I don't WANT to slap a perm on my kinks, BUT......

NubianQueen

I don\'t WANT to slap a perm on my kinks, BUT......

What on earth am I going to do? I mean really, I flat-ironed my hair (with a jilbere ceramic), this lady pressed it (can you say OUCH?!
mad.gif
) and right afterwards I'm a big puffball! In Junior High I used to press with Blue Magic on a weekly basis and I'm sure I was clogging my pores. I had rapid growth in my bangs and I know I curled them almost every day. But I don't think the back grew and I don't want that greasiness on my hair and clothes.

I really want this to work, after two years, I think it's time for me to actually deal with my hair and stop using extensions. But there is no way that I'm going to rock this fly away stuff. I use Colorshines, wash with CON, deep condtion w/Fantasia IC deep moisturizing creme then comb with it in and the force of the shower, use Biolage Tonic to detangle (I know it tangles ALOT), plus Africa's Best Kids Shea Butter Detangling lotion, and Ultra Sheen's Satin Creme Press. With all of that, I still got tangles galore and airy hair.

At this point I really don't trust anyone else to do my hair. They rip out my hair and call it 'shedding.'
censored.gif

So, right now my hair is back in some braids that I did, nothing dramatic, just something I could handle. I don't like the tiny individuals because of the time and it just seems to cause more damage than it's worth.

My hair is thick but certainly not heavy. I want it to have some weight and body. Why can't I have that Oprah bounce? If I don't get some help and figure this out soon, I'm just going to have to get it cornrowed for the next year and try again with some more length. Right now my hair is on my shoulders. Maybe I should just try rollersets, but from the posts on here, I can tell that it's going to be difficult.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. The more I think about it, I just might have someone cornrow it for a year because I don't want my hair to brush back and forth over my shoulders and thus causing breakage.
ohwell.gif

HELP
notworthy.gif

Re: I don\'t WANT to slap a perm on my kinks, BUT......

Well, here's a pressing technique that may work for you. After pressing one section, immediately smooth that section over a large roller & secure. When you're done with your whole head & the hair has cooled off, take the rollers out & wrap your hair. I think this may give you the bounce you're looking for.

Ipanema,

These braids will be out soon so I will definitely try your suggestion.

Thank you

what texture is your hair?
i'm asking because maybe you need to blowdry first or rollerset first to make sure all your hair is dry before you press. if theres any moisture in your hair then it will frizz.
also try a search on pressing. some tips i remember were making sure the flatiron was hot enough to just slip through the hair and using a fan directed at you while blowdrying and flatironing because your bodyheat and moisture from the scalp and hands can cause frizz. or something like that.
hth

Make sure your hair stays moisturized. And cornrows are a good idea.

Hey Nu, I've been natural for 2 yrs and back in the day I could rock a press for 2 weeks, but those days are over. Now once I press about an hour later I have an afro-puff. So no more pressing besides it leaves alot of straigt flyaway strains. Not that I complaining about the afro but I didn't know it was poofy at the time. I wore my hair natural in a headband for a month for the first time in many, many moons. No press, no braids, no nothing. I used my rosemary spritz before combing/picking, that helps alot. Please don't be discouraged. You have to remember your hair is in a different state now and the products you used on your relaxed hair my not work on your natural hair and vice versa. You cannot use the same combs. You cannot comb your hair the same way. Your hair may not look shiny because light doesn't reflect off of coily hair the same as straight hair. It doesn't mean it's not moisturized or hard. I use the Crown and Glory tech. modified anyway.
I have cornrows now. I use protected styles. I know you already know most of this. Use this as encouragement. Stay strong.
Stay strong.

ya know what, i was braided for years and i noticed , when ever i would take out my braids and try to rock my own hair i would get frustrated because my hair would never act right...i hated my hair! u ever heard the experession , u have to train your hair...i noticed that it too quite some time after braids for my own hair to behave and stop getting frizzy, so maybe this is the case for you, after a few months of babying your hair and letting it get used to being babied for a while , it will start to act right....i dunno but this is what happned for me anyways....

Ladies,

Sorry I took so long to respond, haven't been on the boards as of late. Anyway, thanks a lot for all of the suggestions. Trial and error
look.gif
, not my favorite thing to do since I thought I had my regime down (well for detangling anyway) and now I feel like I have to go back to the drawing board. I guess not completely, I'm keeping the CON (ummm, I am not sure why) and I will be sure to only clarify once per month because LAWD that made my hair SQUEAKY clean and I didn't care for that feeling one bit.

Okay, I am on a mission to find my own holy grail. By the time I am done, I am going to know how to wear my hair with my natural curl with minimal shrinkage as well as wearing it straight with bounce and swing to enjoy my length.

I'm praying I get to my goal soon!!

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Back