Caca Brun or Marron, so that my hair doesn't get too red.

Btw, I only leave mine in for 2-3 hours, and I get plenty of color and conditioning. I used to do 8 hours or overnight, and I think that just dries the hair out.

Yes, it is BAQ. It does have additives: cocoa butter, rosemary, lemon juice, powdered herbs, and clove bud oil for scent...basically the same additives we would use in our BAQ henna mixes. The brown and maroon hennas also contain coffee for color.

I exclusively cowash my Lush henna out. It rinses out really easily.

Bumping this thread up for any recent experiences.

I'm sitting with the Lush caca brun on my hair now.

It's my 1st time using this bar. I usually use the regular henna from Mehandi but there's a new-ish Lush store in Roosevelt field so I bought the bar to try it out.

So far I've found this a little messier to mix and apply possibly because its my first time and my mixture was a little dryer & thicker because I was afraid to put too much hot water & make it too soupy. Not sure if I covered every strand.

I added about 2 tbsp of Amla oil and I will leave it on for about 3 hours and then rinse well with water and then co-wash with Suave & finally 613.

I did use it 3 times and all 3 were a bust. I love Nupur Henna and will continue to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

Back