I just ordered Affirm Fiberguard Sustenance. Now what?

LikeNoOther

Good Morning Ladies,

I ordered the Fiberguard Sustenance treatment from Irby's on Friday, and was wondering how to use it i.e. heat, length of time, etc. My stylists has used this for a deep treatment on my hair when it was breaking, and she covered my hair with a cap for 10-15 minutes and placed me under the dryer. Does anyone have a bottle, that they can post the instructions from? Or, just share your own tips on how you use the product. Also can anyone tell me what to expect, like is it detangling and provide good slip? Very moisturizing? Again my stylists has used it on me, but I never have used it myself, so I've personally never touched my hair w/ the product in it, detangled w/ it, etc. If all goes well, I plan on using this weekly to support my relaxed, color-treated hair.

Responses appreciated ladies. Thanks ;)

Last edited:
Sustenance feels extremely slippery when applying but when I wash it out my hair isn't super easy to detangle (take in to account that I am 2 years - post relaxer). I like to use it during the relaxing process and about 3-4 months post relaxer because I worry about the comb-out anytime after that.

Okay here are the instructions on the bottle that says New & Improved:

As weekly Intensive Conditioning Treatment: Apply liberally after shampooing and distribute well. Cover hair with plastic cap and leave on up to 30 minutes for damaged hair. (Dryer Optional) Rinse well and proceed to style.

LiLi said:
Sustenance feels extremely slippery when applying but when I wash it out my hair isn't super easy to detangle (take in to account that I am 2 years - post relaxer). I like to use it during the relaxing process and about 3-4 months post relaxer because I worry about the comb-out anytime after that.

Okay here are the instructions on the bottle that says New & Improved:

As weekly Intensive Conditioning Treatment: Apply liberally after shampooing and distribute well. Cover hair with plastic cap and leave on up to 30 minutes for damaged hair. (Dryer Optional) Rinse well and proceed to style.

Thanks LiLi :)

Do you find that it makes your hair stronger or softens your new growth? Maybe I will mix it w/ the Humecto to supplement for the 'slip factor' if I find that it doesn't detangle well. As I previously stated, only my stylists has used this on my hair so I have never actually had to detangle my own hair or account for the texture as she usually follows up w/ a leave in and styling foam as well.
Anyone else? :)

LikeNoOther said:
Thanks LiLi :)

Do you find that it makes your hair stronger or softens your new growth? Maybe I will mix it w/ the Humecto to supplement for the 'slip factor' if I find that it doesn't detangle well. As I previously stated, only my stylists has used this on my hair so I have never actually had to detangle my own hair or account for the texture as she usually follows up w/ a leave in and styling foam as well.
Anyone else? :)

Well I just noticed that your "Can't live without" items and I think you will love the Sustenance. Humecto doesn't give me any slip whatsoever ... I just love the smell. :love:

You could follow the Sustenance with Humecto if you feel that it doesn't give you enough slip. I don't feel that it softens my new growth noticeably; but we have a different hair type and different product likes. It definitely strengthens and, like I said before, I use it during the relaxer process and 3-4 months after my relaxer.

I've tried it twice now and I've also realized that it feels slippery going on but when I wash it out, the tangles are still there. Someone on here did suggest clarifying before using this treatment.

Back