I Feel Ripped Off!

bollyhair

I finally got my hair relaxed (after 11 weeks) this afternoon! I had a 4:30 appt. at the JC Penny styling salon and this was the first time that I'd been there (referred by a friend who goes to the stylist). Anyway, the stylist was ok personality wise, ALTHOUGH she never even asked me my name the entire time I was there (3 hrs)!
scratchchin.gif
huh.gif
So she relaxed my hair w/ AFFIRM (lye), set me w/ the hard rollers, sat me under the dryer, unrolled then wrapped the hair, set me back under the dryer, and then combed me out. It looked pretty good- I had brought my Salerm and had her put somein my hair along w/ whatever else she was putting in before rolling it, and I had alot of body. But my hair looked kinda dry,..even AFTER several hits from the oil sheen can. I would guess that my hair is only about 85% relaxed, which is fine w/ me, but HERE's WHERE I HAVE A PROBLEM!

As I was taking out my money to pay, she told me the total price was $52. That doesn't sound that bad, but when I had called a couple days ago to price the relaxer I was quoted $55. Plus, JC PENNY'S relaxers are 20% off in the month of JULY so I'd planned on paying $44. When I then said, "I thought the relaxers are 20% off this month?", she responded by saying, "They are. The relaxers are $65." Now, I knew I wasn't crazy and I knew what I was told over the phone so I said, "When I called the other day, I was told the relaxers are $55", to which she replied, "But I'm a 'MASTER STYLIST' so my relaxers are $65!"
huh.gif
huh.gif
What tha? Anyone ever heard of that? I STILL haven't gotten that digital camera yet, but ladies I can assure you,...I certainly didn't walk out of there with a MASTER HAIRSTYLE!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
What she did was OKAY,...DECENT at best, so this "MASTER STYLIST" crap really had me hot!
mad.gif
I mean, when I called on the phone to price the relaxer I was quoted $55, and then I asked to make an appointment w/ "TONYA". (Names have been changed to protect the innocent). Now shouldn't I have been told, "Oh, TONYA's a MASTER STYLIST. Her relaxers are $65" or something to that nature? I think that I was just overcharged because since the relaxers are 20% off this month, the stylist just upped the price. What do ya'll think?

BTW, I tiipped her $6 and that made me even more upset.
swearing.gif

Yes, all or most JC Penny's have different levels of stylists and the master stylists are more expensive, because you are supposedly paying for their knowledge and years of experience.
ohwell.gif

She probably assumed that you were already aware, since you asked for her name specifically.
smirk.gif

I went to a so called master stylist also she was ok at first but then after a while she started trying to give me these fancy hairstyles which I don't like cause I'm a plain Jane. Then she started trying to pressure me into getting a relaxer every 5 weeks. I finally stopped going.

Well then you should've gone to my "master stylist" because you ABSOLUTELY WOULD'VE gotten a plain jane hairstyle. I also am a no-fuss kind of gal, but I swear,...after she unwrapped my hair, she combed it all back and then "pushed" it forward w/ her hands and the comb (remember our mothers doing this to us BACK IN THE DAY?). I was like, "What tha?"
whyme.gif

If you felt like you been ripped off, you should not have tipped her.You paid her $65 which was for her services of relaxing your hair. And then, being that your hair did not come out to what you desired it to be, You definitely should not have tipped her.

laugh.gif
I've been gotten like this soooo many times & I always hate my hair when I leave. I always leave my hair stuff in the car, b/c I know I will not go to my next destination looking crazy! I had this one chick, who I really loved, but everytime I went it was a different price. One time she charged me $65 for a blow-dry and curl. The visit before was $10 less for the SAME service. I guess I've just gotten used to being abused by stylists. Whenever I MUST go I just take 2 $50's just to be safe. I'm never sure what they will really charge b/c once they see my hair it all changes.

I thought if you were rollerset that was cheaper anyway? And you are absolutely right, you should be told that a 'master' charges more
ohwell.gif
. Maybe you should call to make a formal complaint w/the manager. I agree w/witholding the tip, but I never have the nerve. I'm just less generous, they get no more than $5 if I'm dissatisfied.

That's why I stopped going to JCPenney. I love DB relaxer but the salon tacks on too many extra charges for every service AND they want a tip. With those prices, I really don't see why they should be tipped at all.

well the "master stylist" at jcpenney gave me a nice bald spot in the back of my head....it's growing back now with the help of a real master stylist....so my jcpenney days are over unfortunately

I wasn't going to mention it, but oh well...
look.gif

I too had a bad experience with JC Penney's in the past. I politely paid but called and complained the next day. The manager was very nice. She credited my credit card and sent me a letter of apology, as well as a free Kera Care "travel size" shampoo/conditioner kit.
smile.gif

I thought that was very nice, since that crazy lady, tangled my hair like a bird's nest.
angry2.gif
I went in for a simple "wash-n-set". Nothing major!
ohwell.gif

A similar thing happened to me at Ulta the first time I went. I went back b/c I kinda liked the stylist and I was desperate(I'm tired of "experimenting" with stylists). Well the last time I went, my usual stylist was on vacation. The stand-in charged me an extra $40 for a cut and blow dry. When I went back the next day the "receptionist" (? if that is what she was) said that's what that particular stylist charges for that service. I was confused b/c if I got a relaxer, how else (besides rollersetting) would I get my hair dried? She just kept repeating herself. Obviously she didn't know what she was talking about. I told her I didn't even get a cut, I got a trim. She just shrugged her shoulders as if she didn't know what else to say. Needless to say, I won't be going back there again.
mad.gif
mad.gif
Why is it so hard to find a good professional stylist without breaking the *&%#? bank? UGHHHHHHHH!

Girl you got ripped off!! There is nothing wrong with being a "MASTER STYLIST", but they were wrong for "ASS-uming" that you was aware of the prices and policies. And to top it off she didn't give you a "MASTER" style. Well, I have been through the same experience. You just have to keep searching for that "right" stylist which just might turn out being yourself.

I'm glad I stopped going to jc penneys. I had this lady doing my hair and everytime I went to her my hair was breaking off. She blamed it on stress, and wasn't stressed out about anything. I was paying $65 just to have my hair break off.

But you stated that when you pulled out your money to pay, that she told you the total price was $52. I mean, it's fine if she charges more because she's a master stylist, but the $65 should have been the first and only price she qouted when you were about to pay. Am I right or did I mix things up?

i went to jc pennys once for a relaxer i must have gotten the haven't mastered ish stylist cause my step dad was like i though you were supposed to get your hair done!!! anyways i have learned to speak up. i ask b4 my service and then say over the phone they said xyz.... or if the price changed from my regular stylist i would be like ok last time it was $xyz and she would say oh ok and i would pay the lesser prics. sometimes she would pull the "deep conditioner bit" but everything in NY was overpriced. i think the most i ever paid was $85 perm, molding, cut

Back