I finally understand the No Poo or Pre Poo!!

BlkOnyx488

Ok I know this is a subject well covered but I never really understood the no shampoo thing until I read this....

"the whole no-poo thing has to do with the sodium or ammonium laurel sulfate.........this ingredient is also used in toothpaste, some lotions, dish washing liquids and detergents.....it really acts as a foaming agent, it produces the suds when you're washing your hair. Truth be told SLS is not harmful to everybody's hair, just particularly harmful to "our" hair. It cleans your scalp and hair really good but for people of color it can be a nightmare because it strips all of the moisture from your hair........and since "our" hair is already more dry than the average person we have to do the before poo regimens or the deep conditioning treatments more often just to try and retain what little moisture we had. I've honestly found it easier to keep my hair softer and more manageable without so much excess build up because I've cut the shampoo out. I would say cutting shampoo out has made the difference between my needing to add oils daily to my scalp for moisture to now just adding it to my ends daily and my scalp every few days. I understand that its not for everyone but I always say it's worth a try. "

This post is for newbies and anyone who like me missed on the other post about why to pre-poo

I thought pre poo was a treatment done right b4 shampooing hair ? I prepoo with conditioner and a oil mix pre-shampooing.....

No poo and Pre poo are different

Last edited:
I thought pre poo was a treatment done right b4 shampooing hair ? I prepoo with conditioner and a oil mix pre-shampooing.....

co-signing. I pre-poo my hair before I poo with a mixture of oil and conditioner. I have yet to go completely no poo though...although I real want to.

I pre treat (no need in calling it pre poo since I do not use shampoo) and co wash exclusively. I pre treat with grapeseed oil (basically hot oil treatment) everyother week and with 2 whole eggs/ 1/2 cup of grapeseed oil on the opposite weeks. I find that this keeps my protein/moisture balance in check. Not using shampoo has been the best thing for my hair, I use to battle with dryness, tangles and matting now thats a thing of the past.

DITTO. this is exactly what a pre-poo (or pre treatment) is. no poo is exactly that no-"poo" no suds, no-nothing that strips the natural oils from hair.

maybe the OP can clear up what she meant. but the post is helpful.

I think the OP meant that either pre-poo'ing or not using shampoo at all will keep your hair from getting dried out. Some people forego using shampoo to do this, but others don't want to give up shampoo, so they just pre-poo.

So in order to keep your hair from being "stripped" during your washings, you could either go with "No Poo or Pre Poo".

I totally agree with this for 4a/b hair. Our hair is so dry to begin with, so why strip it of what little oil it has every time we wash it? I stopped using shampoo--I now use baking soda to cleanse my hair. Now when I wash my hair, I never have tangles. I'd recommend this to any 4a/b head.

:look:I meant that I understand both procedures pre-poo and no poo based on what I posted. Sorry if that confuses everyone:look:
DITTO. this is exactly what a pre-poo (or pre treatment) is. no poo is exactly that no-"poo" no suds, no-nothing that strips the natural oils from hair.

maybe the OP can clear up what she meant. but the post is helpful.

Do you just mix the baking soda with water?
I am 4a as well
I think the OP meant that either pre-poo'ing or not using shampoo at all will keep your hair from getting dried out. Some people forego using shampoo to do this, but others don't want to give up shampoo, so they just pre-poo.

So in order to keep your hair from being "stripped" during your washings, you could either go with "No Poo or Pre Poo".

I totally agree with this for 4a/b hair. Our hair is so dry to begin with, so why strip it of what little oil it has every time we wash it? I stopped using shampoo--I now use baking soda to cleanse my hair. Now when I wash my hair, I never have tangles. I'd recommend this to any 4a/b head.

co-signing. I pre-poo my hair before I poo with a mixture of oil and conditioner. I have yet to go completely no poo though...although I real want to.

I tried the no poo and it wasn't for me. My scalp was itching like crazy! :blush:LOL. So I went back to poo but a SLS free one and my hair no longer feels "stripped" of it's moisture and natural oils when I shampoo. :yep:!

Yep. Sometimes I'll add a little conditioner to my hair while the bk&water mixture is on my hair. But it's the baking soda that really detangles. Just don't use more than 1 tablespoon per 8oz of water.

This link has some helpful tips for going shampoo free.
http://www.natural-forces.com/essays/poofree.htm#bad

Wow! I never thought to use baking soda to wash my hair with. I may have to at least give it a try! :yep:

Back