I gave in......updated fotki (Long)

Traycee

Ok....I had made my mind up to stretch......The worst part is I told everyone..Well Sunday at church I walked past a mirror and I looked a hot mess.....Left church and went straight to BSS for my relaxer......:wallbash:

I gave in and relaxed.......I did do some things different this time because of what I learned from all of you:
  • Only left relaxer on hair just enough time to breakdown hair . Once broke down I rinsed out and shampoo ( I used to be that person as long as it didn't burn leave it on as long as possible. I used to relax for 10-15 mins) This time 5 mins
  • Rinsed hair throughly and applied neutralizing shampoo and made sure it was left on long enough to work. ( 5 mins or more)
  • I also applied conditioner to ends to help prevent damage.
I deep conditioned but my hair is really dry right now which only makes me feel even worse :heated:.........I felt so bad I didn't really flat iron.....just ran it though in big sections on low heat so I could check length. I did do some major dusting and I barely made BSL ....:sad: I'm so ashamed.......I moisturized and sealed and did a bun.......I'll roller set this weekend but my hair needs some tender loving care now!!!

Updates in fotki

Ok....I had made my mind up to stretch......The worst part is I told everyone..Well Sunday at church I walked past a mirror and I looked a hot mess.....Left church and went straight to BSS for my relaxer......:wallbash:

I gave in and relaxed.......I did do some things different this time because of what I learned from all of you:
  • Only left relaxer on hair just enough time to breakdown hair . Once broke down I rinsed out and shampoo ( I used to be that person as long as it didn't burn leave it on as long as possible. I used to relax for 10-15 mins) This time 5 mins
  • Rinsed hair throughly and applied neutralizing shampoo and made sure it was left on long enough to work. ( 5 mins or more)
  • I also applied conditioner to ends to help prevent damage.
I deep conditioned but my hair is really dry right now which only makes me feel even worse :heated:.........I felt so bad I didn't really flat iron.....just ran it though in big sections on low heat so I could check length. I did do some major dusting and I barely made BSL ....:sad: I'm so ashamed.......I moisturized and sealed and did a bun.......I'll roller set this weekend but my hair needs some tender loving care now!!!

Updates in fotki

About What???!!! Girl, your hair looks healthy and it sounds like you're doing the right things to it, stop beating yourself up, BACK OFF, and give yourself a break!!! :grin:

If now wasn't the right time to stretch for a long time, then it's better for you to do what's best for your hair than for you to meet a stretching goal and have lots of damage. HHG!

About What???!!! Girl, your hair looks healthy and it sounds like you're doing the right things to it, stop beating yourself up, BACK OFF, and give yourself a break!!! :grin:

If now wasn't the right time to stretch for a long time, then it's better for you to do what's best for your hair than for you to meet a stretching goal and have lots of damage. HHG!

Agreed. You're hair looks good:yep:.

:yep: Your hair look fabulous. Don't be ashamed. You can always restart stretching again. Some of us now an then have to break our regimen hair goal! I love your bun style. Very chic!!!! Congrats on BSL. I hope my short layers grow out nicely like yours.

Stretching too long leads to breakage. I did six months last time, and I really should have stopped the madness at 4 months. :lachen: Your hair is gorgeous.

ETA: Do you think that maybe the no-lye relaxer is causing the dryness? They dried me out really badly, and a lot of other people here have been saying the same thing.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies...........My hair is really, really dry.......In a couple of days I'm going to wash again with a neutralizing shampoo and deep condition.

Thanks ladies...........My hair is really, really dry.......In a couple of days I'm going to wash again with a neutralizing shampoo and deep condition.

Was your newgrowth dry before? You may have just underprocessed. If you used no-lye, then it may be time to chelate your hair.

Was your newgrowth dry before? You may have just underprocessed. If you used no-lye, then it may be time to chelate your hair.

It's not under processed..............I believe it is the no-lye relaxer.....Where do guys get Chelate Shampoo? .........You don't see those in BSS..

When I deep Condition in couple of days should I do Protein or Moisture?

Your hair is gorgeous!Stop being so hard on yourself.Do you have a wal- mart with a smart style salon?joico has a great chelating poo for $11.95

It's not under processed..............I believe it is the no-lye relaxer.....Where do guys get Chelate Shampoo? .........You don't see those in BSS..

Traycee, I think you should invest in Aveda DR Intensive for your DC. That way, if you need the protein, you'll get a very light dose, while getting the moisture you're craving. Also, you might consider a prepoo made with coconut milk, avocado and honey mixed in with a cheapie moisturizing conditioner....sit under dryer for about 30 to 45 min. HTH

ETA: Aveda Detoxifying Shampoo is an excellent chelator as well.

Joico has a good Chelating Shampoo. ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo is supposed to chelate over time as well.

DC: That is a hard one. I would probably do Protein followed by Moisture.

I'm going today to look for one of those chelate shampoos.....and Aveda DR Intensive .............Thanks you guys made me feel so much better......

Your hair looks wonderful!! It's not a requirement to stretch your relaxers. Many ladies here don't stretch and have beautiful heads of hair. If dryness is an issue, using a chelating shampoo as the ladies suggested in this thread should work. Barely BSL? (sigh) I can't wait until the day I can say that :grin:

Don't feel bad about not stretching too long. Sometimes if you stretch too much your hair will break. This is why I don't pay attention anymore to how long it's been, but the condition of my hair, which usually requires a touch up every 2.5 months, when it starts to break and be unruly.

Ion clarifying shampoo is another chelating shampoo. You can find it at Sally's for $5. And I think any commercial shampoo for swimmers applies also (except maybe castile soap based ones like Aubrey Organics)

your hair looks beautiful,:love: and what do you mean barely BSL, I think your being to hard on yourself, your hair looks great :)

Your hair is very beautiful ....and it looks like you are a full inch past the top of your brastrap so you are definitely rocking BSL!!!! Plus that piece of hair you're pulling isn't even straight, so you probably are at least another 1/2" - 3/4"!

Just baby your hair and yourself!!!

Last edited:
I did do some major dusting and I barely made BSL ....:sad: I'm so ashamed.......I moisturized and sealed and did a bun.

Ummmm....no. Barely BSL is when you have to tip your head back just a little to get your hair to the top of the strap. I don't care what you think, when my hair is even THAT long I'm BSL bay-bee!! :lachen:

It sounds like you did the best thing for your hair. I'm not relaxed, but stretching is as individual as anything else. We don't sacrifice health for length or looks for health here. You can have both! :yep: No shame in that.

My long time girlfriend just called me over the phone because she read this thread busting up laughing ..........and I'm like what !!!!! She brought up a serious point that I get to this length often and this is when things go seriously wrong......breakage, major and must needed trims..........

That explains my paranoia .......... I just :crossfingers: that this time will be different!!!!

Back