i got a mega-trim!

LivingDol1

Ooooookay, I'm glad I claimed BSL last week because it's so gone now... ugh.... I went to the salon today. washed, set, and got my trim. We discussed an inch.... He said, "We'll see. Just trust me."

He cut off 2! at least 2. My hair is like 1/2" below APL. :wallbash:

*sigh*... BUT it looks much healthier. My hair has more body and bounce. It looks fuller. The length isn't tapering into nothing at the ends.

He said he thinks I need to trim off a little more but I am putting my foot down on this one! I'm getting my touch up relaxer next week... and then he was telling me how the week AFTER, we should do deep conditioning treatments... well, I appreciate the concern but I can do my own hair just fine, thank you. :yep: I can't afford to go to the salon every week for the rest of my life.

...Which brings me to a question... I wonder what I'm doing wrong with my own DCing treatments. I DC my hair for at least 45 min to an hour under a bonnet dryer when i wash my hair (twice a week normally). I use NTM deep conditioner or kera care's dry & itchy scalp. I wonder what else i could be doing...

anyway, see the comparison pics attached. the first 2 are back shot comparisons and the second 2 is my hair now, after the "mega-trim".

Attachments

• 3_21_backview.jpg
    3_21_backview.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 148
  • back_BSL.jpg
    back_BSL.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 3_21_side.jpg
    3_21_side.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 3_21_profile.jpg
    3_21_profile.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 112
I understand your disappointment, but your ends look fantastic AND from henceforth you can focus on retaining length by preserving them. What types of styles are you wearing? Are you incorporating protein DC in your regimen? My hair is quite fine, and I find that in order to keep splits at bay, I HAVE to incorporate at least a moderate protein DC in my regimen once a week. Rollersets have also been a lifesaver for my ends (along with just a dab of vaseline at the very tips)

Your hair looks great! I do think it looks bouncier and healthier post trim.

Maybe you should incorporate more protective styles? I know buns aren't aren't always fun, but I've always gotten really good results using them.

Last edited:
I understand your disappointment, but your ends look fantastic AND from henceforth you can focus on retaining length by preserving them. What types of styles are you wearing? Are you incorporating protein DC in your regimen? My hair is quite fine, and I find that in order to keep splits at bay, I HAVE to incorporate at least a moderate protein DC in my regimen once a week. Rollersets have also been a lifesaver for my ends (along with just a dab of vaseline at the very tips)

thanks. :) i will get past the length (puns always intended). I did once chop my hair to my chin on a crazy whim so... it's okay. it's been worse. ;-)

i use megatek twice a week when i wash my hair (leave in under a cap for 10-15 minutes). when i don't use megatek, i pre poo with ORS hair mayo. i also just bought the ORS replenishing packets.. 3 of them... never tried them. i'm going to start using protein and DCing once a week instead of twice.

i have been roller setting since i've started on this healthy hair kick. now that i have healthier ends, i will do it religiously. would like to air dry but that doesn't seem to be working for me. i need to hide my blow dryer in a lock box and throw away the key.

i wear my hair down 2-3 days a week and up in a bun or a high pony the rest of the week.

i also take a ton of vitamins. just added gelatin to the mix. ;) i'm curious if it will thicken up my strands...

Your hair looks great! I do think it looks bouncier and healthier post trim.

Maybe you should incorporate more protective styles? I know buns aren't aren't always fun, but I've always gotten really food results using them.

thanks. i think i will have to throw in more buns. everyone at work knows i have long hair! i don't need to wear it out all the time. ;-) and i need to mix it up a bit. hence why i subscribed to the 52 weeks of protective styling thread. i want to wear updos and make sure they can be fun and flirty too.

your hair is gorgeous BTW. i'm entirely envious! :)

thanks. :) i will get past the length (puns always intended). I did once chop my hair to my chin on a crazy whim so... it's okay. it's been worse. ;-)

i use megatek twice a week when i wash my hair (leave in under a cap for 10-15 minutes). when i don't use megatek, i pre poo with ORS hair mayo. i also just bought the ORS replenishing packets.. 3 of them... never tried them. i'm going to start using protein and DCing once a week instead of twice.

i have been roller setting since i've started on this healthy hair kick. now that i have healthier ends, i will do it religiously. would like to air dry but that doesn't seem to be working for me. i need to hide my blow dryer in a lock box and throw away the key.

i wear my hair down 2-3 days a week and up in a bun or a high pony the rest of the week.

i also take a ton of vitamins. just added gelatin to the mix. ;) i'm curious if it will thicken up my strands...

The bolded will mess you up in a heartbeat! Do you have a hooded dryer to dry your rollerset? This may help your hair dry smoother without the need of additional heat :yep:

The bolded will mess you up in a heartbeat! Do you have a hooded dryer to dry your rollerset? This may help your hair dry smoother without the need of additional heat :yep:

i have a shotty bonnet dryer. i am considering investing in a pibbs... or something close to it for a lower price. when he took my hair out of the rollers, my hair looked so shiny and smooth.... i haven't been able to achieve that with my roller sets....

Yep, your hair looks much healthier with the trimmed ends than with the other ends. :up:

Now about your DC treatments, first thing is it is not necessary to stay under the dryer with your conditioner longer than 20 minutes. The product can only penetrate so far no matter how long you sit under there. Also, if your hair is relaxed you should incorporate a conditioner with a protein ingredient into your regimen for you DC treatments. If you don't, your ends may continue to disappoint you. I'm not necessarily talking about a protein treatment, though those are important as well, but a moisturizing conditioner with a protein ingredient such as silk, wheat, or collagen.

i have a shotty bonnet dryer. i am considering investing in a pibbs... or something close to it for a lower price. when he took my hair out of the rollers, my hair looked so shiny and smooth.... i haven't been able to achieve that with my roller sets....

http://salonsrus.com/shopnow//catal...id=74&osCsid=0a44f8870d3dd6e616861e376eecdff5

I purchased this one not too long ago and it works WONDERFULLY. I had class at 11:00 am and started rolling my hair at 8:00 am. When I sat under the dryer at about 9:10 am my hair was still thoroughly wet, and by 10:05 or so my hair was completely dry (I'm about an inch or so away from BSL) :yep:.

As someone said
in a previous post.
Health before length.

I'm sure your going to look
great regardless of a little cut.

:grin:

Your hair looks beautiful. I actually cut my hair about 3 inches before I came here and I'm glad I did. It's growing out prettier.

You can find a great dryer at one of your local BSS. I got one for $69.99, and it works great!

I wuld do a JOICO K-PAK once a week and hydration once a week, Watch how much stress yo put on the pony tail looks like you might have shorter hair at edges conpared to center of head..

Your ends do look great now. But I understand how you feel. I once went in for a trim that turned into a haircut. But I wasn't mad about it b/c I knew that I really probably did need most of it cut off. It was like my hair got a fresh start.

Yep, your hair looks much healthier with the trimmed ends than with the other ends. :up:

Now about your DC treatments, first thing is it is not necessary to stay under the dryer with your conditioner longer than 20 minutes. The product can only penetrate so far no matter how long you sit under there. Also, if your hair is relaxed you should incorporate a conditioner with a protein ingredient into your regimen for you DC treatments. If you don't, your ends may continue to disappoint you. I'm not necessarily talking about a protein treatment, though those are important as well, but a moisturizing conditioner with a protein ingredient such as silk, wheat, or collagen.

good point about the 20 minute thing! when i go to the salon, they only DC my hair for 20 minutes. why do i feel the need to do extra?

i am going to take a closer look at the ingredients in my conditioner and find out if any of them have a protein ingredient. i was also interested in ordering some SAA online to spritz on my hair or add to a conditioner.

http://salonsrus.com/shopnow//catal...id=74&osCsid=0a44f8870d3dd6e616861e376eecdff5

I purchased this one not too long ago and it works WONDERFULLY. I had class at 11:00 am and started rolling my hair at 8:00 am. When I sat under the dryer at about 9:10 am my hair was still thoroughly wet, and by 10:05 or so my hair was completely dry (I'm about an inch or so away from BSL) :yep:.

thank you for the link! you've been so helpful. :) i really appreciate it. i will probably wind up ordering this very soon.

The same thing happened to me LivingDol1. A girl at work with long hair told me to go to her stylist. She cut off 2 inches last week. Everyone says its fuller but I have been having hair anxiety!! I want my length back. No more stylist for me until august!!!

I think your hair looks lovely now, no more thin ends :) I have fine hair but using Ayurvedic powders has thickened up my hair so much in a really short time.

The same thing happened to me LivingDol1. A girl at work with long hair told me to go to her stylist. She cut off 2 inches last week. Everyone says its fuller but I have been having hair anxiety!! I want my length back. No more stylist for me until august!!!

oh noo!! i understand the hair anxiety. but your hair will grow back with fuller ends!

yeah, def only go to the stylist as needed. i don't think it's necessary to get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks in the hair looks healthy. how are you going to maintain length if they keep chopping it off??

I just got a trim yesterday, and it was the best thing that happen to my hair. Its much healthier and don't look blah anymore. I didn't want to cut my hair at all, but I know in the long run it was best. I be wondering the same thing, cause I do the DC and keep my ends moisturize how in the world do they get so out of whack.
Your hair does look good.

I just got a trim yesterday, and it was the best thing that happen to my hair. Its much healthier and don't look blah anymore. I didn't want to cut my hair at all, but I know in the long run it was best. I be wondering the same thing, cause I do the DC and keep my ends moisturize how in the world do they get so out of whack.
Your hair does look good.

your hair in your siggy looks so healthy!

i dunno. i may let my stylst give me a DCing treatment in a few weeks just so i can see if he does anything differently. they use mostly mizani products from what i can tell... which i've never used.

Your hair looks much fuller now...I need a trim but I am waiting until MBL,I probably would cry if she cuts off too much...but on a lighter note,when your hair grows in it will be much healthier and thicker :yep:

I kinda know how you feel. I had my hair cut about 2 inches shorter a month ago. But, I loove how healthy my hair looks, and how thick my ends are now.

Back