I have a habit.........

AuNaturalMaMa

you tell me do you think its good or bad? Normal or OCD? To update this is my second post and in my very first one I talked about how horrible my ends used to be. Splitsville USA, all over me, all over my clothes, on my boyfriend which is now my DH, on my pillow, on my seat in my car, shall I continue? :perplexed Anyhoo, every since I started on my hair journey I have become more conscious about my hair. But I think I may have went a little overboard. I have noticed every since I hit past APL that I check every single hair that comes out my hair via detangling, just daily sheds, hair acccesories, ect. I have to examine the whole hair. If it doesnt have a bulb im literally up in arms! I noticed last night that it has gotten pretty bad. I was DC and detangling and checking the hairs then. Also, when I was styling some medium sized twists, any hair that came out I was checking it. I think my DH thinks Im crazy he was sitting across the room on the love seat kind of side eyeing me. So tell me is this a good or bad habit? How can I kick it? I dont want to be the crazy hair lady!!

BTW heres my twists. I think I did a decent job. My first time on my natural hair. I used to do these all the time on my relaxed hair in HS.
Gainesville-20110516-00138.jpg

Before I DC'd! My mom calls it my lion hair. Lions wish their hair was like this! :lol:
Gainesville-20110511-00133.jpg

I used to anally check my shed hairs too in the beginning of my hair journey, but now that I know my hair very well I feel like I don't need to anymore. I still find myself doing it every once in a while, but it's not that serious. Yeah, people may find it a lil weird but there's worse habits, right? :yep:

eta: Good gracious @ the thickness of your hair. Soooo jealous right now!:grin:

I used to do it , not EVERY hair. my laziness does not allow me to. you have cajones doing in front of your husband lol. I hide any crazy hair thing away from my SO!! Like the previous poster said I know my hair and I know they are shed hair. I dont get small pieces all of my clothes anymore and once that stopped the excessive checking stopped also

Your hair looks great.

I used to be really obsessed with doing this too. I would even count my wash day hair ball and separate the broken and sheds into separate piles. :look: Nowadays, I only routinely check the hairs that slide out during my moisturizing and sealing session each night.

Your hair = EVERYTHING :yep: :grin:

I don't think it's weird at all. It's been a year, and I still check every hair that comes out of my head. Yeah, the DH used to look at me like I was a little crazy, but he got over it :lol:. How else am I supposed to immediately ensure my methods are working?? :grin:

AuNaturalMaMa --I LOVE YOUR HAIR -- Um how'd you curb the breakage? Yeah I am like that. I check to see if I have splits going up, and the multi splits. My hair splits terribly, it had gotten better. Hoping I can finally get it in check (thinking it was bonelaxed ends). But yes, everytime a piece of hair falls outta my head, I examine.

Thanx @ Golden75. I actually havent had ANY breakage since going natural (fingers crossed). So I can say that curbed my breakage. But I am sure that if I had of joined this site while I was relaxed I could have obtained the knowledge to care for my breaking relaxed hair.

Beautiful twists! And I love your big afro!!!

I don't think what you're doing is a bad habit... :look: ... I sometimes examine my fallen hair strands too! :Blush2:

But I can say that keeping my hair in two strand twists prevents me from examining my hair strands more than I should.

Since after twisting my hair I havent been as anal about it. I think its just because my hair isn't in its loose form. I'm worried about taking them out I might go back to those ways. Maybe I'll just stay twisted but for some reason these twists wont stay!!!!!!!!! They keep untwisting!!

I'm sorry, but I can't seem to pay attention to what you posted about your hair discrepancy, due to your pics. Your hair......Its sooooo pretty :love: :love2: :love3: :love4: :love5:

I usually just select a hair strand in the comb at random and check for the bulb. After I've confirmed that the hair is a shed hair, I assume all of the other hairs in the comb are shed too.

I feel u. I used to check EVERY HAIR. If I didn't have time, I would save the shed hair and check for bulb later in the day.

THEN I would count them!

Imagine how crazy I was??? Lol!

I literally had to accept that I shed normally and force myself to throw away the hair without counting it or checking for bulbs.

There are worse habits, but I know how you feel about thinking you are overboard. I know i was overboard. So I quit cold turkey. Lol!

But crazy obsessed as I was, I learned alot about my hair patterns. For ex. I can tell u that my bangs shed exactly 8 hairs a day. Who else knows that much about their hair?! :)

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Your hair is lovely!! and those twists are gorgeous.
i can't say i have the same habit, though...I tend to largely ignore the hair that comes out of my head. :look:

Thats kinda od but i understand. Unless your have perfect hair its gonna break sometimes, just pay atention to where the breakage is coming from amd if your doing something to cause it and then i go from there .

Back