I HATE Braids!! These stupid 'medium' extentions tore out my F-in hair!!!

That's exactly what I'm talking about. This will thin your hair out instantly because they are cutting some of your hair! I could never figure out why my ends looked almost see through every time I took my braids out:nono:

Also when they dip the ends all the way up to your ears in hot water to seal them...you KNOW that some of your real hair is getting in that boiling water:ohwell:

:nono::nono::nono: :::rubbing and saying sorry to my poor hair:::

:grouphug3:hugs to you and every one that went through this
i used to go to ny to get my hair braided and no matter what you tell them please to braid too tight or dont braid my edges they dont listen i have since stopped going and my edges have never been better

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I love braids but really believe that, since it's my hair, I get to dictate how things will work. Like Closer1 said, don't let them make decisions for you. I truly believe in taking control over the process cuz I think it's mandatory.

Because my hair is thick and not relaxed bone straight, they always want to blow-dry it first. I always say no. Next, they try to rip through it with the rat-tail comb that they use to make parts to comb my hair. I have literally grabbed someone's hand once for that. I take my wide tooth comb and insist on combing it out myself (and I admit that this is quite a job). I never let them do this. I lie by saying I'm allergic to their creams and grease and whip out my own stuff (ORS Olive Oil, KeraCare Oil Moisturizer w/Jojoba, and KeraCare Leave In Conditioner) because for some reason they always have that godawful Pink Oil:nono:. I know they talk about me in their language, but I don't care. I don't let them use rubber bands to hold sections of hair, either. I take my own scrunchies.

Once we get past those issues, I have a good experience. They never pull the hair too tight, and if I need them to loosen the grip they comply with no problem. I get good results, they get paid (and tipped because after all of that they do a really good job) and everyone's happy. It helps to have the same braider work on you every time you go. That way, they understand you and your requirements.

Hang in there, as this too shall pass. :yep: Your hair will bounce back in no time.

:look:I spied on your Fotki...VERY pwetty twists :grin:

What brand of hair do you use? And, how do you do your own twist?

Thank you so much. I use Marley brand. Please ACV them before you use them. That goes for any sythetic hair they all have alkaline in them.. Next time Im going the Bmoreflygirl route. Do them myself.

Stay away from braids they ( braiders) love to "clean up" the braid and cutting your hair in the mean time. Please DC and Baby your hair.

Thank you so much. I use Marley brand. Please ACV them before you use them. That goes for any sythetic hair they all have alkaline in them.. Next time Im going the Bmoreflygirl route. Do them myself.

Stay away from braids they ( braiders) love to "clean up" the braid and cutting your hair in the mean time. Please DC and Baby your hair.
Becoming a do it yourselfer was the best move I ever made for styling my hair.

How do you ACV the synthetic hair? Spray or soak them? For how long?

ITA; You have to know what you want done to your hair before you sit down in the chair. I'm a braider worst nightmare. I have a list of dos and don't for them.

Sho nuff. I just got my long box pixie braids. I had a picture that I found on line. Once i got in that chair I let them know that I wanted my braids thick.
They told me that they couldn't do the pixie if they were too thick. I then told them to make the sections of hair that they used thick.
The braids look beautiful, in the back part they made the boxes of hair pretty thick. The front isn't as thick, I feel great about how the braids look, but i have to admit I am fearful of matting and hair loss when the braids come out.
I mean i worked sooooo hard to get to almost APL...My dream is to take the braids down after regular triweekly touch ups and find long BSL hair in Dec 08.
What I would hate is to take the braids down and find damaged hair!!!
:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:.
I'm armed with my Surge 14 spray that I will use everyday on my scalp and eventually I will use my Hollywood beauty mayonaisse egg creme on the braids themselves...so hopefully that will counteract any damage.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I love braids but really believe that, since it's my hair, I get to dictate how things will work. Like Closer1 said, don't let them make decisions for you. I truly believe in taking control over the process cuz I think it's mandatory.

Because my hair is thick and not relaxed bone straight, they always want to blow-dry it first. I always say no. Next, they try to rip through it with the rat-tail comb that they use to make parts to comb my hair. I have literally grabbed someone's hand once for that. I take my wide tooth comb and insist on combing it out myself (and I admit that this is quite a job). I never let them do this. I lie by saying I'm allergic to their creams and grease and whip out my own stuff (ORS Olive Oil, KeraCare Oil Moisturizer w/Jojoba, and KeraCare Leave In Conditioner) because for some reason they always have that godawful Pink Oil:nono:. I know they talk about me in their language, but I don't care. I don't let them use rubber bands to hold sections of hair, either. I take my own scrunchies.

Once we get past those issues, I have a good experience. They never pull the hair too tight, and if I need them to loosen the grip they comply with no problem. I get good results, they get paid (and tipped because after all of that they do a really good job) and everyone's happy. It helps to have the same braider work on you every time you go. That way, they understand you and your requirements.

Hang in there, as this too shall pass. :yep: Your hair will bounce back in no time.

This is wonderful advice and the same approach I try to adopt, after being jacked up by hair braiders (both African and African American alike) for many years.

I actually came to the conclusion that extensions are simply not for me. Whether it was Kanekelon or human hair, both always had a terrible effect on my hair and its health. They absorbed anything I sprayed onto my hair, my ends were chewed up, and my hair overall was weaker. I was kind of upset this summer when, after 6 weeks of having braids, I took them out and I had to get a 3 inch hair cut. And I had used very high quality human hair!!! :wallbash: :perplexed

Collie, you may be on to something about hating braids in general. I honestly believe that braids are not for everyone. They are certainly not for me. :nono:

ITA; You have to know what you want done to your hair before you sit down in the chair. I'm a braider worst nightmare. I have a list of dos and don't for them.

So am I! I bring my own combs, hairbands, conditoner, shampoo and shea mix.
I actually find African braiders better because when you tell them what to do they listen, as opposed to just shouting you down like the UK (and I'm sure US equivalents) would.
I'm sorry you had breakage though. I'm not sure about the 'they're used to handling coarser hair thing though. Having been to Africa loads of times, like in the states, there are many different hair types.

:lachen:I thought I was the only one who pulled the 'I'm allergic, so I can't use your shampoo, conditioner, comb, hair bands, your hair because it hasn't been washed with my special shampoo' line!

Guapa1, nope, you're not the only one. I figure it's easier to just say I'm allergic to Pink Oil and its equivalent than to make them feel bad for using that crap!:yep: Whatever works, right?

I used my own hair still i lost huge hand full of hair my hair were so matted it thinned out so bad. i am recovered now, but never will i ever in my lifee wear braids again neverrrr.

Hey,

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I pray your hair and scalp is able to recover. Sharing your experience with the lady who did your hair will hopefully help to ensure that she never does this to anyone again.

(((HUGS))) Sorry to hear about that. If you have another braiding experience, I hope it is more positive.

I used to get alot of breakage from braids...that why I stopped getting them PERIOD! The only braids I do are BRAID-OUTS (ya feel me)!:thumbsup:

Back