I had a major setback! Depressing!!

HoneyDew

Guys,

I was finally seeing progress from my broken (cut) hair spots, when I started using a blowdryer w/comb attachments a few months ago. A few weeks ago I stopped using it because I could tell that my hair was getting thinner.

That was good, but my mistake was not nursing that section back to health. Over the past week, it looks as if the area is even more broken and the over all dryness of the area has increased. I should have taken more drastic measures. But, I started a new job a few weeks ago and everything seems out of sorts – my schedule, my workout routine, my sleeping - everything!

The rest of my hair is doing fine, but this bad section needs HELP!!!

It is depressing to moisturize that section because I could see just how bad it is. It is so bad that I don’t want to touch it, actually.

Well, I do feel a little better this morning. Last night I shampooed and deep conditioned. Applied Leave-in, a little WGO and Redken Heat Glide and then let my hair air dry. Airdrying just seems to be a better choice.

I flat-ironed but I slept in the Satin Foam Rollers so that my hair would be curly so that none of it is touching my shoulders.

It is time for me to get serious about this! :mad:

Anyway, I had to let that out.

It is said all the time - Just watch the heat ladies - so that you don't have to deal with this!

I'm sorry you had this problem. Yeah, I'm trying to get serious about the no heat stuff too. It's hard to keep it out, but it's important for hair health. With proper care, I'm sure your hair will be in gret condition again in no time.

I agree w/ naptrl.

I know you didn't want to go thru this-but you learned something new about your hair and how much heat it can/can't take etc...

Hopefully--with some extra attention and the warm weather coming--it will be in great condition and growing, growing, growing!

Girl I had the back of my hair BRUCK OFF, not break but BRUCK off from a Clairol textures and tone colour. OMG that Shamboosie recommended that colour as well, I should beat his a$$ for that. If you check my album under the 'Problem Area Progress' section you will see I had an upside down V that looked like my hairhad just been eaten away at. I got vex decided not to look at it, decided not to cut it, but give it some months to see if it would catch up rather than doing a big chop to make it even. And I'm glad I waited, (I'm going to be posting more pics of that area tonight actually) but the back (which is the hottest part of my head and grows quicker) actually caught up and gre out really well with the rest of my hair. Even though it was a major set back, I learnt now before say bra length or waist length that dying my hair would be a very bad option, at least you know now, that heat is not your best friend. Its changed the way I look after my hair, i wash it in sections and relax it in sections rather than just all back, I found part of the problem was not doing this initially, I was paying attention nor particularly looking after my hair. The back seems to be a very 'fragile' area for many and I notice that this area is totally different to the front and the sides and needs to be looked after differently. Girl with the progress you've made from MN you should have no problem in getting that area back to good health. Good Luck on your journey.

:lol: :lol: BRUCK OFF! i know what you mean.

That is exactly what mine did!!

Shamboosie suggested a few products that are not that good. It’s as if his book is a bid advertisement for companies that paid him off.

As a matter of fact, I was flipping through it recently and he was talking about Deep Conditioning. He said that Humectress is ONLY one that works and that you shouldn’t use anything else because he has tried everything. We all know that is crap!

Anyway, thanks guys for the encouragement.

I am getting serious about this no heat thing.

I do need my FHI once a week, though. I did just order some Caruso rollers and a Maxiglide to see if they are better to help with styling, but NO MORE BLOW DRYING!!!!!

LondonDiva said:
Girl I had the back of my hair BRUCK OFF, not break but BRUCK off from a Clairol textures and tone colour. OMG that Shamboosie recommended that colour as well, I should beat his a$$ for that. If you check my album under the 'Problem Area Progress' section you will see I had an upside down V that looked like my hairhad just been eaten away at. I got vex decided not to look at it, decided not to cut it, but give it some months to see if it would catch up rather than doing a big chop to make it even. And I'm glad I waited, (I'm going to be posting more pics of that area tonight actually) but the back (which is the hottest part of my head and grows quicker) actually caught up and gre out really well with the rest of my hair. Even though it was a major set back, I learnt now before say bra length or waist length that dying my hair would be a very bad option, at least you know now, that heat is not your best friend. Its changed the way I look after my hair, i wash it in sections and relax it in sections rather than just all back, I found part of the problem was not doing this initially, I was paying attention nor particularly looking after my hair. The back seems to be a very 'fragile' area for many and I notice that this area is totally different to the front and the sides and needs to be looked after differently. Girl with the progress you've made from MN you should have no problem in getting that area back to good health. Good Luck on your journey.

Don't feel bad my hair broke off in the back on the right when I got blonde highlights. That area is still a little shorter and a little thinner than my other side. But it's almost caught up and have gotten a lot better compared to a few months ago.

HoneyDew said:
:lol: :lol: BRUCK OFF! i know what you mean.

That is exactly what mine did!!

Shamboosie suggested a few products that are not that good. It’s as if his book is a bid advertisement for companies that paid him off.

As a matter of fact, I was flipping through it recently and he was talking about Deep Conditioning. He said that Humectress is ONLY one that works and that you shouldn’t use anything else because he has tried everything. We all know that is crap!

Anyway, thanks guys for the encouragement.

I am getting serious about this no heat thing.

I do need my FHI once a week, though. I did just order some Caruso rollers and a Maxiglide to see if they are better to help with styling, but NO MORE BLOW DRYING!!!!!

I think you need to let all of the heat go for awhile...it has helped me tremendoulsy over the last 6 months. I have been roller setting and using Carusos..recently I have been kinda bad and used a curling iron because of laziness but no more. It really is hard to dedicate yourself to doing it but it will pay off in the long run.

If I find a way to totally eliminate heat, and still have my hair look nice for work and my lifestyle, I am all for it. I wish that I could. Believe me I tried the infamous methods– braid outs, bunning, silk scarf -and none of them turned out nice enough. And rollersets - i cannot even get the rollers to stay on. :look:

I bought the carusos and I am excited to try that. But, since I am airdrying, I really do need some way to get my hair soft and shiny for styling.

For me, dropping heat will have to be done in stages unless I can find other options that will give me a nice professional polished look.

I wish I had more trial and error time, as well. I am so busy rushing around to do this and that and I just never have hours and hours to devote to my hair. :(

marie170 said:
I think you need to let all of the heat go for awhile...it has helped me tremendoulsy over the last 6 months. I have been roller setting and using Carusos..recently I have been kinda bad and used a curling iron because of laziness but no more. It really is hard to dedicate yourself to doing it but it will pay off in the long run.

With the carusos, how are you getting your hair straight? With the rollersets?

Honeydew

I feel the same way you do. The beginning of this month I had a revelation. I told myself girl you GOT to get serious. I decided that I was only going to use heat about once per month and do things like rollersets and strawsets.

So I put myself on a mini- no heat challenge and I used this time to build my hair up. I am thinking about different syles I want to try and a regimen that includes heat only once per month (twice this may because I am relaxing and I want to show my relaxer) only to show my length. Girl you can do it! Just keep your head up!

MizaniMami said:
Honeydew

I feel the same way you do. The beginning of this month I had a revelation. I told myself girl you GOT to get serious. I decided that I was only going to use heat about once per month and do things like rollersets and strawsets.

So I put myself on a mini- no heat challenge and I used this time to build my hair up. I am thinking about different syles I want to try and a regimen that includes heat only once per month (twice this may because I am relaxing and I want to show my relaxer) only to show my length. Girl you can do it! Just keep your head up!

I am challenging myself as well. I marked it on my Hair Care Calendar - this is the start of dropping out this heat!!!

I am no longer prioritizing length goals.

HoneyDew said:
Guys,

I was finally seeing progress from my broken (cut) hair spots, when I started using a blowdryer w/comb attachments a few months ago. A few weeks ago I stopped using it because I could tell that my hair was getting thinner.

That was good, but my mistake was not nursing that section back to health. Over the past week, it looks as if the area is even more broken and the over all dryness of the area has increased. I should have taken more drastic measures. But, I started a new job a few weeks ago and everything seems out of sorts – my schedule, my workout routine, my sleeping - everything!

The rest of my hair is doing fine, but this bad section needs HELP!!!

It is depressing to moisturize that section because I could see just how bad it is. It is so bad that I don’t want to touch it, actually.

Well, I do feel a little better this morning. Last night I shampooed and deep conditioned. Applied Leave-in, a little WGO and Redken Heat Glide and then let my hair air dry. Airdrying just seems to be a better choice.

I flat-ironed but I slept in the Satin Foam Rollers so that my hair would be curly so that none of it is touching my shoulders.

It is time for me to get serious about this! :mad:

Anyway, I had to let that out.

It is said all the time - Just watch the heat ladies - so that you don't have to deal with this!

HoneyDew,

I am having the same problem here. This past Monday I stated using the MN and hopefully I will see result within the month or so. I am SO SO mad w/myself b/c I used dryfast protein when I shouldn't have. My hair can not handle protein, well not alot anyway.

sending growth vibes your way sweetie

HoneyDew said:
I am challenging myself as well. I marked it on my Hair Care Calendar - this is the start of dropping out this heat!!!

I am no longer prioritizing length goals.

Well then HoneyDew do you want to be no/low heat buddies? We can check on each other's progress??

Girl I am still in the stuggle to find no heat straight styles but I am still investigating...

HoneyDew said:

Yeah I rollerset my hair first then maintain the curls with the Carusos...have you tried doing the ponytail roller sets where you section your hair off in section then put a hairband on it then roller it with the roller? I have had success with doing this. Make sure your roots are as straight as you can get them before putting the band on.

marie170 said:
Yeah I rollerset my hair first then maintain the curls with the Carusos...have you tried doing the ponytail roller sets where you section your hair off in section then put a hairband on it then roller it with the roller? I have had success with doing this. Make sure your roots are as straight as you can get them before putting the band on.

I was actually looking at that after I did a search for rollerset techniques.

I think I am going to try it this weekend, actually.

I pray that it works out for me!!!!!

what products do you use on your hair before rolling?

HoneyDew said:

Also, I think roller setting it then wrapping it and sitting back under the dryer helps get it straight as well.

HoneyDew said:
I was actually looking at that after I did a search for rollerset techniques.

I think I am going to try it this weekend, actually.

I pray that it works out for me!!!!!

what products do you use on your hair before rolling?

I use mousse but there are alot of setting lotions people have recommended. Alot of people just use some type of leave in like NTM and use a spray bottle with water to make sure the hair stays extra wet while you are rollersetting it. This helps it turn out better.

MizaniMami said:
Well then HoneyDew do you want to be no/low heat buddies? We can check on each other's progress??

Girl I am still in the stuggle to find no heat straight styles but I am still investigating...

Yes, that would be great!!

The fact that I was able to airdry and still achieve soft hair was a 1st for me. I am happy about that, but I need to give my FHI a rest.

Can you believe I bought another FHI 207rvi for backup! I feel safe that a brand new one is chilling out in my closet just in case my other one breaks. I am addicted to it and I need to go to detox quickly!!!!

marie170 said:

You ain't neva lie. LOL! It's soooooooooooo hard!

marie170 said:
I use mousse but there are alot of setting lotions people have recommended. Alot of people just use some type of leave in like NTM and use a spray bottle with water to make sure the hair stays extra wet while you are rollersetting it. This helps it turn out better.

I am trying it this weekend!!

BF out of town and I have no errands to run this weekend (besides a product run to Sally's). I think I am going to play around with the ponytail rollerset.

I did have an appt with a new stylist Saturday, but i don't think I am ready for that.

Last edited:
HoneyDew said:
I am trying it this weekend!!

BF out of town and I have no errands to run this weekend (besides a product run to Sally's). I think I am going to play around with the ponytail rollerset.

I did have an appt with a new stylist Saturday, but i don't think I am ready for that.

Let us know how it turns out...don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out as good as you would have hoped. I think it takes practice to get rollersets the way you want them but the ponytail rollerset helps out alot.

HoneyDew, keep that head up. You are making such great progress with your hair, I'm sure it will bounce back in no time.

HoneyDew--

Don't worry too much about the setback. I would try rollersetting as the others suggested, and then doing pincurls at night. Just keep up your routine, moisturizing that area and nursing it back to health!

I've experienced a major setback & breakage since trying to let go of heat. I'm determined to get airdrying down, but my hair isn't relaxed straight so it's tough. You're not alone though :kiss: and when you figure out how to get by without heat let me know :lol: !

~One

HoneyDew said:
If I find a way to totally eliminate heat, and still have my hair look nice for work and my lifestyle, I am all for it. I wish that I could. Believe me I tried the infamous methods– braid outs, bunning, silk scarf -and none of them turned out nice enough. And rollersets - i cannot even get the rollers to stay on. :look:

I bought the carusos and I am excited to try that. But, since I am airdrying, I really do need some way to get my hair soft and shiny for styling.

For me, dropping heat will have to be done in stages unless I can find other options that will give me a nice professional polished look.

I wish I had more trial and error time, as well. I am so busy rushing around to do this and that and I just never have hours and hours to devote to my hair. :(

Wow, honey dew, sorry about the set back, but it's a minor "bumb" in the road of your hair journey, so hang in there. At least you've learned something about heat and your hair. Girl, eliminating heat was the hardest, the HARDEST lesson I had to learn about my hair and it took me a year of trying all kinds of stuff (heat protectants, products, blow dryers, hood dryers, heat settings, whatever!) I was all over the map trying to convince myself there was a way to use heat "safely" on my hair, and I just didn't find and I surrendered in total defeat and started getting serious about how I was gonna wear my hair without heat. You know my story from some other threads and my hair care is now so "easy breesy" and heat free, not to mention long and thick, I'm amazed it took me as long as it did to give up the heat. But hang there, I feel ya 'cause I was right where you are, trying to figure it out and you'll come thru just find, just keep looking for what works for you . . . .

(((HUGS)) on the "minor" set back . . .

HoneyDew-

Are you sure that your thinning/breakage is due to heat? It couldn't have anything to do with the MN could it? ....As you can see, I'm still a little bit nervous about using it.

Phoenix said:
HoneyDew-

Are you sure that your thinning/breakage is due to heat? It couldn't have anything to do with the MN could it? ....As you can see, I'm still a little bit nervous about using it.

I don't think so.

I thought about that, but I can tell that it is from the dryer. It started after I started using that dryer and I used it twice a week AND flatironed. Bad, I know.

And it is in a area that I worried about because I was having a hard time handling the weight of the dryer and getting to that area. I felt like I was pulling my hair especially in that spot. You would think that I would have stopped doing that!!!!

I also started seeing little hairs on the bathroom wall behind where I stand when I blowdry.

It is from all the heat. My neighbor has been using MN for years on her scalp and never had any hair fall out of break. She is not relaxed and does not use heat and I know everyone is different, but I really confident that my breakage is a result of novice use of a professional dryer with a comb attachment used twice a week on high followed by flat-ironing. Stupid hair behavior, I know, I am ashamed to admit that I was doing that. Most of my hair is "fine" (could be better), it is just that already weak area that has suffered the most.

HoneyDew said:
I don't think so.

I thought about that, but I can tell that it is from the dryer. It started after I started using that dryer and I used it twice a week AND flatironed. Bad, I know.

And it is in a area that I worried about because I was having a hard time handling the weight of the dryer and getting to that area. I felt like I was pulling my hair especially in that spot. You would think that I would have stopped doing that!!!!

I also started seeing little hairs on the bathroom wall behind where I stand when I blowdry.

It is from all the heat. My neighbor has been using MN for years on her scalp and never had any hair fall out of break. She is not relaxed and does not use heat and I know everyone is different, but I really confident that my breakage is a result of novice use of a professional dryer with a comb attachment used twice a week on high followed by flat-ironing. Stupid hair behavior, I know, I am ashamed to admit that I was doing that. Most of my hair is "fine" (could be better), it is just that already weak area that has suffered the most.

That's a relief. I'm sure you will nurse your hair back to health in no time.

Phoenix said:
That's a relief. I'm sure you will nurse your hair back to health in no time.

I hope so. But it is my own fault applying all that heat.

Also, I never applied MN to my hair, just my scalp. I would be concerned if myhair broke off at the scalp, but it is my ends that are breaking more.

oh, well. This was just my wake up call, I guess.

honeydew, it'll be ok. i'm trying to let go of the heat as well.

i've totally dont use the curling iron anymore because it was killing my hair.

i tried to do a wet rollerset last night, but it didnt go well and I wound up blowdrying (slow speed, med heat). but I'll try the rollerset again when I wash my hair next week.

LadyJay114 said:
honeydew, it'll be ok. i'm trying to let go of the heat as well.

i've totally dont use the curling iron anymore because it was killing my hair.

i tried to do a wet rollerset last night, but it didnt go well and I wound up blowdrying (slow speed, med heat). but I'll try the rollerset again when I wash my hair next week.

I know. The times in the past that i tried rollersets did not turn out pretty.

I was ot working for 3 whole month. I should have not wasted that time and learned rollersets. Now that I am working again I don’t seem to have time. Besides, during that time, my hair was doing so well. It has gotten worse since I started working again. I also used to wear some a clip in piece so that it would be easier to wear my hair up. I may have to revisit that, as well.

But, the blow-dryer is totally out for me. I am just not going to use it again. I am going to try to stretch relaxers, as well. If I can’t do it, I may try some braids out, because this has really gotten old!

Back