I gave up braids... now what ?

Naphy

Arrrrrghhhh ! I was so happy doing braids on my hair. My hair was growing faster and longer. But it thinned my hair a lot :perplexed Right now, my hair is very thick, but I'm 2 months post braids. It takes me so much time to recovered a healthy and thicker hair. So I give up braids.
What can I do know ? My hair growth is so slow... since november, I've just gained 1.5-2 inches. 1.5-2 inches in 6 months ! I'm very desappointed.
Do you have suggestions on a new regimen ? I want to gain 2 inches by August to hit APL. I really need your help because it seems I'm losing time...

How about twists? Talk to Countrygal; she prefers them to braids as she finds herself manipulating her hair less in them. Maybe her regimen might help?

Were you wearing braid extensions or braiding your own hair? If you braid your own hair without extensions you can get the same benefits without the thinning.

Do you take supplements, drink alot of water and eat fruits and vegatables. What about exercising frequently? Perhaps a change in your diet or exer ise routine will jump start your metabolism for faster hair growth.

If that is not the problem are you doing the minimal heat/low manipulation? So far, this it working for me. I grow and retain about 1/2 inch a month. I flat ironed on Monday and realized I'm APL for the first time ever. I maintain my lengh by flat ironing only for special occasion and to check length after 12 week stretches. I co-wash almost daily after that I squeeze the water from my hair with a towel. Next I apply NTM silk and seal (not on scalp) with grease or vaseline (oil is to light). Once I get to 6 weeks then I co-wash every 3-4 days and bun religiously with a satin scrunchie.

Hope this works for you.

Nonie > twists ? good idea :D !
soun > I think I will baggy my hair every night from now on.
blackberry7 > braids with my own hair seems to be a good alternative ! I have to give it a try.
EHP, freshlikemoi > I'm not taking any vits for the moment, and I need to buy beer yeast pills, l-cys and multi. I need to schedule an exercise program every day too. I don't use any heat on my hair, but my scrunchy is very harsh. I need to get a softer one. I drink 1.5 liter of water a day, so I need to increase the intake. I co-wash daily, but I'm daily tempted to comb my hair while it's dry.

any other suggestions ? (vits, regimen, blablablabla) ?

Blackberry7 said:
Were you wearing braid extensions or braiding your own hair? If you braid your own hair without extensions you can get the same benefits without the thinning.

I agree here. Also maybe try cornrows with just your hair. My hair doesn't thin out when I keep it in cornrows. Sometimes I even braid in some hair near the ends just for length. Plus cornrows are easier & faster to take out & put it. But if 2 months post braids, you are back to a desirable level of thickness. Maybe it isn't thinning as much as you think.

More questions? Are you relaxed or natural? How often do you wash your hair? Do you clarify?

Back