i know this is weird, but is it also damaging

felicia

i recently went to a different shop to get a relaxer and trim. i liked the price and results. the thing is she blowdried my hair before applying the relaxer
shocked.gif
look.gif
i think it was bc i had so much newgrowth and it was so thick she couldnt get a comb through. I want to go back for my next relaxer, but not if its damamging in the long run.

that sounds scary. i wouldnt do it just because your hair has more potential to break bc of the demarcation point which is very weak meaning the point btw the relaxed and natural newgrowth.

No way, the relaxer dries your hair as it is. Perhaps you should deal with someone else who knows how to handle newgrowth.

That sounds really damaging. Perhaps you can try parting and combing your hair in several sections days before your relaxer and applying castor oil to the new growth. That way when it's time for the relaxer, it will be a bit easier to handle. Good Luck!

doesn't blowdrying your hair open your scalp and pores as well? i would think the relaxer would have burned after she did that

That's what I was going to say FineChyna. Blowdrying and combing DOES open the pores on your scalp which can lead to burns.

Felicia, if you don't want to change stylists, I would advise prepping your hair better next time you get it done. Comb through your new growth in the shower the last time you wash your hair before your relaxer. This way, she shouldn't have to try to comb/detangle it when you go to her.

Ditto...I would think your head would be ON FIRE after that. I have a bad habit of not combing my new growth thouroughly when it gets to be thick...I try to wash like two days prior to my relaxer and detangle then, so even if i don't comb much it still isn't TOO hard for my stylist to get the relaxer through
[ QUOTE ]
FineChyna said:
doesn't blowdrying your hair open your scalp and pores as well? i would think the relaxer would have burned after she did that

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm the only one but I don't think this is too bad. Maybe your new growth was really so thick that she would have not been able to apply the relaxer right so she made sure. Just my opinion though.

I understood why she did it..because my new growth is so thick and coarse i loose a lot of hair because they can't comb thru my new growth at all!! they can't even part my hair to apply the relaxer..so what i do is i flat iron my new growth 1-2 days before i go for a perm..therefore my new growth is manageable and my pores have a chance to close up. I dunno about blowdrying it the day off the relaxer sounds dangerous IMO..

You may want to call (or see her in person) and ask why she blowdried your hair first and see what she has to say. That way you'll know for sure if she doesn't understand how to work with new growth or if she was trying to manage it better.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
You may want to call (or see her in person) and ask why she blowdried your hair first and see what she has to say. That way you'll know for sure if she doesn't understand how to work with new growth or if she was trying to manage it better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I asked if it was ok if she did that before applying a relaxer? she said yes. And I asked her why she did it she said it made it easier to apply. It burned, but not until she was about to go over it with the comb for the second time and i told her it was time to wash it off. amazingly, i have no burns or scabs.

Back