I find co washing to be disgusting? But am I doing it wrong?

thanks for all of your help. the water conditioner water thing helped my hair feel much better. i'm in my eighth week after a relaxer and am trying to decide if i will stretch or not. my new growth is behaving and my shedding has stopped. I'll keep this up until i feel like it's not working.

again, thanks a bunch.

I have an oily scalp but since my coils are so tight my hair still needs the extra moisure. So I rinse my scalp with warm water for about 5-10 mins before applying the conditioner. That gets all the gunk out from the previous day and keeps my hair from being weighed down.

Luscious Locks - I used to find it gross and disgusting in the beginning too. I found it difficult to co-wash with relaxed hair (I'm natural now) and I gave it up after 1 week. Later on I discovered that I had to give it some time before seeing the results. I'm glad to see you didn't give up on it.

By the way, sometimes I will take a handful of Suave Conditioner and if I feel like I "need" to shampoo I just add squirt of shampoo in my conditioner. I also stay under the shower for a good 5 minutes before I do anything. It relieves stress and I feel like any product overload is going down the drain.

I last washed my hair with african Black Soap (my 'shampoo' of choice, customised for my hair needs) over a month ago when I took out kinky twists. Other than the occassional 'poo, I only ever co-wash. I do this everytime I DC which is 3x/wk, and my hair and scalp are both squeaky clean after a wash - no build-up at all. I apply stuff to hair and scalp daily too, oil included and no problems. I've customised my routine to suit me and I'm still customising, as I learn and incorporate new things, like ayurvedic practices.

I think you need to find a routine that suits you. I rarely use condish straight out of a bottle - I dilute a dollop in a spray bottle with either water, oat milk or herbal/ayurvedic waters and teas and spray it on - makes the condish last and it saturates my hair so well I have some left over for a rinse or for the next wash. If my hair's pretty dirty, I see the dirt washing away too - it works! But then again, as someone said, perhaps it just isn't for you. Try adding sodabic, maybe that'll help with the transition from shampooing.

Also, it's easy for people to think the stripped feel of hair after shampooing is clean, so anything gentler that doesn't strip as much makes peeps think their hair isn't clean when in fact it is. Try phasing the 'poo out gradually if you want to stop using it.......

Back