I don't think Kinky hair is a disease! Re: My Copper Deficiency Post

cocoberry10

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=165719

Oh, my goodness ladies! I don't know where to even begin! I've never done this before (done a post about a post, or "defended" my post), but I felt the need to!

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

I DO NOT THINK KINKY HAIR IS A DEFICIENCY OR A DISEASE!

I started the thread above b/c after doing research on natural hair (as I'm transitioning), I found an article on copper and hair kinkiness. I clicked on it and it mentioned Menkes disease. I did not include the info about Menkes disease to insinuate that I think we with kinky hair have the disease. I included it, b/c that's where my info about copper came from.

I also wanted to inform ladies about the benefits of copper, which include, but are not limited to...benefits for the hair! That's all I'm going to say about this!

I did not read you other post, but I don't really see how the topic (according to the title of the thread) is offensive.

I mean, we say that hair growth in internal and the best way to take care of your hair, skin, nails and body is by starting on the inside, so why can't a deficiency of some sort interfere with your hair texture?!

I am not sure if you were saying that kinky hair in general is caused my a deficiency, but I have kinky hair and I have had time when it was harder to deal with my hair because I was dieting, eating junk, etc.

Yes, my hair is kinky, but during those times it was not as soft and manageable.

lol dont watch it cocoberry!

i for one knew exactly what you were trying to say.

no offense round here x

I did not read you other post, but I don't really see how the topic (according to the title of the thread) is offensive.

I mean, we say that hair growth in internal and the best way to take care of your hair, skin, nails and body is by starting on the inside, so why can't a deficiency of some sort interfere with your hair texture?!

I am not sure if you were saying that kinky hair in general is caused my a deficiency, but I have kinky hair and I have had time when it was harder to deal with my hair because I was dieting, eating junk, etc.

Yes, my hair is kinky, but during those times it was not as soft and manageable.

Exactly! And this is all I was trying to say. I posted the stuff about the disease since the article I read included info about it, and I posted more info about disease. Some people got it and maybe some didn't! Oh well, can't please everybody! People with straight hair have all kinds of problems!

:lol::lol::lol: I know Dlewis. But I was just trying to help:lachen: Next time, I'll keep the info to myself or PM it to the people I think want to know:lol:

No. imma need you to keep posting info!

No seriously, girl we all get a little worked up sometimes and some people take things out of context. I am going to say those that were offended will rethink it when they see this thread.

I knew what you were saying too.

I dont think our hair should naturally be dry, rough, hard....any of those things as it is with some people. And anything that can help explain as to why it is sometimes is okay with me :yep: Like the sulfur thing, it has helped my hair become way less rough feeling and retain more moisture. I love natural things to help maintain my hair, and our hair is different from most other races and theirs nothing wrong with wondering and figuring out why.
Saying "kinky" hair does not mean your saying anything bad.

ETA---i have cought glimpes of stuff while searching of Keratin structure and Copper in hair being related.....as well as hair color. And i know Keratin involves sulfur, amino acids, di-sulfide bonds, and all of that---which relates to hair strength, feeling, and shape.

Last edited:
I actually scanned the info in your OP and I still don't see how those who jumped to certain conclusions:look: came to those conclusions. I love to learn, and I too say please feel free to post information that you would like to discuss. It is good to log on and see novel posts, that are actuallyn informative and thought provoking!!!

Thank you:kiss:

I agree and think this is a very intelligent subject. Copper deficiencies have been known to cause grey or white hair, wrinkling of the skin as well as sagging of the skin. UGH!

The thyroid can also be affected along with hypertension and hypotension. Studies also suggest cholesterol levels can be affected.

I think it would be great to make sure we are getting enough of this mineral in our diets we can still be hot healthy mammas in our golden years.

Last edited:
I knew what you were saying too.

I dont think our hair should naturally be dry, rough, hard....any of those things as it is with some people. And anything that can help explain as to why it is sometimes is okay with me :yep: Like the sulfur thing, it has helped my hair become way less rough feeling and retain more moisture. I love natural things to help maintain my hair, and our hair is different from most other races and theirs nothing wrong with wondering and figuring out why.
Saying "kinky" hair does not mean your saying anything bad.

ETA---i have cought glimpes of stuff while searching of Keratin structure and Copper in hair being related.....as well as hair color. And i know Keratin involves sulfur, amino acids, di-sulfide bonds, and all of that---which relates to hair strength, feeling, and shape.

Thanks for this info:kiss:

:lol::lol::lol: I know Dlewis. But I was just trying to help:lachen: Next time, I'll keep the info to myself or PM it to the people I think want to know:lol:

Cocoberry, please continue to share your research. I happen to have found other information about copper last week, and was waiting until I could do further research before posting it. There is actually a topical agent containing copper peptides that has shown an increase in hair growth, and I found a post on another forum where a lady used the copper along with MTG and got about 1.5 inches of hair growth in 1 month.....phenomenal!

Here's the study on copper peptide's affect on hair growth: http://www.skinbiology.com/copperpeptideregeneration.html#hair

Remember also that everyone is different, and we don't all process information at the same rate. :yep:

I commented in your other thread, but I did not feel offended by your post. I was just agreeing with the ladies that said that they don't think kinky hair is a disease. ;)

Don't worry about it though. It's just a thread and the ladies will get over it. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

hi,
commented in your other post as well, No offence taken, just thought copper cant fix hair type since its genetically determined.

Back