I Have Not Mastered The Art of...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
selecting the right products for my hair when I have alot of new growth.

What might you relaxed and natural divas suggest (shampoo and conditioner) to soften and tame new growth? (air dried new growth at that)

Didn't I just read a post about your relaxer touch-up?? You're already worrying about taming new growth?? /images/graemlins/look.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, girl I am freshly relaxed as of this past Saturday. But the few weeks before that, I was having issues with all the new growth. I went my regular 10 weeks, but I've got to get it under control. I'm just planning in advance for next time.

You already use good products as far as poo and conditioners. I just discovered Kenra MC and Elasta QP Intense and those work really well on the newgrowth in softening and detangling. What have you tried so far?

Also when I airdry I tie my hair down so that it lays flat. It will stay like that for about a day or two until the next wash.

I use Kenra which is great at softening and detangling my hair except for the new growth. The newgrowth is detangled, but still kind of stiff.

I was having the same problem. I just got a relaxer this Sunday after waiting 8 weeks. I used Garnier Frutis Sleek and Shine and it got my new growth under control. It made it soft and I was able to comb it with no problem.

Hey Supergirl! Have you thought about the Jessicurl line? She advertises a lot on Naturallycurly.com. Her Too Shea conditioner and deep treatment are very moisturizing and softening.

Hmmm... I've never heard of it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is a good thread, I struggle with my new growth as well(im 6 weeks post right now). One thing I know for sure is that I must deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner with heat. I find it really softens up my new growth. Right now Im using Cream of Nature Nourishing Conditioner

I also usually need something a little heavy to moisturize my new growth. I have used WGO and HHB in the past but Im really dont like them anymore. Im thinking of trying Profectivs Root health since I just rediscovered Breakfree this weekend and it helped a lot.

I also bun my hair up for the most part until I can relax. For my edges I use a combo of Lets Jam and Smooth N shine gellation to make it look sleek. I tie a scarf on my head for about 10 mins before I head out in the morning..works pretty good.

To hold my new growth down I use Mango butter. As for shampoos and conditioners, I don't use anything imparticular just Nexxus products (shampoo), Elasta QP (shampoo), and Suave (conditioner) to soften my hair. Since I keep my hair curled I don't worry too much about my new growth being out in the open because technically it's being covered my the curls.

Elucence Shampoo and Conditioner followed by Sta So Fro gets me by when my newgrowth is unruly.

I am 7 weeks post touch-up (full steam ahead to 12!) and I just tried Kiehl's Creme de la Creme Groom Repairateur with Silk leave-in on my hair. I love it. It moisturized my hair AND new growth while imparting deep shine and leaving no greasy after feel. It is a little pricey, but you can ask them for samples at any Kiehl's store to give it a try before you buy. They gladly give them. I am impressed with the product so far. It has been a while since I used a product that leaves my hair moisturized with no greasy after feel. /images/graemlins/cool.gif I was using Elasta Recovery which is excellent at softening new growth, but leaves my hair a little greasy.

Back