I feel like crying

yes and yes....... it's quite possible that she didn't rinse it off properly..... I remember having to fix myself a couple times because i couldn't feel the water getting to my nape. At the time I already had breakage back there but it has since gotten worse.

That sounds like the cause of the increased breakage . .that can REALLY cause severe damage. Relaxers are nothing to play with.

I don't know if you're going to read this,
IT'S YOUR RELAXER.

if you're relaxed, it's the relaxer that's breaking off the nape of your hair.
Same thing happened to me and my mom...
the longer our hair grows, the more relaxer will break the hair in back because it's a different texture.

Stop getting that area relaxed, and it'll grow back long and luscious. I promise.
you can keep that area braided up and moisturized,
my mom would sew in her own track of hair in that area, just to have the length.

hth

I was going to say stop getting that area relaxed but i see other ppl have said it already:grin:

I think its the relaxer+not enough moisture+friction!

:bighug:

Sorry to hear this Val. The others have given great advice. I had several nape setbacks last year but I ever since I started the Nape Challenge, I started learning more about my nape. I realized that my nape is a different texture (4z) than the rest of my hair but it's fragile. I also found out that my nape loves protein. So, for the last few months, I've been using Surge 14 and Worlds of Curls moisturizer 1-2 times a day everyday. I'm thinking you may need to moisturize more than once a week. I'm not sure if you can still find Surge so you may want to try a light protein in that area (don't forget to follow up with a moisturizer). You may want to try sealing with castor oil to help lock in moisture and help with growth,

Sorry for the rambling... Hope this helps!

:bighug:

Sorry to hear this Val. The others have given great advice. I had several nape setbacks last year but I ever since I started the Nape Challenge, I started learning more about my nape. I realized that my nape is a different texture (4z) than the rest of my hair but it's fragile. I also found out that my nape loves protein. So, for the last few months, I've been using Surge 14 and Worlds of Curls moisturizer 1-2 times a day everyday. I'm thinking you may need to moisturize more than once a week. I'm not sure if you can still find Surge so you may want to try a light protein in that area (don't forget to follow up with a moisturizer). You may want to try sealing with castor oil to help lock in moisture and help with growth,

Sorry for the rambling... Hope this helps!
thanks for the advice.....give me some examples of a light protein that I can go buy

When I was having nape problems I started using ORS carrot oil - it helped alot - in fact I'm going start using it again, as soon as my shipment comes in.

Also, if you wear your hair out - braid the nape part up (going across).

Last edited:
this is my hair now

I started using this thickening lotion on clean damp hair, once a week and I see that my hair has regained some thickness. Also since my last trim it's been acting and looking better.

Is just that dratted nape:wallbash:

Attachments

• CIMG3947.jpg
    CIMG3947.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1
All the ladies have given wonderful advice and I don't have anything to add other than :bighug:I hope your nape issue gets resolved soon.

Try gently massaging with coconut or JBCO and also keep that area moisterized - you dont have to moisterzie your entire head if your worried about weighing down just that area. That's what's helping my area especially since it gets crispy about 8 weeks post!:blush:

Try gently massaging with coconut or JBCO and also keep that area moisterized - you dont have to moisterzie your entire head if your worried about weighing down just that area. That's what's helping my area especially since it gets crispy about 8 weeks post!:blush:
lol@ crispy :grin:

Val you are not alone...I feel your pain so deep right now, its not even funny. Like you I suffered severe breakage to my nape back in February. I do not use heat and have not for over a year.

When I started LHCF last march I had severe nape damage, for some strange reason it always occurs around February(Things that make you go hmmm)...This has happened 2007,2008, and 2009...First it starting feeling sort of thin and I ignored it thinking that it had something to do with my stretch. Well, weeks later it was clearly breaking and thinning even more. About 3 weeks ago I just cut my losses and cut off the few wisps of hair off.I have a big block of nappy taco meat now from mid-ear on down and I have also started to use Nioxin. I'm chalking it up to being relaxed and decided that I'm gonna try to transition.Very scary but I need this to quit happening to me.

I honestly feel as though there is something seriously wrong with that area of my head and I don't have a resolution except for prayer and Nioxin. Hoping it works.

I wish you the best on the re-growth of your nape.:yawn:

Raloftin :hug2:

It has to be chemical or mechanical. Have you gone to a dermatologist or doctor lately and had it checked out? Stay the course and please keep us posted. :yep: Now that you've started to narrow down the possibilities, you're hair will recover.

I didn't have nape damage per se, but it took 2 years for my hair to recover from my issue, 'cause I had to learn to do things differently.

Val, if it is a stress response, a B complex should help with it.

Otherwise, could it be a particular medication or supplement you've been taking? It sounds like you've been taking care of the area, so I'm having hard time believing it could be due to manipulation or mechanical damage.

yes and yes....... it's quite possible that she didn't rinse it off properly..... I remember having to fix myself a couple times because i couldn't feel the water getting to my nape. At the time I already had breakage back there but it has since gotten worse.

Okay, well then you need to really stay on top of keeping this hair moisturized as well as making sure its getting sufficient protein ( I like nexxus emergencee). I would also massage this area nightly with your favorite oil after you moisturize. I would not tie tight scarfs around your nape for a while. I would also stay clear from brushing this area, I would only finger comb the hairs until the area shows some improvement.

Next time you get a touch up make sure that these hairs are protected from run off by applying a protein condish on them.

Your hair is gorgeous...and your nape will be back to 100% in no time!!!

Are you wearing those half wigs with the combs? That broke off my nape very badly so I stopped wearing them. Too much stress on the nape.

Val you are not alone...I feel your pain so deep right now, its not even funny. Like you I suffered severe breakage to my nape back in February. I do not use heat and have not for over a year.

When I started LHCF last march I had severe nape damage, for some strange reason it always occurs around February(Things that make you go hmmm)...This has happened 2007,2008, and 2009...First it starting feeling sort of thin and I ignored it thinking that it had something to do with my stretch. Well, weeks later it was clearly breaking and thinning even more. About 3 weeks ago I just cut my losses and cut off the few wisps of hair off.I have a big block of nappy taco meat now from mid-ear on down and I have also started to use Nioxin. I'm chalking it up to being relaxed and decided that I'm gonna try to transition.Very scary but I need this to quit happening to me.

I honestly feel as though there is something seriously wrong with that area of my head and I don't have a resolution except for prayer and Nioxin. Hoping it works.

I wish you the best on the re-growth of your nape.:yawn:
it's funny that you say that. I've been relaxed since I was 12 and although I didn't take care of my hair and it pretty much stayed 1 length for years, I never had nape damage. The first time I had nape damage was in 2006 and it pretty much started off just like it did this time; on the left side, then moved to the right then up. I started transitioning after that with braids. After 6 months my nape had grown in and I did a BC.

Back then I thought the culprit was some blonde streaks I put in. I also dyed my hair black last fall so I wonder if that may have a part to play too....
Val, if it is a stress response, a B complex should help with it.

Otherwise, could it be a particular medication or supplement you've been taking? It sounds like you've been taking care of the area, so I'm having hard time believing it could be due to manipulation or mechanical damage.
I'm not really taking supplements....although I should.... I start off well then stop.
Okay, well then you need to really stay on top of keeping this hair moisturized as well as making sure its getting sufficient protein ( I like nexxus emergencee). I would also massage this area nightly with your favorite oil after you moisturize. I would not tie tight scarfs around your nape for a while. I would also stay clear from brushing this area, I would only finger comb the hairs until the area shows some improvement.

Next time you get a touch up make sure that these hairs are protected from run off by applying a protein condish on them.

Your hair is gorgeous...and your nape will be back to 100% in no time!!!
I will go get some of that emergencee. I use a paddle brush only when I'm wrapping my hair
Are you wearing those half wigs with the combs? That broke off my nape very badly so I stopped wearing them. Too much stress on the nape.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but do you all remember someone who posted a nape growing trick of cornrowing it underneath there, so that it's "protected" while she wore the rest of her hair down? It seemed to work for her. I keep thinking it was Mook's Hair but maybe not.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but do you all remember someone who posted a nape growing trick of cornrowing it underneath there, so that it's "protected" while she wore the rest of her hair down? It seemed to work for her. I keep thinking it was Mook's Hair but maybe not.
yes someone mentioned it and I remember the thread she made

the back is extra short but I just tried and I was able to put 2 2-strand cornrows back there.

too much protein. clarify and use an oily moisturizer like ORS oil moisturizer....don't give up...its just dry and breaking. massage the oil in like its a relaxer

too much protein. clarify and use an oily moisturizer like ORS oil moisturizer....don't give up...its just dry and breaking. massage the oil in like its a relaxer
so the ors oil oil moisturizer I have is fine?
should I ease off on adding more protein to my hair since my diet is high protein?

I have had a damaged nape for about a year. Nothing I did made it grow. Not the MN mix, MTG, or MT.

Finally I stopped applying so much protein and am doing moisture overloading. I have a mix that I spray on my nape every night.

In the mix is

Paul Mitchell - The Conditioner
Mane and Tail Conditioner
Vo5 - Strawberries and Cream Conditioner
Glycerin
EVOO and
Water

I don't know the ratio.

Finally over these past four months I have acutal growth. Now I can get braids back there when in Jan I couldn't even get micros in that area.

I remembered something else -

When I was relaxed I always thought my nape was the roughest section of my hair and figured that it needed the most time to straighten. Turns out, my nape is actually one of the softest sections texture wise, and takes very little to straighten so for years I started my relaxer at the nape the way they showed in the instructions and my nape continues to be dry, rough, and breaking.

Once I started doing my relaxer from the crown down, it started to improve. (My Crown is where I get the most growth).

What helped my nape was sulfur 8 and castor oil when I was last relaxed. In fact, castor oil and sulfur 8 all over my relaxed not only made my hair grow, it made it more healthy all over.:yep:

Raloftin :hug2:

It has to be chemical or mechanical. Have you gone to a dermatologist or doctor lately and had it checked out? Stay the course and please keep us posted. :yep: Now that you've started to narrow down the possibilities, you're hair will recover.

I didn't have nape damage per se, but it took 2 years for my hair to recover from my issue, 'cause I had to learn to do things differently.

I think it's chemical...I hardly do a lot of manipulation...I'm gonna follow Val and try to up the moisture and stick with Nioxin for a few months as well and see how it goes. If for some reason no progress is made, I will break down and see the dermatologist...

Thank you and I will keep you posted.:yep:

my bad if someone already asked this, but when you sleep does your hair have elastic, like a sleep cap? Or do you wear half wigs that have teeth? My sister hair is broken in the back because of the teeth of her wig..

my nape broke off bad and started balding. I started using dr.miracles and it stopped balding but still wasn't growing, but then i started washing and deep conditioning and just began my healthy hair journey and it is growing now.

I really don't know what made it break off so bad, but i guess my nape and the middle of my head broke off because those are just sensitive areas, it's just an indication that you're doing something that your hair doesn't like. I would recommend a growth aide.

Back