I Gave in and RELAXED My Hair

CynamonKis

Hi:

After trying for years to avoid using relaxers last week I RELAXED my hair. I tried very hard to live up to the standard I set for myself, but finally couldn't take fighting with the frizzy hair anymore!

I went to the store & got Motions Oil Mild & applied it to my hair following the directions & left it on for 10 minutes. WOWOW -- my hair is really straight.

I believe I can still have healthy hair by avoiding heat like the plague, and protecting/moisturizing the ends. So far I haven't even used my hooded dryer, unless I was deep-conditioning.

Also I trimmed my own hair about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

I will keep y'all posted as I fork out a new regiment for my newly-relaxed hair!

Girl as long as you're happy with your decision, I'm happy for you. I bet your hair looks great
smile.gif
. Do you still have the curly hair option? Congrats on your new style and you MUST pick up some S-curl for ponytail moisture
grin.gif

Hey Cynamonkis I'm glad you are happy with your hair. I know that was a hard decision for you ....but if you are happy that's great. I think with all the tips we learned here...you should have no problems. After I reach bra strap, I may try texturizing...I'll be playing it by ear.

dont worry girl, relaxed, natural, texturised, etc etc, it's all hair!!

congrats on getting a relaxer...!
cheers.gif

and yes, you can have healthy hair that is relaxed!
smile.gif

Thank you all for making me feel better about my decision. Initially I avoided the board for a week! Hopefully following the advice I've learned on this board my hair will still flourish & be healthy in its relaxed state.

Hi Cynamonkis,
wave.gif

As long as you are happy, and your hair is doing well, that's all that matters, and I am extremely happy for you. I do think that with the knowledge on this board, your hair can thrive with or without a relaxer. It's all in the care.
smile.gif

Cynamonkis.. i'm sure your relaxer looks great! There are multitudes of threads dealing with care for relaxed hair.
...Sometimes i think that we (the ladies of this board) have discussed almost every facet of haircare.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
After I reach bra strap, I may try texturizing...I'll be playing it by ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
Can we be "hair buddies" when you do?
laugh.gif

Hi CynamonKis,
I am about to do the same thing. I have not had a relaxer since July 2000. However, my hair is only about 7 inches long. I am tired of the natural styles - on my way to my hair appointment as soon as I finish this message.

I hope mine turns out as good as yours. I have been through the 'relax - natural - relax' cycle a couple of times already. Hopefully, with the help of this board, I will be able to maintain and grow my hair in a relaxed state.

You know, I tried to go natural a few years ago. My scalp was tender and I broke the teeth out of every comb I had. Finally, I just gave in and went back to the relaxer. I can relate.

Shelli:

I can relate!!
But as a long-haired natural, I no longer break teeth
Why?

1) daily rinsing
2) condition washing
3) and I never, ever comb my natural hair when it's dry.
combing natural hair = snap, crackle and pop.

My hair--very thick, and coily--is now quite manageable.
ciao
coilygirl

Are you still gonna color, too? I bet it looks great and wfrom what I've heard the Motions Oil is kind of like a texturizer because so many people said it didn't get their hair really straight, so you should be A-okay!
smile.gif

I relaxed my hair also so I can really understand what you are saying
smile.gif
My hair is very thick and though the natural products work wonderfully, I have found that nothing can straighten the hair the way a relaxer can. I mildly relaxed it and I am very happy with my decision. You did what was best for you and I'm glad everything turn out very well
smile.gif

Hey CynamonKis,
wave.gif

It's a girl's perogative to change her mind and go in another direction....that's what makes all this hair stuff so much fun!
smile.gif

The name of the game with home relaxer applications is to prevent "overlapping" previous relaxed hair. Check out the following sites regarding relaxer "mix-in's" that are supposed to make relaxers less damaging. I spoke to the developer of the EVP3 product who swears that mixing EVP3 with any relaxer will prevent overlap damage even if your relaxer application techniques aren't up to par. My plan was to try this product and mix it with the Elucence (mild) relaxer.....till I discovered Henna (henna is not for everybody....).

Feel good about your decision and know that your hair buddies (natural and relaxed) are looking out for you!
grin.gif

http://www.evp3.com/salonservices_info.html
Note: I've tried the classic creme and love it (my hair is on the dry side....)

http://www.styleone.com/benefits.html
I've used this in the past....Loved it! Mix a capful in your relaxer.

http://members.aol.com/horizon011/hair/break.html
Check out the info in this site...especially the link on Pro Design. I've used this product...he just takes too long to ship.

As you can probably tell by now....I'm a serious product junkie....I just hope some of the information is useful.
cool.gif

Thanks for the info. I've never thought about adding anything to my relaxer. How did your hair turn out with these additives?

I was VERY pleased with the results.
smile.gif
If I ever relax again I would definetly mix with the Style One product (I know it works, plus I LOVE the conditioner...) and I would try the EVP3 product based on my conversation with the developer of the product.

I used to get nervous about overlapping (only takes one bad touchup to ruin all my results and hard work) because my hair is so thick it was taking me 20min+ to apply and smooth....plus my scalp is extra sensitive. I noticed differences in elasticity and tensile strength after using the mix-in's.
up.gif

This sounds interesting. I might have to order one of these three products, and take it with me when I go to get my next touch up.

Ms. Kenesha I'll continue to color my hair with henna -- I began mixing brown henna w/red henna &amp; not only does it look great but my hair's condition is being improved....thanks for the encouragement...

Re: I Gave in and RELAXED My Hair (Hairyette)

Hairyette, thanks for the thoughtful reply to my post. Today, I took the time to review all of the links you sent me and I really love all of the information. Sorry it took me so long but I have been really busy lately!

Do you know what type of protein is contained in the Pro-Design product &amp; how far down on the ingredient list it is?

I, like you, love henna and I followed up my relaxer same-day with a henna treatment and I was really pleased with the results -- I think the henna's protein added strength to my &amp; also my hair color is now really stunning, since I started mixing brown &amp; red henna.

Thanks, again, for all of this helpful information &amp; making me feel better about my decision.

Back