(!!!) I Found Out What Was Giving MY Hair Problems...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
...Airdrying! :shocked:

Yes, airdrying.... it just makes my hair too dry, tangle up and matt together after my hair is completely dry no matter what hairstyle I wear, which is not a good combination when you have natural and relaxed hair that's layered! :( Airdried rollersets work only for the relaxed part of my hair, not my new growth, which eventually made my relaxed ends break and tangle sometimes, so....

Today was my wash day and I had my mother do my hair. After washing and conditioning, she detangle my hair with my K-Cutter in small sections. After she detangled one section, she braided it up. (I noticed my hair would go from wet to damp very quickly. My hair felt really good though). After she did my whole entire head, she would unbraid one section, applied Silk Elements Glossing Polish (as my heat protectant), and run the blowdryer w/ comb attachment through it a few times. Then she would proceed to the next section. Results: My hair was very thick but smooth, soft, and healthy looking. :grin: No dryness at all like I get with airdrying! Right now, my hair is in a wrap.

I was thinking about getting a hair cut, but after doing this, I didn't need one! My ends looked fine to me and my mom. My last trim was March 1st, so I'm gonna wait a couple of months until I get another trim. :yep:

There was little to no breakage from blowdrying. I mainly got breakage when detangling and she told me it was where my relaxed ends were breaking off from the approx. 7 mos. of new growth. I think this was because she didn't wash my hair in sections, she's just washed my hair altogether.

So I plan on doing this every 2-3 weeks depending on how fast my new growth reverts back to it's curly state. This will work for me because it will blend the two textures together so my hair doesn't be more prone to breakage and dryness. At night, I'll just oil my hair and either put it in rollers, wrap it, or just wear a satin cap over my hair loose. My hair easily straightens so I don't have to worry about overusing heat when running the blowdryer through my hair. It's all about the technique. :antlers:

Is there anyone else here that doesn't airdry??? :look:

I tried air drying when I first joined this forum and it did not work for me either, my hair was tangled and it was extremely dry even though I applied my oils. So I no longer wear braid outs. I have found that it is easier for me to keep my hair moisturized when it is straight.

Poohbear I'm shocked too. I dont get how blowdrying worked better than airdrying??? The blowdryer kills my hair!!!!

what a trip, how all of our heads of hair likes different things!!!

Just watch it carefully to see how it does once you start doing it consistently. Then I didnt need to even tell you that, cause i know you will!!!
Poohbear said:
...Airdrying! :shocked:

Yes, airdrying.... it just makes my hair too dry, tangle up and matt together after my hair is completely dry no matter what hairstyle I wear, which is not a good combination when you have natural and relaxed hair that's layered! :( Airdried rollersets work only for the relaxed part of my hair, not my new growth, which eventually made my relaxed ends break and tangle sometimes, so....

Today was my wash day and I had my mother do my hair. After washing and conditioning, she detangle my hair with my K-Cutter in small sections. After she detangled one section, she braided it up. (I noticed my hair would go from wet to damp very quickly. My hair felt really good though). After she did my whole entire head, she would unbraid one section, applied Silk Elements Glossing Polish (as my heat protectant), and run the blowdryer w/ comb attachment through it a few times. Then she would proceed to the next section. Results: My hair was very thick but smooth, soft, and healthy looking. :grin: No dryness at all like I get with airdrying! Right now, my hair is in a wrap.

I was thinking about getting a hair cut, but after doing this, I didn't need one! My ends looked fine to me and my mom. My last trim was March 1st, so I'm gonna wait a couple of months until I get another trim. :yep:

There was little to no breakage from blowdrying. I mainly got breakage when detangling and she told me it was where my relaxed ends were breaking off from the approx. 7 mos. of new growth. I think this was because she didn't wash my hair in sections, she's just washed my hair altogether.

So I plan on doing this every 2-3 weeks depending on how fast my new growth reverts back to it's curly state. This will work for me because it will blend the two textures together so my hair doesn't be more prone to breakage and dryness. At night, I'll just oil my hair and either put it in rollers, wrap it, or just wear a satin cap over my hair loose. My hair easily straightens so I don't have to worry about overusing heat when running the blowdryer through my hair. It's all about the technique. :antlers:

Is there anyone else here that doesn't airdry??? :look:

unlvgirl said:
I tried air drying when I first joined this forum and it did not work for me either, my hair was tangled and it was extremely dry even though I applied my oils. So I no longer wear braid outs. I have found that it is easier for me to keep my hair moisturized when it is straight.
Braidouts killed my hair too.

Buns with a phony pony worked fine but I would have to keep moisturizing and applying gel to my edges almost everyday to make my hair look shiny, moisturized, frizzless, and decent. When I took the bun out, I would have broken hairs where the ponytail was.

So I think this new heat regime will work for me. ;)

Irresistible said:
Poohbear I'm shocked too. I dont get how blowdrying worked better than airdrying??? The blowdryer kills my hair!!!!

what a trip, how all of our heads of hair likes different things!!!

Just watch it carefully to see how it does once you start doing it consistently. Then I didnt need to even tell you that, cause i know you will!!!
Yep, and I never airdried my hair before joining this forum.

With these two different textures, airdrying just hasn't been working for my hair.

I will probably try airdrying once I'm completely natural though. ;)

I guess its making it easier to manage the two different textures at the demarcation point??

long as it works girl, as long as it works!!!

Poohbear said:
Yep, and I never airdried my hair before joining this forum.

With these two different textures, airdrying just hasn't been working for my hair.

I will probably try airdrying once I'm completely natural though. ;)

Yeah, I thought it was only me doing something wrong...
I can only airdry if the roots are pulled as straight as possible...
I see better results when I braid up and let it dry under a dryer...
When it's relaxed it works with the rollers...
I guess everyone's hair really does act differently :look:

I realized that I can airdry within the first 4-5 weeks after a relaxer but after 6 weeks my the two textures are difficult to deal with. I use the blow dryer but on a cool setting to avoid heat damage. It takes longer but prenting the damage is worth it. My hair can easily be damaged by the heat from a blow dryer.

i realized that airdrying and CW just jack my hair up as well. i'll take my blowdryer anyday.

Poohbear, that is exactly what happened to me while I was transitioning :yep:
After awhile airdrying just wasn't working with the two textures. I got too much breakage. Blowdrying made things much easier. I found that using a good heat protectant for blowdrying but not using too much product otherwise helped me get good results that lasted well.
I haven't used heat since I chopped. Airdrying is definitely easier when your hair is all one texture :yep:

Dude, if you're talking about air drying the hair while it's in a pony tail or just out, then no, I don't do that. I only air dry my hair if I'm roller setting. If I leave it out and let it airdry, no matter how much product I put in it, or how smooth I comb it, the finished and dried product will always be this big poofy mass of hair that will not behave no matter what. It's like my hair sees me trying and laughs at me like "No she is not, huh brah?" So I don't even try anymore. My hair is too thick for that. :ohwell:

BlackCardinal said:
Poohbear, that is exactly what happened to me while I was transitioning :yep:
After awhile airdrying just wasn't working with the two textures. I got too much breakage. Blowdrying made things much easier. I found that using a good heat protectant for blowdrying but not using too much product otherwise helped me get good results that lasted well.
I haven't used heat since I chopped. Airdrying is definitely easier when your hair is all one texture :yep:
Yeah, I noticed with airdrying, I had to use more products. And I have fine textured hair and too much products is not good for fine textured hair. With blowdried hair, I don't really have to use anything on my hair. But I will use oil on my hair each night before going to sleep.
I think airdrying would be easier with one texture as well. :yep:

Starian said:
Dude, if you're talking about air drying the hair while it's in a pony tail or just out, then no, I don't do that. I only air dry my hair if I'm roller setting. If I leave it out and let it airdry, no matter how much product I put in it, or how smooth I comb it, the finished and dried product will always be this big poofy mass of hair that will not behave no matter what. It's like my hair sees me trying and laughs at me like "No she is not, huh brah?" So I don't even try anymore. My hair is too thick for that. :ohwell:
Hey Starian, your hair is lookin' nice in your signature! ;)

toinette said:
i realized that airdrying and CW just jack my hair up as well. i'll take my blowdryer anyday.

Same for me. It just didnt worhout for me. My hair felt extra extra hard and matted after airdrying even if I used WGO, nothinghelp it loosen up. But once I put some heat to it, my hair felt much better.
I also noticed that when I was airdrying my hair would shed alot also, I dunno what thats all about.

I agree, Poohbear! My hair hates airdrying! Unfortunately, my hair cannot take constant blow drying either. Sooooo, I can only dry under a hooded dryer. So I have come to realize that rollersets and a hooded dryer are my hair's best friends. It's a trip that all hair is different and reacts in different ways to different tools/methods. :) Congratulations on your hair achievements so far!

I airdry, but with fear.. because that mess can easily cause you major split ends.. but since I use curling irons every now and again as well, I'm trying to avoid the double jeopardy, LOL. I super-lather my ends and wrap them in a little cinnamon bun (I've been calling them that since I was eleven, sue me) and I don't see as much splitting as I used to. You've got such pretty hair, though.. go with what saves it!

I airdry my hair 99 percent of the time. However, I did pull my blow dryer out today. I sat under my hooded dryer (with my satin/silky scarf on) to get my hair to lay down and dry some. Then I went through my hair with my blow dryer because I wanted my hair straight for today (special event to attend). I think using a blow dryer in moderation is ok.

I think airdrying would work for me if...

1. I had FULLY relaxed hair
OR
2. I had FULLY natural hair

With two different textures, airdrying just makes my hair dry and brittle.

Don't worry ladies, I will be using the blowdryer in moderation like I've always had. Before joining this forum when I relaxed regularly, I only used the blowdryer after washing my hair which used to be once a month. With the technique I'll be using to blowdry my hair, the amount of heat applied to my hair will be minimal. I'll just detangle my hair in sections (about 7-8) and unbraid a section at a time and run the blowdryer through my hair maybe 3-5 times on each section.

I think the damage that most ladies get from using a blowdryer is from the following...
1. Running the blowdryer through their ENTIRE hair shaft
2. Not sectioning their hair before blowdrying
3. Overusing the blowdryer on their hair
4. High temperatures

Poohbear said:
I think airdrying would work for me if...

1. I had FULLY relaxed hair
OR
2. I had FULLY natural hair

With two different textures, airdrying just makes my hair dry and brittle.

Don't worry ladies, I will be using the blowdryer in moderation like I've always had. Before joining this forum when I relaxed regularly, I only used the blowdryer after washing my hair which used to be once a month. With the technique I'll be using to blowdry my hair, the amount of heat applied to my hair will be minimal. I'll just detangle my hair in sections (about 7-8) and unbraid a section at a time and run the blowdryer through my hair maybe 3-5 times on each section.

I think the damage that most ladies get from using a blowdryer is from the following...
1. Running the blowdryer through their ENTIRE hair shaft
2. Not sectioning their hair before blowdrying
3. Overusing the blowdryer on their hair
4. High temperatures

Ok Poohbear, it seems as if our hair is responding the same way while transitioning....but I have a question. Are you only going to wash your hair every two weeks now? Are you going to blow dry once a month or 2 or more times a month? Are you going to use any other type of heat too? What heat temperature? What products are you going to use? I am sorry for so many questions it is just that your airdrying/blowdrying post hit so close to home for me.

sharee said:
Ok Poohbear, it seems as if our hair is responding the same way while transitioning....but I have a question. Are you only going to wash your hair every two weeks now? Are you going to blow dry once a month or 2 or more times a month? Are you going to use any other type of heat too? What heat temperature? What products are you going to use? I am sorry for so many questions it is just that your airdrying/blowdrying post hit so close to home for me.
It's funny you asked these questions because I've been thinking about some of these same questions myself. :grin:

Anyway, I plan on washing and blowdrying my hair every 2 weeks for right now. I will not be using any other type of heat during the weeks.
I'll shampoo with ElastaQP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
I'll condition with Suave Professionals Humectant
I'll moisturize with ElastaQP Penetrating Moisturizer
Detangle, section, and braid hair...let it dry for a few minutes
Then blowdry each section one by one using Silk Elements Glossing Polish as my heat protectant. ;)

Here are other ideas I've been thinking about...

1. Wash and blowdry every 3-4 weeks... wear my hair out for 2 weeks and wear a wig for 1-2 weeks before washing and blowdrying my hair again (less manipulation and heat usage during the month).
OR​
2. After I detangle, section, and braid my hair before blowdrying...instead of blowdrying the sections, I was thinking about using my Maxiglide over each section. I haven't opened or used my Maxiglide yet, but I will use whatever the middle temperature is (just to try something different besides using the blowdryer).

Hope that helps!!! :)

Thanks. That helps a lot!!!! It seems that troughout my transition everytime I have a question or issue all I have to do is look out for your posts because you usally ask the same things I was thinking and sometimes our hair responds the same way (airdrying, buns, baggie...etc). I really enjoy your posts. Thanks again.

sharee said:
Thanks. That helps a lot!!!! It seems that troughout my transition everytime I have a question or issue all I have to do is look out for your posts because you usally ask the same things I was thinking and sometimes our hair responds the same way (airdrying, buns, baggie...etc). I really enjoy your posts. Thanks again.
Interesting! :) I sometimes felt like I was alone with having problems with airdrying and styling...then come to find out, a few others feel the same way. But it's good to try different things on your hair to see what works for you hair. Now, I'm glad I finally found what works for my hair.

Best wishes to you and your hair...hair twin!!! :grin: Don't worry...We're gonna be armpit length then brastrap length in no time!!! :yay:

I am SO glad that I found out what works for my hair and stopped trying to do what works for others! Just to give a lil update, I have experienced NO BREAKAGE whatsoever!!! I've been oiling and wrapping my hair each night. My hair is strong and I love the thickness and length. I might go back on the no trim challenge for a while. Airdrying made me wanna cut my hair short.
I can't wait 'til this summer to see how much longer my hair will be. I am just so excited about my hair y'all. I can transition to natural to meet my long term goal and still reach my short term goal of having brastrap length hair!!! This is great! You live and you learn. I love this hair board!!! :kiss:

Im glad you found out what was giving you problems...

I have mixed feelings about airdrying...I agree if I am rollersetting...Ill airdry....

if my hair is in braids i will airdry...

but NEVER do i airdry with my hair just loose...it will never work..my hair hates it...

I was airdrying my hair loose and NEVER got the results that I would see from others on the board. Then I started using Elucence MB as a leave in and since I had a jar of organic coconut oil in my drawer, I started that again. My loose hair airdried very soft. This past weekend, I airdried with the above and silk elixir. I was able to get my newgrowth (10 weeks post) straight by periodically using my denman through the airdrying process, with no heat at all. I'm going to see if I can duplicate that on my next wash!

angellazette said:
I was airdrying my hair loose and NEVER got the results that I would see from others on the board. Then I started using Elucence MB as a leave in and since I had a jar of organic coconut oil in my drawer, I started that again. My loose hair airdried very soft. This past weekend, I airdried with the above and silk elixir. I was able to get my newgrowth (10 weeks post) straight by periodically using my denman through the airdrying process, with no heat at all. I'm going to see if I can duplicate that on my next wash!
Yeah, I think using the right products in your hair have something to do with airdrying as well. Glad airdrying worked for ya'! ;)

Yeah this is my problem now since the weather broke here in DC last week. I was conditioning washing/ washing my hair everyday then airdrying. That kept me well moisturized. But as soon as I went 2-3 days without washing, my hair turned into a airdried, hot, hard, breaking mess can you think brillo pad. I didn't know what was up oh well I relax on Friday so I will back to my method of washing every four days and rollersetting.

I have similar problem. When I sit under the dryer, my curls are silky and smooth. They're not as smooth when I air dry. But, I'm still trying to get a hair regimen that works for me...

BTW Poohbear, I think you hair looks great! I've been checking out your pics since I've joined.

Honestly, I agree Poohbear. I am trying to go 3 months before rrlaxing and at this point airdrying is not working. So, I used the blowdryer last wash with great results. mY whole thing is to do a protein treatment, moisturizing conditioner and heat protectant. This helps bc the roots are out of control at this point, but I am stretching!!!

Back