I just cant seem to curb the breakage

Jessofpal

I've been moisturizing with SCurl but it was leaving my hair too soggy and product laden so I switched to ORS olive oil in the bottle. I've been sealing. I've been tying my hair up and still when I comb, wash, put in conditioner I'm losing hair. It feels dry so it seems like a case of too much protein not enough moisture. But now I'm beginning to thing that the opposite is true. Please help me!
:cry:

I've been moisturizing with SCurl but it was leaving my hair too soggy and product laden so I switched to ORS olive oil in the bottle. I've been sealing. I've been tying my hair up and still when I comb, wash, put in conditioner I'm losing hair. It feels dry so it seems like a case of too much protein not enough moisture. But now I'm beginning to thing that the opposite is true. Please help me!

What is your usual regime. List all of your products. Sometimes, product build up will show it's self in breakage and dryness.

For starter's, I know the ladies will ask...are you natural or relaxed?.. What exactly is your hair doing and feeling? the More info we have the easier it will be to make suggestions to help you... What is your regimen? What products do you use and how do you use them? Think back over the past 3 weeks, has anything changed in your hair care routine, or health wise , stress any thing different that you can think of... I have to get ready for work now, but I will be back on line in 3 hrs... keep bumping your post , the ladies will help you here... they just got me through a bad case of breaking and shedding, so hang in there...they will help you... and get your hair str8:grin::yep:

I'm not familiar with S-curl or ORS olive oil moisturizer, but I'm sure that after switching from the S-curl, you should clarify before using a new product.

Good luck.

Try pre-pooing or do some oil rinses. Good moisturizing products are olive oil, amla oil, vatika, honey. I've been sealing w/amla for about two weeks now and my hair is soooo soft.

My regimen:

Moisturize 2xs a day: Now with ORS formerly with SCurl.
Seal: Aphogee essential oils for hair

2xs a week (usually sunday and wendsday): prepoo with olive oil (left on for 30mins to an hour)

Shampoo with CON green label

Condition with NTM Daily conditioner. (again usually gets left on for 30mins to an hour. I just bought a bonnet dryer so now I add heat to this).

Moisturize and seal when hair is half dry .

Leave in: Infusium 23.

My hair is relaxed and short right now so I've been wearing a wig to work rather than a psuedo twa. And yes, if I haven't just washed it it sticks up that much.

I just washed and DCed tonight. Most of my hair feels great, My kitchen is kinda rough, especially on the left side. I'm so afraid I'm gonna lose those ends no matter what I do.

Edit: Oh! Tonight instead of my usual CON green label, I clarified. I used suave daily clarifying shampoo.

Last edited:
For starter's, I know the ladies will ask...are you natural or relaxed?.. What exactly is your hair doing and feeling? the More info we have the easier it will be to make suggestions to help you... What is your regimen? What products do you use and how do you use them? Think back over the past 3 weeks, has anything changed in your hair care routine, or health wise , stress any thing different that you can think of... I have to get ready for work now, but I will be back on line in 3 hrs... keep bumping your post , the ladies will help you here... they just got me through a bad case of breaking and shedding, so hang in there...they will help you... and get your hair str8:grin::yep:

Well I really got serious about takign care of my hair in the past month or so. That's one change right there. healthwise I'm the same. There's been alot of tension in my apartment though.

===
sorry, I didn't see you ticker about being relaxed, my bad:(...

can someone explain to me the process of pre-pooing and the benefits. This is my first time ever hearing about it, I would like to try it.

My regimen:

2xs a week (usually sunday and wendsday): prepoo with olive oil (left on for 30mins to an hour)

Condition with NTM Daily conditioner. (again usually gets left on for 30mins to an hour. I just bought a bonnet dryer so now I add heat to this).

My hair is relaxed and short right now so I've been wearing a wig to work rather than a psuedo twa. And yes, if I haven't just washed it it sticks up that much.

I just washed and DCed tonight. Most of my hair feels great, My kitchen is kinda rough, especially on the left side. I'm so afraid I'm gonna lose those ends no matter what I do.

Edit: Oh! Tonight instead of my usual CON green label, I clarified. I used suave daily clarifying shampoo.

One thing you could try would be using a good deep conditioner, such as Silicon Mix, CPR, ORS Hair Mayo, or something. Also, using that Infusium all the time may not be helping. I believe it has protein and you may need more moisture. You should do a nice treatment DC and follow with a good moisturizing conditioner. Try out a nice creamy moisturizing leave in or something with moisture for a leave in. Hopefully more ladies will chime in or you could do a search on breakage for some great ideas. So, hang in there. :yep:

My suggestion

Pre poo with evoo and ors mayo than when you deep con use ntm mask

the products you listed are only moisturizing ones with the exception of the infusim 23 leave in

are you diluting the infusium 23

my advice would be to step up your DC game and cut down on the combing/brushing. my hair was very dry and brittle all the time, breaking everywhere. once i started washing and DC'in it really stopped my breaking and helped with the dryness.

It's so hard to predict what could be causing breakage. I have a section or two of stick straight hair that seems to need constant care to keep it from breaking. Whenever it gets bad I always use aveda DR, oil rinse, and spray with a light protein (aphogee green tea reconstructor or biolage fortifying spray). That usually stops it for me.

Last edited:
I am going to suggest that you try deep conditioning with something that has a little protein. ORS mayo is a good start.

My suggestion

Pre poo with evoo and ors mayo than when you deep con use ntm mask

the products you listed are only moisturizing ones with the exception of the infusim 23 leave in

are you diluting the infusium 23
YOu know...it never occured to me to dilute it. The only dc I have in the house right now (and I am banned from buying any mroe hair stuff for another week :sad:) is the ORS replen pak. Will that work or will it do more harm than good?

It only has 1 protein in it Hydrolyzed collagen which only gives you elastiticy (this is all i remember since i don't have a pack

ors has 2 proteins hydrolyzed keratin and hydrolyzed collagen

you need something for strength I'm not sure if what you have would work it may make your hair more stretchy since that is what collagen does increase elastiticy

Last edited:
It only has 1 protein in it Hydrolyzed collagen which only gives you elastiticy (this is all i remember since i don't have a pack

ors has 2 proteins hydrolyzed keratin and hydrolyzed collagen

you need something for strength I'm not sure if what you have would work it may make your hair more stretchy since that is what collagen does increase elastiticy

But my hair isn't stretchy. I can hear it snapping off. Today I used the baggy method (under my wig) and the nape area isn't quite as dry. In addition I haven't seen as many snapped strands. Those two things make me thing that I need lots more moisture.

My regimen:

It looks like too much moisture and not enough protein...Sistaslick has a protein/moisture sticky on this forum. It been really helpful to alot of ladies here, including me!:grin: Also, when you're using the wig, do you just put it on, or do you protect your hair first (i.e. stocking cap, braids...)?

As for the protein, you can try alternating pre-poos. Try Aphogee's 2 minute reconstructor, or Aubrey's GPB as a pre-poo, they both are light protein conditioners. HTH!

Last edited:
But my hair isn't stretchy. I can hear it snapping off. Today I used the baggy method (under my wig) and the nape area isn't quite as dry. In addition I haven't seen as many snapped strands. Those two things make me thing that I need lots more moisture.

buy pre pooing with the protein than following with a DC that is moisturizing you will still get moisture

be careful with infusium it can eat ur hair if ur donb't dilute it. My hai rnever agreed with this stuff

Are you stretching your relaxer? If so, that could be the source of the breakage Your hair shouldn't be sticking straight up.

You need to stop everything else you are doing and just shampoo once a week and deep condition. Moisturize once every few days, until you figure out the culprit. Also, get a moisturizing creme not a lotion.

Are you stretching your relaxer? If so, that could be the source of the breakage Your hair shouldn't be sticking straight up.

You need to stop everything else you are doing and just shampoo once a week and deep condition. Moisturize once every few days, until you figure out the culprit. Also, get a moisturizing creme not a lotion.

Yes I'm stretching. My hair sticks up (more like puffs up) because I'm stretching but my hair still above neck length). Tomorrow is supposed to be wash day but I think I'll wait until saturday so I'll have time to watch how my hair responds to things. :wallbash:

Ladies I think I may have the culprit:

ORS Hair Lotion Ingredient number 5: Petrolatum
number 10 Vegetable oil
sodium cetearyl sulfate

I smell a rat. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
Pardon me while I go wash the crap out of my hair.

Ladies I think I may have the culprit:

ORS Hair Lotion Ingredient number 5: Petrolatum
number 10 Vegetable oil
sodium cetearyl sulfate

I smell a rat. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
Pardon me while I go wash the crap out of my hair.

Yeah I was going to mention that ORS Olive Oil isn't really that great for your hair. If you like ORS so much Carrot oil is good (except for the smell :ohwell:) I know you mentioned that you can't buy any new products for a while but if you can afford to get one ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pack I would reccomend trying a deep conditioner treatment with that. It's usually about 1.50 or something like that. HTH

Yeah I was going to mention that ORS Olive Oil isn't really that great for your hair. If you like ORS so much Carrot oil is good (except for the smell :ohwell:) I know you mentioned that you can't buy any new products for a while but if you can afford to get one ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pack I would reccomend trying a deep conditioner treatment with that. It's usually about 1.50 or something like that. HTH

I just happened to buy an extra one last week. I'll do that this weekend.

I get breakage with NTM.........So I quit using it. Maybe that could be adding to your situation.

The bottle is almost gone, any suggestion of what to try next? I adore CON green label shampoo but can't ever find the conditioners.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for the SO to come home with the car. Now I'm fiending for SCurl

Back