I Have A Confession.........

Rapunzel*

i love being natural but id love to texlax........
the thing thats holding me back is that i love being natural and i would be in self denial about being relaxed:perplexed

to explain it better i want to texlax but i want to still be considered natural:blush:
i would never lie about being texlaxed but id want to be natural still.

i love my texture but its my curl pattern(4a/b) that stops me from buns and ponytails(my hair is long enough for both)and it takes a while to straighten my hair. so much shrinkage urgh............

maybe in july or august id be able to bun and get my hair into a ponytail holder but i dont want to wait that long.

whats your confession:sekret:

Maybe it is BKT time for you Sweetie... :)
it sounds good but its not affordable to me. are their any BKT for under 60 dollars? will it make my wng's show more length.?
icon12.gif

it sounds good but its not affordable to me. are their any BKT for under 60 dollars? will it make my wng's show more length.?
icon12.gif

Honestly, I am not an expert:lachen: But I am sure Pinkskate or another BKT lady will chime in very soon to help you:yep:

I know the feeling! I was thinking about texlaxing once or twice and then transition, just so that I have some more length, because shrinkage is a B*@$% !!

I know the feeling! I was thinking about texlaxing once or twice and then transition, just so that I have some more length, because shrinkage is a B*@$% !!
oh yes it is im like seeing all these women bun and i cant wait to do it on my natural hair. if i dont get the BKT or relaxx i will wear half wigs until i get some more length. its so annoying to see my hair shrik from my back to the top of my neck in 2 minutes:rolleyes:

icon12.gif

You would have to go on ebay. You can get a couple of ounces for $60.00. But you would also need a ceramic flat iron that goes up to 450 degree. If you are interested there are 2 or 3 active BKT threads going on right now. The one started by SouthernTease has a lot of detailed information.

You would have to go on ebay. You can get a couple of ounces for $60.00. But you would also need a ceramic flat iron that goes up to 450 degree. If you are interested there are 2 or 3 active BKT threads going on right now. The one started by SouthernTease has a lot of detailed information.
ok cool i have a flat iron thats 395 and a hot comb that goes up to 500 is that ok? and electrical hot comb
i think a couple of onces will work im nt even apl yet:grin:

your hair looks great
which brand of relaxer do you texlax with(just in case i do it tomorrow:giggle:)

ORS no lye... Honestly, dont relax just because you are tired of your shrinkage, you may regret it later on. Take the time to think about it and meanwhile you may need to straighten your hair more often:yep: Whatever you decide, enjoy your hair:grin:

I'm 4b-ish.

Aside from texlaxing and BKT as options:

How about rollerseting so you can fit your hair in buns and ponytails? Other options are twistouts/braidouts or banding to stretch your hair?

My hair slightly shrunken (months ago):
f_oct1cvim_f001425.jpg

My hair stretched via twistout in a bun and ponytail:
f_DSCN4932vim_bc1261e.jpg

f_VSCN4930vim_79e23e8.jpg

If you still want to be natural and maintain your texture in bun/ponytail styles, I recommend stretching your hair.

Last edited:
Why does your curl pattern stop you from doing ponytails and buns? You should have enough hair by now. You just haven't figured out how to do it yet. You might just have to stretch your hair a little first.

I'm 4b-ish.

Aside from texlaxing and BKT as options:

How about rollerseting so you can fit your hair in buns and ponytails? Other options are twistouts/braidouts or banding to stretch your hair?

My hair slightly shrunken (months ago):
f_oct1cvim_f001425.jpg

My hair stretched via twistout in a bun and ponytail:
f_DSCN4932vim_bc1261e.jpg

f_VSCN4930vim_79e23e8.jpg

If you still want to be natural and maintain your texture in bun/ponytail styles, I recommend stretching your hair.

woah you hair looks amazing!
whats your current length?
Why does your curl pattern stop you from doing ponytails and buns? You should have enough hair by now. You just haven't figured out how to do it yet. You might just have to stretch your hair a little first.
ita i just need to do some major stretching
im excited im going to try a twistout then bun my hair.i just wish it would slick back on its own instead of shrinking into a 3-4 inch fro
Maybe try BKT?
Don't make any rash decisions is all I popped in here to say...
i know thanks for the warning and i see your transitioning yourself. a long term transition. i want to stay natural i just would love to show my length

thank you ladies for all your encouragement
icon12.gif

i love being natural but id love to texlax........
the thing thats holding me back is that i love being natural and i would be in self denial about being relaxed:perplexed

to explain it better i want to texlax but i want to still be considered natural:blush:
i would never lie about being texlaxed but id want to be natural still.

i love my texture but its my curl pattern(4a/b) that stops me from buns and ponytails(my hair is long enough for both)and it takes a while to straighten my hair. so much shrinkage urgh............

maybe in july or august id be able to bun and get my hair into a ponytail holder but i dont want to wait that long.

whats your confession:sekret:

I TOTALLY understand. I was natural for 5 yrs before texturizing a few weeks ago. Best thing I coulda done. I lost many nights of sleep feeling guilty and just stressing over the idea but uh, that quickly disappeared. I'm so glad I did and planning what I'ma use for my next one.

I couldn't do BKT... all that heat, no way. I hate the smell of burnt hair more than anything else on this planet.

I TOTALLY understand. I was natural for 5 yrs before texturizing a few weeks ago. Best thing I coulda done. I lost many nights of sleep feeling guilty and just stressing over the idea but uh, that quickly disappeared. I'm so glad I did and planning what I'ma use for my next one.

I couldn't do BKT... all that heat, no way. I hate the smell of burnt hair more than anything else on this planet.
oh wow it smells like burnt hair i don't think i could deal with it:nono:
i straightened my hair i didn't have enough time to do the center and ill finish it tonight im gonna do a braid out we'll see how it comes out tonight.
i love your screen name my nick name is alliey irl:grin:

you and your hair are both gorgeous

woah you hair looks amazing!
whats your current length?

Thanks. My current stretched length is layered APL.

I understand how you feel about shrinkage. I guess it comes down to whether you want a temporary option (stretching), long term temporary (BKT), or 'permanent' (texlaxing) to combatting shrinkage. As some ladies mentioned earlier, it's good to also weigh the possible side effects. I hope you find your fix!

Last edited:
Honestly, if you want to do it you should go for it. I had the same compliant because my coils were so tight, so I texlaxed and I love it. I have the texture that I love with the manageability that I needed. I feel like this: as long as it is your hair then it is natural, be it relaxed or natural.It's growing out of your scalp then it's yours. Everyone has to do something to make their hair manageable. Yes, even those naturals who swear wearing your hair any other way than the way it comes from your scalp is not natural. I just don't consider wearing someone else's hair as yours no matter how much you paid for it. That is the only thing I consider unnatural.

I was natural for most of my life, age 15-36. And I didn't straighten it except for one 4 month period with a 1930s bob. Most of my friends are still natural, but I have a texturizer. Let me tell you, there is no inherent superiority in being natural. Being natural doesn't mean you love yourself more or are more conscious. It doesn't even necessarily mean your hair is healthier. It is a choice, and you shouldn't feel guilty about making another choice. One of my natural friends started wearing her hair straightened and when a bunch of us got together she was apologizing, saying "Oh, this is just temporary, etc.". I told her stop apologizing, her hair looked great, and she had the same brain underneath the pressed hair as she did underneath the coily kinky hair. No biggie.

If you texlax and don't like it, you can always transition again. I'm pretty sure that it would be easier to transition from texlaxed to natural than from relaxed straight to natural. A texlaxed to natural transition should be a breeze if done properly. Though I'm not 100% sure so maybe someone else could chime in.

I understand the frustration of shrinkage. I no longer wear wash and go's because of this...the shrinkage was causing me to get tangles and lose hair. I make sure that I detangle and put my hair in one braid while still in the shower, and I let it dry stretched so that I can easily bun my hair, do braidouts, twistouts, whatever. Do whatever works for YOU! Keep us updated and good luck.

BKT sounds like the solution for you. Before you texlax your eally need to put a lot of thoughts into it to avoid to regret it. I did texlax...I enjoy it but I knew it was what I wanted . Whatever you do..think about maintenance in the long run...are you going tohave to depend on a stylist or ourself ....are you willing to?? For a temporary change you can straighten your hair with rollers flexi rod or flat iron...or BKT.

HTH :)

Back