I have a hair problem! *Long Vent*

daoriginaldiva

Okay, as everyone could see in my pics below, my hair looks like the epitome of health! But I have been using mousse in my roller sets for achieved body and movement.

My problem is , when I first cut my hair in December 2005, my hair was a china bob ( cheekbone length). It was cute and had a lot of body. I had been taking Biotin and hair viatmins religiously and my hair has been getting thicker and longer at one point but then it went through a spell where it seems like it was not growing. Then all of a sudden in October 2006, it grew up to my shoulders but I noticed that the longer it was getting, the thinner and more lifeless my hair has looked.

It is now January 2007 and I just cut off an inch of hair all over, although some people think I may have cut off more. My problem is, how can I get the body and life back into my hair? My ends are looking see-through and I absolutley hate it because I don't put heat in my hair everyday at all. The only time I have heat in my hair is when I get the wrap and roller sets and sit under the blow dryer. ( and that's every 2 weeks) I get my hair trimmed every 7-8 weeks( mostly when I am getting a perm) and I either always have my hair wrapped or in a french braid or ponytail. When I use the castor oil, it makes my hair thick but sticky and I end up having major breakage. When I use the mousse for thickness, it makes my hair stiff and if I put oil for moisture( my hair is extremely dry) it weighs my whole hair down and all I have left is a lifeless, no bounce or curl wrap style with wispy ends!

I have no idea how this happened because I have been so careful with my hair since I decided to perm my hair after 6 years of being natural. I figured now that I know the do and the don'ts, my hair should be thriving, however it is not at all. I am tired of having slow growing and lifeless hair! I need help ya'll!

P.S. I have used the Vitamin Shoppe Skin, Nail and Hair vitamins and I have just strated using some Kelp and Seaweed Pills( which is what accelerated my growth quickly).

Also, what is the best hair moisturizer for my roots when I am stretching until my next perm? It seems that my roots grow very thick and very hard and it makes my hair dresser crazy! It seems like every two weeks after a perm, i have about 1/2 inch of new growth. What gives?
icon8.gif

So, are you deep conditioning your hair weekly? What are you conditioning with? Do you have both protein and moisture incorporated into your regimen?

OT: You are very pretty, are you a model?

Divine Inspiration said:
Ok, um...what is your regimen and what products are you using?

For the roots, I'd recommend NTM Leave-In or Giovanni Direct.

I am using Jason's Biotin Shampoo and conditioner and I have been deep conditioning my hair with Salerm 21 once a week.

As for moisture, I usually grease my scalp with Sulfer 8 because I have severe dry scalp and on my hair, Carol daughter's hair milk or Castor oil.

I am going to try the NTM Leave in, thanks mama@!

CAPlush said:
So, are you deep conditioning your hair weekly? What are you conditioning with? Do you have both protein and moisture incorporated into your regimen?

OT: You are very pretty, are you a model?

Thanks mama! I'm not a model but I am a make-up artist!
icon10.gif

I deep condition weekly with either Salerm 21 or one of the Spanish conditioner I had bought at the beauty supply store once a week and it has protien and moisturizing agents in them. I just have extreme dry hair and scalp and if I don't put anything in them, my scalp will get extremley flaky and my hair would look like dead straw.

Maybe I need to start putting MSM and Biotin in my conditioners

Last edited:
Bosslady1 said:
Whatever you are doing...Keep doing it! It seems to be working.

Thanks but i don't want to keep adding mousse in my hair and castor oil on my hair. It used to be naturally thick without those ingrediants.

daoriginaldiva said:
I am using Jason's Biotin Shampoo and conditioner and I have been deep conditioning my hair with Salerm 21 once a week.

As for moisture, I usually grease my scalp with Sulfer 8 because I have severe dry scalp and on my hair, Carol daughter's hair milk or Castor oil.

Aha! Salerm 21 is not a deep conditioner at all, it is a leave-in. I know, it does not say on the bottle, but I don't think you can deep condition with this product. I suggest you search the forum to find some real deep conditioners. ORS Replenishing Pack and Motions CPR work for me.

CAPlush said:
Aha! Salerm 21 is not a deep conditioner at all, it is a leave-in. I know, it does not say on the bottle, but I don't think you can deep condition with this product. I suggest you search the forum to find some real deep conditioners. ORS Replenishing Pack and Motions CPR work for me.

Yeah, i think i ma going to go back to ORS because my hair was doing so much better!

Thanks so much yall! I am off to my hair appointment!

daoriginaldiva said:

I think the J/A/S/O/N Biotin every week may be too much. Have you tried alternating with something moisturizing like the Sea Kelp? This is what I do, and it works well.

I agree the Salerm 21 is not sufficient as a DC.

Maybe you should lay off the grease for a while. This may be hindering more than helping. Have you considered using WGO or jojoba oil on your scalp instead?

Also, remember that grease is NOT moisture. You need a moisturizing product that has water listed as the first ingredient. After that, you can seal it with oil or grease but be sure to use something with water in it first.

Also, are you deep conditioning??

daoriginaldiva said:
Thanks mama! I'm not a model but I am a make-up artist!
icon10.gif

I deep condition weekly with either Salerm 21 or one of the Spanish conditioner I had bought at the beauty supply store once a week and it has protien and moisturizing agents in them. I just have extreme dry hair and scalp and if I don't put anything in them, my scalp will get extremley flaky and my hair would look like dead straw.

Maybe I need to start putting MSM and Biotin in my conditioners

I'd reccomend flaxseed oil, or msm. I also wouldn't recomend taking vitamin shoppe vitamins after a recent thread.Your hair sounds just like mine, looks healthy, but begs to differ, have you thought of a liguid leave in? and do you clarify? because you may have product build up.

hey crissi,
not to hijack the thread, but what's wrong with vitamin shoppe viamins? TIA...

I'm not sure how coarse or fine your hair is, but I tend to run into similar problems at times and I can really sympathize. From your pics, your hair looks great though. It sounds like you're using a lot of heavy products on your hair. Personally, for me less is more. I usually use products that absorb into my hair, and I make sure I wash or conditioner wash to avoid build-up. Perhaps you should try a reconstructor if you are experiencing breakage. Then maybe just keep it simple with good moisturizing conditioners alternated with a good protein conditioner about every two weeks. Sometimes too much protein can lead to breakage. Another thing, what relaxer are you using and what strength? I've just recently switched to a milder relaxer and this has helped me. When I get frustrated by thinning ends, many times it helps to put it in a long-term protective style such as braids, twist, etc. This boosts my confidence in my appearance, gives me a chance to re-group, and it gives my hair a break. One last thing, if your hair seems dry or fragile from the roots, a visit to the doctor may be in order. Stress and some common medical conditions can cause dry, fragile, thinning hair.

Sorry if my comments were all over the place.

hey diva i think that you greasing your scalp is the problem of your lifeless hair. If u are having scalp issues, maybe try taking msm or EPO internally...these usually provide natural oils to the scalp. but by you adding grease to your roots you are basically eliminating the body that your hair would have. I would also use a conditioner that produces body such as humecto. this produces sooo much body. also go with a light moisturizer, not oil nor grease on your length and ends. such as eqp recovery oil. HTH

To the O.P. where did you get the kelp and seaweed pills from? Are they combined or seperate. Can you get them from GNC ? Also does anyone know if they work better then the Gnc Ultra nourish hair pills? Sorry so many questions. I want excelerated hair growth. I have tried other things that are suppose to speed up hair growth but my hair seems to be growing the average 1/2 inch per month. TIA.

Silk elements leave-in moisturizer added to your roots and ends and followed by a light oil spray like Hot Six or ORS Natural Shine spray will make the hair feel moist. I think Nature's Blessing pomade would be a better alternative than Sulfur 8 to grease the scalp, because it not only smells better but it also doesn't contain mineral oil in it and it doesn't weigh my hair down.

How was the hair appt? What does the hairdresser say about the issues?Does he or she address the issue. I had a similar issue of dull and dry hair. I switched all my products and it seems to help. I listed them if you want to give it a try.
Pre-poo _oils in a cap....olive,coconut and a cheap conditioner to hold it all (1hr)
Shampoo- aloe by ORS
ORS replenish pack (heatcap for about 1hr)
Keracare Humecto
final rinse cool water
Sid tree butter and BBD stretch cream to finish

mysweetevie said:
How was the hair appt? What does the hairdresser say about the issues?Does he or she address the issue. I had a similar issue of dull and dry hair. I switched all my products and it seems to help. I listed them if you want to give it a try.
Pre-poo _oils in a cap....olive,coconut and a cheap conditioner to hold it all (1hr)
Shampoo- aloe by ORS
ORS replenish pack (heatcap for about 1hr)
Keracare Humecto
final rinse cool water
Sid tree butter and BBD stretch cream to finish

Hey everybody!

Girl, my hair dresser forgot I was coming and closed her store! Luckily, the domincan salon accros the street took pity on me and let me in. Because I came near their closing time, I couldn't get a deep conditioner, just a regular wash and set.

My hair came out limp as usual and I just ended up having a big swoop bang and rocked a french braid. I cannot be bothered because I was too through.

I am 7 weeks post-relaxer and I think I am going for the 13-15 weeks stretch again. During that time, I refuse to wear my hair out and will either bun it or braid it. I also don't grease my hair all the time but I learned I must because anything else I put for moisture on my scalp, my scalp eats up and it get's white and flaky. Only Sulfer 8 helps me have some kind of moisture and soothes my itchy scalp for a least a couple of days.

I was thinking of doing conditioner washes 3 times a week and a shampooo wash on the weekends and see how my hair will do. I am going to start treating my hair the way I did when I was natural.

Maybe I should do what someone in another thread said and put jamiacan black castor oil in my shampoos and conditioners.

I just feel so sad ya'll. It's back to the good ole drawing board.

When is the last time you clarified? You seem to be using a lot of products - and heavy ones too - and sometimes just shampoo'ing won't lift all of the build-up - and then the products that you love seem to stop working - but it's not because your hair has changed, it's because the products can't GET to your hair through the buildup.

I'd suggest a good clarifying, and see how your hair reacts.

nappywomyn said:
When is the last time you clarified? You seem to be using a lot of products - and heavy ones too - and sometimes just shampoo'ing won't lift all of the build-up - and then the products that you love seem to stop working - but it's not because your hair has changed, it's because the products can't GET to your hair through the buildup.

I'd suggest a good clarifying, and see how your hair reacts.

I will take your advice!

Back