I hate stylists...

So I went to go get a dominican blowout. I've been natural for 3 years and had finally reached a little past APL...needless to say I should have gone with my gut feelining when she mentioned my ends...I'm basically back at shoulder length(maybe and inch below) And I was devasted...I've stopped crying:cry::cry::cry: and now I'm just trying to focus on getting my length back...But I'm still pissed :swearing:

What happened? Try and calm down and perhaps share your story then. There are alot of us doing major "hide your hair" methods to grow our hair back from mishaps (including me). Check out the wig & weave challenges when you get a chance. The goal is to retain every last inch that grows out your head. Then you can start learning do it yourself (DIY) tips for trimming and styling (even blow outs).

Sorry. I've calmed down a lot, but I'm still really frustrated. I had been hiding my hair, baggying, and doing protective styles for about 2 years. I had gone to get the blow out mostly because my mom wanted to see how much my hair had grown and I also wanted to see where it was. So I was looking forward to seeing my hair straightened. I'd wear it in a curly fro most of the time. I was a little unnerved at the fact she used a comb to get through my dry hair as I could hear my hair being ripped through. Then she washed it like it was just regular relaxed or straight hair...(which scared the crap out of me) After she blew out my roots she started commenting on my "dead ends" and I thought to myself "our hair is dead...it a fiber not a living cell/organ." But I really didn't say much, except that I wanted to keep the length, she insisted on trimming my ends and reassured me she was only taking off like 1/4 of an inch...well when I look in the mirror and saw my hair resting just below my shoulders I had to fight back tears...when I looked at the floor and saw 1.5-2.5 inch pieces of hair on the floor I knew I had to get out of that chair and in my car before I started bawling on the spot...so now I'm just trying to get past my emotions and get back on track.

Im so sorry that happened to you :nono: I've had a similar experience at a dominican salon, they started out fabulously, then after a few years they came under new managements and of course a scissor happy stylist. I got a 1.5inch cut from a "trim".

I know how you feel, but don't fret. Your hair will grow back before you know it and be longer, and healthier than before :yep:

so sorry to hear.... just focus on growing back your hair, you did it already so you know you can do it again :yep:

I want to straighten my hair at the end of the year but Im so scared to go to a salon... even my own stylist Ive been going to for the last 10 years :(

Oh no I'm so sorry that happened to you. I had a similar experience this time last year when I lost 4 inches, a year's worth of retention after finally figuring out what my hair needs to retain, all thanks to a scissor happy braider who wasn't paying attention to what she was doing.:wallbash: I went from APl-BSB back to SL.:cry2:

Sorry this happened to you. Good thing is it WILL grow back.

Yet another example of why I don't do stylists. "All around the world, same song".

I'm sorry this happened. :( I know exactly how you feel. I've had stylists over-cut my hair, not once but twice (the second time it happened, the person cut 6 inches, instead of the 1-2 inch trim they promised).

It's ok to be angry (I was for awhile when it happened). But your hair will grow back in time.

Btw, I trim my own hair now. If I mess it up, I'd rather the fault be mine than someone else's.

naturalglory041490 said:
So I went to go get a dominican blowout. I've been natural for 3 years and had finally reached a little past APL...needless to say I should have gone with my gut feelining when she mentioned my ends...I'm basically back at shoulder length(maybe and inch below) And I was devasted...I've stopped crying:cry::cry::cry: and now I'm just trying to focus on getting my length back...But I'm still pissed :swearing:

Awww don't sweat it. Keep it protected for 4 months & you'll get all your length back & probably more now that you have a fresh trim. ;) 4 months will be here before you know it.

I'm sorry this happened too. If you go back to a salon and they do something you don't like, strand up for yourself! Yes, it is easier said than done, but I wouldn't want to continue a process that I am unhappy with and then pay for it. :nono: :nono:

Dominicans are scissor happy! I being half Dominican can speak what I'm about to say with truth... Healthy long hair has status. Women with longer hair (as deemed by society) are more desired. Dominican women, although similar in complexion, roots (slaves were brought to DR too) and hair texture, feel like they hold a higher status to black women and HATE... I mean HATE when a black woman's hair sits nicer than theirs. I've heard this spoken in an indirect manner by family members who own salons.

Thank you so much ladies. I know being emotional won't help the situation, but it helps to be able to come to this forum and vent. I think I should have mentioned earlier it was actually a black owned salon, but they do dominican blow outs...and much like salons in general, get a little scissor happy. In a strange way I guess I'm looking forward to seeing the progress I can make now. As the first time it was transitioning&getting length and now it will strictly be a length retention journey.
Also I was wanting to ask the fine strand ladies, how do you convince any stylist that your hair is indeed healthy...but your strands are just thin? I've had this problem for a long time and even my mother has had to explain that my hair is healthy...just naturally fine? Or is it best to just learning my hair and forgetting stylist all together?

Thank you again for your kind words&encouragement!

[USER][/USER]
Thank you so much ladies. I know being emotional won't help the situation, but it helps to be able to come to this forum and vent. I think I should have mentioned earlier it was actually a black owned salon, but they do dominican blow outs...and much like salons in general, get a little scissor happy. In a strange way I guess I'm looking forward to seeing the progress I can make now. As the first time it was transitioning&getting length and now it will strictly be a length retention journey.
Also I was wanting to ask the fine strand ladies, how do you convince any stylist that your hair is indeed healthy...but your strands are just thin? I've had this problem for a long time and even my mother has had to explain that my hair is healthy...just naturally fine? Or is it best to just learning my hair and forgetting stylist all together?

Thank you again for your kind words&encouragement!

I don't have to convince anyone that my hair is healthy. Their job is to do what I ask them and pay them to do. PERIOD. I don't care what they think about the apparent health of my hair. Once you understand and believe this, trips to the salon will be soooo much easier.

I went to the salon for the first time in memory last week. I went in for a roller set. They tried to convince me to get a blowout and flat iron. I must have told them ten times - no thank you, just a roller set. When she pulled out the blow dryer and started heating up the flat iron, I just looked at her. When the blow dryer came my way, I asked her what she was doing. She then said to me - "you're serious??!!" I asked her how much for the roller set, and paid the $20 and left.

You have to have the confidence in yourself to know what you want and stick to your guns. When that happens, nothing a stylist tells you can sway you.

Also, when you want a trim, blowout and flat iron your hair yourself and go to a barber. They are generally afraid to cut women's hair and will always cut less then more. They also understand what 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 inch are. I've never been over cut by a barber.

DominicanBrazilian82 said:
Dominicans are scissor happy! I being half Dominican can speak what I'm about to say with truth... Healthy long hair has status. Women with longer hair (as deemed by society) are more desired. Dominican women, although similar in complexion, roots (slaves were brought to DR too) and hair texture, feel like they hold a higher status to black women and HATE... I mean HATE when a black woman's hair sits nicer than theirs. I've heard this spoken in an indirect manner by family members who own salons.

Wow, that's some new news to me...

curlicarib said:
Also, when you want a trim, blowout and flat iron your hair yourself and go to a barber. They are generally afraid to cut women's hair and will always cut less then more. They also understand what 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 inch are. I've never been over cut by a barber.

I never heard of barbers trimming like long hair other then Caesar length

no trims at stylists! please don't let a stylist you don't know cut your hair. ever. ever. ever!

i wish i could hug you....this has happened to me many times. i feel so bad for you cus i have been there....watched as a stylist chopped off all my hard work, but not anymore.

i trim my own hair. when i go to the salon the stylist i go to is all about length retention. even if she thinks i need more cut, she cuts what i ask her to. if she trims TOO LITTLE, she will go back and do it again for me. i often leave her chair needing to trim a little more and we are both ok with that. i NEVER leave her chair feeling like she scalped me and i had no say so in the darn thing..........

i will go bald before i ever let a stranger cut my hair again. EVER!

I too fell victim of a Dominican stylist after months of growth.... I understand. I am starting all over... After another stylist damaged my hair. I will self trim for now. I've been watching a lady at my threading shop... She dust or cuts... But does exactly as asked. Not there yet, but when I need more style than dusting.. I will go to her

havilland said:
no trims at stylists! please don't let a stylist you don't know cut your hair. ever. ever. ever!

i wish i could hug you....this has happened to me many times. i feel so bad for you cus i have been there....watched as a stylist chopped off all my hard work, but not anymore.

i trim my own hair. when i go to the salon the stylist i go to is all about length retention. even if she thinks i need more cut, she cuts what i ask her to. if she trims TOO LITTLE, she will go back and do it again for me. i often leave her chair needing to trim a little more and we are both ok with that. i NEVER leave her chair feeling like she scalped me and i had no say so in the darn thing..........

i will go bald before i ever let a stranger cut my hair again. EVER!

I don't know about the bald thing but I agree with you lol

I never heard of barbers trimming like long hair other then Caesar length

I've gone to barbers for at least 30 years to get trims. Ive never had a problem with them not wanting to help me out. And generally, I pay no more than $15 for a barbershop trim ($6 on base). And, I've never walk away in tears because they cut too much. Try getting a trim at a salon for less than $35 (tears included). That will never happen!

I've gone to barbers for at least 30 years to get trims. Ive never had a problem with them not wanting to help me out. And generally, I pay no more than $15 for a barbershop trim ($6 on base). And, I've never walk away in tears because they cut too much. Try getting a trim at a salon for less than $35 (tears included). That will never happen!

My mom goes to barbers for all of her cuts, and for 1 exception has always gotten exactly what she wanted, sans tears. :yep:

Interesting. I've encountered a couple insecure Dominican stylist before...as well as black. I think insecurity, jealousy, and envy knows no racial bounds to be honest. It all boils down to the individual. Sad that some women behave this way..

Luckily, I'm pretty intuitive. If I sense anything off about the stylist I know now to get out the chair.

Sorry this happened to you OP :sad: I've been there...your hair will bounce back better then ever. You know now what works to grow it out. My suggestion is to learn how to trim/dust yourself until you find someone you can trust.

OP,

I'm sorry that this happened.

Thanks to sipp100 I bought a creaclip and now I cut my own hair and my daughters' hair perfectly straight, taking off what I deem necessary.

It costs $29.99 + shipping and it more than paid for itself the first time I used it.

Thank you again ladies. My mom gave me that "why would you let a stylist come near your head with scissors" talk...lol. Now I'm just focusing on growing it back out. On the plus side I went to go buy some hair vitamins ran across the last bottle of Nioxin (until that new formulation comes out) and the sales rep sold me a 30 count bottle for 10 dollars! so I'll be back to ps, nioxin, and my MN ways for the next few months...and now I know the most basic thing our parents teach us "No means NO!" lol Thank you ladies again for all your help!

All these "I hate stylist" threads...

Its YOUR hair, why did you let her cut YOUR hair.

Its very easy to say "stop" or "no"

I didn't realize how much she was cutting off due to the way she was cutting my hair and the initial amount she was trimming...she started taking off 1 inch plus when she got to the back . plus she was pulling my hair outwards so I couldn't see when she was cutting the back. But now I know to just trim at home =)

Back