I HATE Braids!! These stupid 'medium' extentions tore out my F-in hair!!!

Colliecole

I'm so pissed off! When I went to the d*mn African braiding place, I got the MEDIUM braids! I knew better than to get the micros. Little did I know that this woman was going to make the parts waaaaaaay to small, thus making the braid to heavy. You just cant put a heavy braid on a little scrap of hair and expect my hair not to fall out! I mean, does it take a genius??? I'm so over it. If I wasn’t planning to go natural I'd be crying right now because I lost at least an inch taking them out and alot of hair thickness too. They kept tangling and matting up.

Cost me $170 total, my sclap broke out in a rash, I got dandruff (I've never gotten danfruff a day in my life), I got a little bacne now too because my whole body didn't like the synthetic hair. When I got home from work last night, I looked in the mirror and almost cried. My hair line was this white flaky color, and thinning BAD. The sad part is, I had these things in for BARELY 2 weeks. I tried to convince myself to keep them in, but it’s not worth damaging my hair any more so. I've been taking too good care of it to get it healthy, to loose it all to some braids. So I stayed up last night until 6 am taking them down because there were soooo many of them. After 3 hrs sleep I came to work 45 minutes late, I’m still at work now, tired, my scalp is sore from all the tugging… having a sh***y day thus far....I think I need a hug...:sad:

I'm boycotting braids in general. But if any of you ladies decide to get them, make sure they make the parts big enough so that this doesn’t happen to you...

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with braids. I've heard some horror stories with going to African braiders. At least you caught it before there was more damage done to your hair. I had one actual African braider and she wasnt as bad. But Ive heard they rip thru some peoples hair with fine tooth combs causing more damage. Maybe in the future if you do choose to go to a braider maybe you can find a african-american braider...

sorry for your experience and i hope your day is better..

BIG HUG everything will be better...just do a wooo saaaaa!!!!

Dang, hate this happened to you. Think about the damage you would have ha if you keep them in for a longer period. You will bounce back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry for the crappy braid job you had done to your hair. Here's a big hug and I hope it makes you feel better.

4.gif

:grouphug3:Thanks everybody!!

Bludiamond, I think your right about the African braids. Maybe it's because African textured hair is more coarse, as apposed to African American (you know were all mixed with a million things so it's more comon for us to have thinner/wavy hair)

Iris, thanks for that Siggy...I feel better already:lachen:

Dang! I'm sorry about your experience...you should probably try cornrows instead...single braids are a bit risky.

Ooh no, not with fake hair..Ouch. Maybe with my natural hair, but it's not long enough to rock that without looking like I train pitbulls for a living :lachen:

Sorry this happened to you....I try to warn as many of my fine haired sistahs as I can about braids...you are one of many that has had their hair damaged from braids.

I hope you find something that works for you:yep:

Aww honey, (((HUGS))) I'm sorry you're going through this. I also have been the victim of African braiders and have also lost inches due to too tight brading, detangling with a fine-toothed comb, "trimming" the braids once done :nono: something should be done to regulate braiding. As I understand it, braiders aren't held to the same standards as stylists and a cosmetology license is not required :ohwell:

Also, something similar to what you've described happened to my niece when she had braids (...flaky dandruffy scalp, scaly, puss-filled bumps all along her hairline, some hair loss...) come to find outthat she was allergic to the Kanekalon hair that was used:perplexed

Take care...lotsa deep conditioning and buns will have your hair back in shape in no time:yep:

The same thing happened to me when I got extensions. They're evil!:burning:
I'm sorry this happened to you. This is why I only use my own hair to braid or twist styles. Some braiders are in such a hurry to do hair, they just do it anyway they want. I hope all goes well with you.:grouphug:

Damn! Sorry to hear this :sad:. I have gotten micros before and I am real careful not to let them braid to thin. A good braider will let you see the first braid and you will say whether you like it or not. Also the synthetic hair is no good. I don't do they micros anymore because they are a hassle to take out and I neglect my hair while they are in. They can be ok with the right person. Oh and the african braiders do rake with a rat tail comb if you come in and want to get your edges redone or get them taken out, it hurts like hell. :ohwell:

I'm sorry to hear that. That braider knew she was wrong for that. Its a good thing you removed them when you did. Keep caring for it the way you were and your hair will recover soon. :hug2:

Aww honey, (((HUGS))) I'm sorry you're going through this. I also have been the victim of African braiders and have also lost inches due to too tight brading, detangling with a fine-toothed comb, "trimming" the braids once done :nono: something should be done to regulate braiding. As I understand it, braiders aren't held to the same standards as stylists and a cosmetology license is not required :ohwell:

Also, something similar to what you've described happened to my niece when she had braids (...flaky dandruffy scalp, scaly, puss-filled bumps all along her hairline, some hair loss...) come to find outthat she was allergic to the Kanekalon hair that was used:perplexed

Take care...lotsa deep conditioning and buns will have your hair back in shape in no time:yep:

Is this "trimming" when they run the scissors down the braids to get any hairs that are sticking out? When she did that I'm sitting there like "what if some if of that is my hair??"

And your right, I've known a lot of braiders who just did it out of their homes or had a cousin who owned a shop and she used the back room to braid or something...shame. But I'm at fault too because I always judge my stylist by how their hair looks, and if its jacked they aint touching my hair. But with braiders the same rules didn't really apply. The African lady kept talking about how my hair is so long and pretty, and how she wishes her hair was so long and soft because hers is like ear length and all this stuff. Mind you, my hair is barely APL and really not that great... so hers must've been pretty jacked under that bad weave for me to be some goddess LOL. Being on LHCF I've seen the real goddesses, and I aint there yet.

I'm sorry to hear that. That braider knew she was wrong for that. Its a good thing you removed them when you did. Keep caring for it the way you were and your hair will recover soon. :hug2:

Yeah, but it sucks to waste all that money. $170 is big chunk outta me to just throw away....but its better safe than sorry I guess:ohwell:

I am sorry this happened to you. I always go to braiders that ask me exactly who big do I want my braids and how big do I want my parts. Those two things should always be discussed before she even touches your head.

Yeah my hair doesn't do too well w/braids either, I can't use synthetic hair in them at all.

Yeah, but it sucks to waste all that money. $170 is big chunk outta me to just throw away....but its better safe than sorry I guess:ohwell:

Sorry to read this :nono:. I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago when I had micro's with human hair minus the bacne. First of all I spend like 70 on the hair itself than 120 for them to put it in....what I was thinking IDk. I just wanted to get some new growth and not have to do my hair for awhile. HUGE mistake. I went on vacation and as soon as I got in the pool at least 20 of the braids slipped right out. By the time I got home most of my braids were either out or on the verge of slidding out. I was a junior in college so you know I was broke and so that was a huge loss to me. Please ladies be careful before you choose to do braids with fake hair.

I am sorry this happened to you. I always go to braiders that ask me exactly who big do I want my braids and how big do I want my parts. Those two things should always be discussed before she even touches your head.

ITA; You have to know what you want done to your hair before you sit down in the chair. I'm a braider worst nightmare. I have a list of dos and don't for them.

I'm sorry for the crappy braid job you had done to your hair. Here's a big hug and I hope it makes you feel better.

4.gif

OT - This movie with Chris Tucker is playin right now on TNT :lachen:

Back to the topic at hand - Sorry about your bad experience girlie, it happened to my mom and she's just starting to get hair back - that was over 2 years ago. But now she knows about this forum so it's all good. You can jump in on our "Grow your hairline back challenge though". HTH I've heard MTG and Peppermint Oil are wonderous for the hairline. Big Hugs to you, I'm praying over your hair as I type , in the name of Jesus let it return thicker and healthier than it was before Lord, amen.

OT - This movie with Chris Tucker is playin right now on TNT :lachen:

Back to the topic at hand - Sorry about your bad experience girlie, it happened to my mom and she's just starting to get hair back - that was over 2 years ago. But now she knows about this forum so it's all good. You can jump in on our "Grow your hairline back challenge though". HTH I've heard MTG and Peppermint Oil are wonderous for the hairline. Big Hugs to you, I'm praying over your hair as I type , in the name of Jesus let it return thicker and healthier than it was before Lord, amen.

AMEN AMEN!! :grin: Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Sorry to read this :nono:. I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago when I had micro's with human hair minus the bacne. First of all I spend like 70 on the hair itself than 120 for them to put it in....what I was thinking IDk. I just wanted to get some new growth and not have to do my hair for awhile. HUGE mistake. I went on vacation and as soon as I got in the pool at least 20 of the braids slipped right out. By the time I got home most of my braids were either out or on the verge of slidding out. I was a junior in college so you know I was broke and so that was a huge loss to me. Please ladies be careful before you choose to do braids with fake hair.

Oh No! I thought human hair guaranteed some kind of satisfation??!! I'd be hot after all that. And you went on vacation too, that's the WORST time to have hair issues. I don't know about yall but I can't pack all my much needed hair repair stuff away to take on vacation...Especially with the airport security BS.

ITA you have to have a do and don't list. I have twists, but Imake it clear that the amount of my hair in the twists she be equal to the amount synthetic haot used. Im now learning to do them myself by touching up Loose twists. i bring my own comb and supplies i do not aloow small teeth combs. Don't let someone else make the decisions for you. Its your hair its on your head no one else's opinion counts but your own.

Is this "trimming" when they run the scissors down the braids to get any hairs that are sticking out? When she did that I'm sitting there like "what if some if of that is my hair??"

That's exactly what I'm talking about. This will thin your hair out instantly because they are cutting some of your hair! I could never figure out why my ends looked almost see through every time I took my braids out:nono:

Also when they dip the ends all the way up to your ears in hot water to seal them...you KNOW that some of your real hair is getting in that boiling water:ohwell:

ITA you have to have a do and don't list. I have twists, but Imake it clear that the amount of my hair in the twists she be equal to the amount synthetic haot used. Im now learning to do them myself by touching up Loose twists. i bring my own comb and supplies i do not aloow small teeth combs. Don't let someone else make the decisions for you. Its your hair its on your head no one else's opinion counts but your own.

:look:I spied on your Fotki...VERY pwetty twists :grin:

What brand of hair do you use? And, how do you do your own twist?

Back