I give up!

I had severe breakage and shedding for many years no matter what I did to my hair or what stylist I went to but I found out last year that I have anemia and that I believe was the cause. I now take physician prescribed iron daily and I see a difference in my hair.

Last edited:
Sometimes, some hair just can't deal with "normal" products. Mine is one of them. For example,

My hair doesn't tolerate:
Silicones
Certain Proteins
Sulphates
Waxes
Lanolin
Coconut oil
Mineral oil (or it's siblings petrolutum, paraffin, etc.)

And since most, if not all products have at least one of those things, I can't use most conventional products that other people use. So as a result I use natural products.

Try gradually taking one ingredient out of your regimen at a time to see if there is any change. Hopefully you'll have more product choices then I do, but if not, it's not the end of the world.

I have tried apophogee. I didn't see much dif.

I never considered that my hair might be "allergic" to products. I know it doesn't like fake hair.

Does anyone know what the hair in the water trick was supposed to tell me?

I'm also wondering: Is it possible that my hair stylists are overlapping the new relaxer application on the already relaxed hair? Would that cause breakage?

I have had breakage at my crown for the past decade. It is now growing out since stretching my relaxers every 12 weeks. Before that, nothing worked and assumed I would always have breakage in that spot. A couple of years ago, I also tried stretching after coloring my hair and the whole head broke off terribly months later. After a big chop in Dec 05, I got rid of blowdrying and flatironing weekly and bunned w/o a clip (only with hairpins). I also deep condition twice a week w/ORS replenishing pack or Salerm wheat protein for 30 min under my Pibbs and only rollerset.

If stretching still scare you, I would try to avoid relaxing the crown only for 12 weeks at a time. I am in shock that the crown that always broke off for years, is now gaining length and catching up with the rest of my hair. I have photos of my overall hair in the fotki, but believe me the crown is really improving.

Yes it's colored. But I can guarantee it's not the coloring that did it. Because I had this breakage when I had no color and when I went natural. I just got it colored toward the end of last year. This breakage has been going on for years now. It's killing me.

To be honest I would try to start over and get a nice clean cut. And lay off the color. Baby those ends and don't be discouraged when you hair takes a little longer to get right. I think a positive attitude is great and have faith that your hair will be your crown of glory.

Good luck!

Ok, thanks for the advice. I am coming up on my 8 weeks post-relaxer. After some searching, I have decided to invest in Mega-Tek and attempt to stretch until week 10 - at least. I will also continue to moisturize. Will let you all know if I make it. Or just decide to shave my head bald.

your not going bald that's for sure....your hair is only breaking b/c of color and relaxer. you can either keep your colored/relaxed hair or cut it off and the breakage will stop. keep a solid reggie and you'll be fine imo from experience. now if you need a reggie that is a simple fix...but no product in this worl will stop what has already been damaged.

Does anyone think I should add co-wash to my regimen? I still can't tell if my hair needs more moisture or more protein.

Does anyone think I should add co-wash to my regimen? I still can't tell if my hair needs more moisture or more protein.
f

Bumping to get more advice for ya.:yep:

I think for now you need to find a regimen that works for you and gradually add in co-washing. I think keeping in simple in the beginning would be better. You'll need to find a balance between moisture and protein. Any one else have any advice on this?

Last edited:
Ms Tatum I'm not seeing any purely moisturizing conditioners on your list. Are you sure the products you're using are replenishing the moisture lost by relaxing and coloring? Protein keeps your hair strong but you need to add back moisture as well. Regarding your porosity issue you can use either an acv rinse or porosity control conditioner to remedy that. You might also want to look into a lower manipulation regimen, combing and wrapping might be too much for your hair right now.

If you do a search on the board for porosity, low manipulation and moisturizing conditioner you'll get a ton of good info. hth and hhg.

um...the ORS oil moisturizer/aphogee leave-in isnt enough? I also have avocado butter but i dont like the way it makes my hair feel.

ETa: Lexi I did a search
ow long did your hair stay afloat? Are you saying that it just didn't sink?

If it didn't sink, or took upwards of four minutes, then yes, you do need to correct your porosity. Your hair isn't ready to absorb anything, so if you put a regular moisturizer on it, it won't absorb well, it'll just SIT on the hair. Most of the posts I've read recommend Porosity Control conditioner. Too rich for my blood though , so I use Regenal by Wella instead.

As far as correcting as a preventive measure...? I don't know. Personally, I prefer to treat the issues that I know exist. Take protein for example, my hair is protein sensitive, so unless it starts to feel over-elastic, I just won't put any protein stronger than silk or wheat proteins on it. HTH!

I recently ran into hard water issues and porosity issues. My hair was crunchy and awful and no amount of oil or moisturizing would fix it. Once I clarified with a swimmer's shampoo and corrected porosity, no more problems. I've even...(forgive me)...skipped moisturizing entirely some days. I could never have done that 3 months ago.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=191287&highlight=porosity

Last edited:
OK, I just took some hair that came out during my wash today and put it in a bowl of water. It ain't sinkin! So I need protein, a pure moisturizer conditioner and a porosity controller?

This is what I was thinking. I had the worst breakage ever then I started daily co-washing with moisturizing conditioners and stretching to twelve weeks am I'm now APL with no breakage.

Thanks. Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. Shaving my head is looking pretty good. Taking care of your hair sounds like a dang job!

Back