I dont want to start nuthin, but...

I personally love Cantu - shea butter daily moisturizer. It is the only moisturizer that leaves me and my daughters hair well moisturized. It has no water in it.
ITA!!!!!!:yep: It is wonderful I started a thread about this because I couldn't believe how moisturizing it was with no water in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Butters sans water

Will you ladies start listing here, the name of your fav butters. Simply do a cut n paste with the name to keep it simple for folk like me, i.e.,

1) Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream (thanks Naija)
2) Jane Carter Nourish & Shine (thanks Charm)
3) Anita Grant (thanks Felicia)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Last edited:
I think it has a lot to do with how different people use the word "moisturizer". Some people use it in a very technical sense, so anything that is not water or a humectant cannot be a moisturizer. Under this definition it is literally impossible for something that neither contains water nor brings water to the hair to be a "moisturizer" because "moisture" = water. For other people "moisturizer" simply means something that makes their hair feel soft or feel good, kind of the way it feels when it's a little moist. Under this definition all kinds of things can be called a "moisturizer", whatever works for the individual.

From everything that I have every read when you moisturize something you are keeping it from drying out. Butters can keep your hair from drying out, hence you are moisturizing. Also the great thing about butters is that they condition as well as moisturize, which is something that water alone cannot do.

One definition of moisturizer I found was: "a cosmetic cream or lotion used to make the skin, especially on the face, feel less dry"

By this definition, the feeling of less dry means moisturized!

I would like to give these butters a try in the near future....However, I have fine strands so will these butters weigh my hair down?

I use both (I think). I'm assuming s-curl is water-based. Anyway, I layer s-curl, followed by a creamy (buttery) leave-in, then seal with an oil. That combination always makes my hair feel wonderful.

That's exactly what I do. :yep: It really helps keep splits at bay too.

One definition of moisturizer I found was: "a cosmetic cream or lotion used to make the skin, especially on the face, feel less dry"
Once you start talking about "creams" and "lotions", then you're talking about water. The first ingredient is usually "aqua", i.e. water.

I agree with mwedzi. It's all depends on how you define the word "moisturise". *Technically*, nothing can moisturise that doesn't have water in it. However, what works best to "seal" in the moisture once it's there (e.g. after wetting and/or using a moisture based leave-in) might be an oil, a light butter, a heavy butter, an oily leave-in, whatever. It all depends on the person.

For me, if I were to just get my hair wet, and then just oil or butter it, it would be crispy in no time. So I need something creamy-ish / humectant in between to kind of plump the hair up (don't know any other way describe it), then the oil goes on top. (Or I just do the oil / humectant in one step with one product).

I'm thinking that a lot of natural butters like shea, in their raw form contain some amount of water.

Also maybe different individuals' hair (depending on the texture and style being worn) don't need so much "moisture", but really needs lubrication more than anything else, which of course oils and butters do very well.

I use Cantu and Elasta QP Mango Butter, but I've always considered these to be water based since water is the first ingredient. Is that not how it works???? :spinning: :ohwell:

Anyway, all my moisturizers, leave-ins or whatever I put on my hair after shampooing or conditioning have water listed as the first ingredient. I used to wonder why my hair was always thirsty, but then I read a tip somewhere that said to wet hair or dampen it before using these moisturizers if the hair seems to lose its moisture or get dryer, and it worked really well for me. :)

So if my hair is in a bun or twist, I have the ends wet (or re-wet them) before moisturizing, and if my hair is in a style that will be ruined by it getting wet, I use my reaaaaaally light sweet smelling oil sheen :)lick:) to help keep the moisture sealed in from my last wash until I wash my hair.

Once you start talking about "creams" and "lotions", then you're talking about water. The first ingredient is usually "aqua", i.e. water.

I agree with mwedzi. It's all depends on how you define the word "moisturise". *Technically*, nothing can moisturise that doesn't have water in it. However, what works best to "seal" in the moisture once it's there (e.g. after wetting and/or using a moisture based leave-in) might be an oil, a light butter, a heavy butter, an oily leave-in, whatever. It all depends on the person.

For me, if I were to just get my hair wet, and then just oil or butter it, it would be crispy in no time. So I need something creamy-ish / humectant in between to kind of plump the hair up (don't know any other way describe it), then the oil goes on top. (Or I just do the oil / humectant in one step with one product).

I'm thinking that a lot of natural butters like shea, in their raw form contain some amount of water.

Also maybe different individuals' hair (depending on the texture and style being worn) don't need so much "moisture", but really needs lubrication more than anything else, which of course oils and butters do very well.

I have plenty of creams that do not have water as the 1st or 2nd ingredient. And I cant use lotion as a moisturizer on my body because it always leaves me dry!

Many natural oils and butters are listed and described by how well they moisturize or if they are moisturize at all. I guess it's a difference of opinion that will never be agreed upon on this forum. However, for me and my hair water is not, nor has never been a adequate moisturizer.

:lick:
I use Cantu and Elasta QP Mango Butter, but I've always considered these to be water based since water is the first ingredient. Is that not how it works???? :spinning: :ohwell:

Anyway, all my moisturizers, leave-ins or whatever I put on my hair after shampooing or conditioning have water listed as the first ingredient. I used to wonder why my hair was always thirsty, but then I read a tip somewhere that said to wet hair or dampen it before using these moisturizers if the hair seems to lose its moisture or get dryer, and it worked really well for me. :)

So if my hair is in a bun or twist, I have the ends wet (or re-wet them) before moisturizing, and if my hair is in a style that will be ruined by it getting wet, I use my reaaaaaally light sweet smelling oil sheen ( to help keep the moisture sealed in from my last wash until I wash my hair.
Miamori, the cantu shea butter leave-in has water in it but the cantu shea butter oil moisturizer has no water in it and it is divine!!!!!!!!!:lick:

Last edited:

4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
LovinLocks, don't forget the Cantu shea butter oil daily moisturizer!!!!!!!:lick:This product has no water while the leave-in has very little water.

Butter tends to work on my freshly relaxed hair or in cities where the air is always moist. In SoFla or if I've stretched for a while, I gotta have my water-based moisture (minus cones).For great butter based moisturizers, Cantu Oil Moisturizer is great and Qhemet Biologics. I also love the Seyani Hair butter on my roots, but not so much on the length of my hair. Detanglers are my BFFs.

Only on dry hair, I love Qhemet Biologic's Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm, it really makes my dry hair soft w/o making my style fuzzy.

Just my two cents...I use shea butter, castor oil and coconut oil. All of these things use water to grow and consist of water naturally. I don't believe anything living can survive without water. These oils come from plant source which needs what to grow???

I just purchased Kid's Organics Shea Butter Lotion, I hope it can tame the desert on my head. Elasta QP Mango butter did not work on my hair, my hair drank that up quick.

Just my two cents...I use shea butter, castor oil and coconut oil. All of these things use water to grow and consist of water naturally. I don't believe anything living can survive without water. These oils come from plant source which needs what to grow???

Naturalgurl, interesting thoughts. I personally don't notice a hyge difference between using a water-based moisturizer and using a butter or oil. But, as you put it, all plant, nut, or fruit based oils/butters needed water to grow and so they may contain some hydro element even in the form we use them in.

Made me think:look:

LovinLocks, don't forget the Cantu shea butter oil daily moisturizer!!!!!!!:lick:This product has no water while the leave-in has very little water.

4) Cantu shea butter oil daily moisturizer (thanks Nai)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Adding to the list.

You know what, by golly, it's official-I'm gonna make me some stuff. I had joined a soaper's swap where they are making a leave-in conditioner. Well, I dropped after researching and finding out there are a gazillion on the market. But, now, after reading here, and going out on the net and looking at some of the prices of these butter products listed here-geez oh man. A sistah only working part-time, ya know.

I'm gonna formulate a leave-in butter-based moisturizing product for my hair. It'll be fun. From what I've seen thus far my product will incorporate cupuacu butter and vegetable glycerin. On I read.

Thanks, ladies. You're the bomb!

Oh, and I've been thinking about a name for it. What do you think about Asante Sana. With "Your hair will thank you" as the by-line. I'm feelin' dis, yaw'll.

LL

Last edited:
You know what, by golly, it's official-I'm gonna make me some stuff. I had joined a soaper's swap where they are making a leave-in conditioner. Well, I dropped after researching and finding out there are a gazillion on the market. But, now, after reading here, and going out on the net and looking at some of the prices of these butter products listed here-geez oh man. A sistah only working part-time, ya know.

I'm gonna formulate a leave-in butter-based moisturizing product for my hair. It'll be fun. From what I've seen thus far my product will incorporate cupuacu butter and vegetable glycerin. On I read.

Thanks, ladies. You're the bomb!

Oh, and I've been thinking about a name for it. What do you think about Asante Sana. With "Your hair will thank you" as the by-line. I'm feelin' dis, yaw'll.

LL
Yea girl, go for it. Don't forget your inspirations so we can get first dibs on your new product!!!!:grin:

If I'm wearing my hair out, rollerset,etc I will use oil based moisturizer. If I'm wearing my hair in a bun or ponytail or stretching, I'll use a water based.

I'm so happy you posted it. m My hair was moisturized (it felt cool) but around my roots weren't that moisturized. i used my jane carter nourish and shine last night and my hair felt like i used moisturizer. thanks

I've been dying to get some shea and/or cocoa butter because I have a feeling it will give me MUCH better results than water, leave-in and oil alone.

maybe i should try this non water-based moisturizing thing?

i've been having a hard time finding a moisturizer

i always choose water-based moisturizers...

i also usually put my moisturizers on wet/damp hair

and of course i did it because i thought i had to for it to work for some reason.

maybe we'll try this...

Back