I have a hard time parting my hair!

Mercie

I'm trying to oil my scalp but, it's hard because I can't even part my hair.
Any tips?

I tried to use a rattail comb but, it feels like its breaking my hair.
I ended up using a wide tooth comb.. the end part of it. ( I don't know the specific name)

When I watch videos of people doing their hair they are able to part it so easily. :sad:

Are you relaxed or natural?

I'm natural and I have a heck of a time trying to part. I don't even attempt to use a comb anymore because there is no way it can penetrate my hair.:nono::lachen: Now I just use my fingers. It takes a bit longer but it works for me.

I know what you mean about the videos. They just make it look so easy.:rolleyes:

I feel your pain i'm about 5 months post and I don't try to part it unless i'm in the shower and its wet with conditioner... haha or i use my fingers very carefully.... rat tail combs just get stuck and die! haha

I'm 5 months post relaxer too.'

I'll try solely using my fingers but, I hope that won't cause the hair to break.
I need to try to be more gentle

I either use a wide tooth comb or my fingers. When I'm oiling my scap, I use my fingers. I'm able to do it gently and don't need straight parts for that.

I use one of those applicator bottles w/ a top that comes to a point...it's great for oiling your scalp even w/ a ton of new growth

I use one of those applicator bottles w/ a top that comes to a point...it's great for oiling your scalp even w/ a ton of new growth

What she said! I also use these bottles for clarifying and co-washing because it gets to the scalp without weighing my hair down or stripping it.

I use my fingers mostly for parting when I'm oiling my scalp. I bend my pinkie finger to get as close to the scalp as possible, then work it through the hair to create a cleaner part. When my hair is not co-operating, I resort to using the tail of a rat tail comb.

I used to do this.
I don't know why I stopped, I am going to go back to this technique.

i'm having the same problem. when i'm parting either with a comb or my fingers, i feel like i'm breaking my hair. this transition is starting to get to me.

mercie, let your hair dry. untangle the relaxed ends while dry (try w/your fingers) and if you you have a spray bottle, spray your roots. natural hair loves water and will part like butter unlike relaxed hair that likes dry hair. spray and then part/oil until your whole head is oiled. this was what i've done b4 chopping off all my relaxed ends.

This is what I do because my hair is too nappy to part all over. Works like a charm. Use your fingers to rub the oil in.

I spray my roots first with braid spray, before I part. I work it into the roots with the pads of my fingers. Then my NG is ready to spread like Moses parting the Red Sea...LOL!

How often do you detangle?
Do you apply any moisturizer or oil to the hair before trying to part?
I have to let you know that parting should not be that difficult unless you're extremely tender-headed.

I'm natural 4b, some 4a. my hair is just past Shoulder length it's mega thick and I can part my hair, I even do lots of cornrow designs on myself with unique parting.

You should add some type of moisture & or oil to your hair before combing brushing or parting. It will help.

Back