I don't know what to do once I take out my weave!!

auntybe

I don\'t know what to do once I take out my weave!!

Okay ladies, here's my problem. On June 11th, I am getting my tracks tightened. On July 1st, I am taking out the weave. I don't know what to do. I have been natural for three years and four months. I have periodically worn a weave, micro braids, press and curl, a blowout that I have done at home, twist out set, comb twist, wash and go, and a big FRO! I have run out of ideas....no matter what i have tried my hair is only below the base of my neck when pressed. It is very hot and humid here in NC or I would just blow it out. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME before I grab a relaxer(I am not supposed to relax because I take lots of medication). I am beginning to hate my hair because, I can't figure out what to do. I am going to have to enter the hair protection program so my older sister doen't grab me and shave off all of this healthy hair I have and buy me a wig.
THANKS!

Re: I don\'t know what to do once I take out my weave!!

Have you tried instant weaves? They are great for getting a fast new look. Every girl should own Sensationnel HZ 7009. I love that thang.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

http://www.sensationnel.com/fall2003/pro.asp?cat=iw

http://outrehair.com/pro1.asp?cat=5

Have you tried just plain twists, cornrows, combos of the two, straw set, rollerset? Have you checked out: www.roshini.net? I would STRONGLY advise you NOT to relax especially if your physician advises against it. My aunt is the same way. Because of her illness, ALL of her hair products have to basically be approved by her physician so that they won't interact with her medication and cause further damage.

I know how you feel. I'm so used to wearing buns and fake puffs. When I start wearing my hair "out" I'm gonna be lost! I can't cornrow, flat twist, etc. I'm trying to learn, but the results so far have been pretty scary.

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I know how you feel. I'm so used to wearing buns and fake puffs. When I start wearing my hair "out" I'm gonna be lost! I can't cornrow, flat twist, etc. I'm trying to learn, but the results so far have been pretty scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep Practicing!!!! You'll get it. You may want to check out www.ourhair.NET. I THINK they have instructions.

<font color="red">I corrected the website link. Thanks DivaState!</font>

Karonica:

I was thinking about these, but I don't see how I can wear these since I can't leave any hair out. Since my hair is thick will I have to braid it down.

Auntybe-
Assuming you're trying to grow longer hair, what do you do with your hair when it's NOT in a weave or braids?

So are instant weaves sewn in? They look so natural!:)

[ QUOTE ]

Keep Practicing!!!! You'll get it. You may want to check out www.ourhair.com. I THINK they have instructions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree please keep on practicing. The instructions are on http://www.ourhair.net I'm just about 3 years natural and I still don't have a hang of a lot of styles. Is there any way you could maybe find a natural stylist to see if they can give you some tips on some easy to learn low maintenance styles?

Good luck and always feel free to ask here for some tips.

Patience:

Thanks for the website's they are very helpful. I tried rollersetting a few times. My arms are still sore, I hadn't rolled my hair in years. My hair was soft but still bushy...I'm not sure what I was supposed to look like.

[ QUOTE ]
Divastate said:
[ QUOTE ]

Keep Practicing!!!! You'll get it. You may want to check out www.ourhair.com. I THINK they have instructions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree please keep on practicing. The instructions are on http://www.ourhair.net I'm just about 3 years natural and I still don't have a hang of a lot of styles. Is there any way you could maybe find a natural stylist to see if they can give you some tips on some easy to learn low maintenance styles?

Good luck and always feel free to ask here for some tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

THANKS FOR CORRECTING THAT LINK!!!

[ QUOTE ]
auntybe said:
Karonica:

I was thinking about these, but I don't see how I can wear these since I can't leave any hair out. Since my hair is thick will I have to braid it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

With style HZ 7009, I only have to let about a half of an inch of my hairline show, that's how well it's constructed.
smile.gif
I let the middle part of my headline show, but the sides are covered by curls. And, you can wear this style in more than one way. You can pull some curls down the front of your head to make a curly bang and you will never have to leave an ounce of hair out. It's very versatile. I just brush all of my edges back and put it on.

Also, they're making new styles that come with detachable bangs, therefore, you don't have to worry about leaving the hair out.

As far as your hair underneath, you can plait it in about 6 or 7 plaits since your hair is thick (I only do 5) and then pin the plaits down for flatness. The instant weave stretches really well (well, it's supposed to stretch One time, I bought a defective one that had no elastic
laugh.gif
).

Patience:

When my hair is not in braids or a weave, I usually do condtioner washes every other day and rinse with water everyday....or do a twist out. Sometimes I will just throw a scarf around my FRO for a headband and just go. I put in the weave bacause my hair didn't seem to be growing

The weave may have interrupted your length keeping. Plus, don't also forget that natural hair has shrinkage and that will give the appearance that hair isn't growing. Do you use any homemade hair butters or spritzes?

[ QUOTE ]
blkbeauty said:
So are instant weaves sewn in? They look so natural!:)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you just stick the two combs in and you're done. I don't even stick the combs in all the way. If it's made right, it will stretch comfortable and securely over your head.
smile.gif

Sometimes I use shea butter and aloe. I was using Surge and Carol's daughter products for awhile too. I stopped after I put the weave in.

[ QUOTE ]
auntybe said:
Sometimes I use shea butter and aloe. I was using Surge and Carol's daughter products for awhile too. I stopped after I put the weave in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that CD has some great products. I don't know about Surge. I'm sure that your hair is growing. Do you deep condition any? Drink alot of water? Eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies? Keep stress levels WAAAAYAYYYY low?

Patience:

Girl, you know I haven't deep conditoned in a minute. I usually use Humectress or ORS. I think I will do a deep conditioner tonight. I have increased my water intake. I have been under a lot of stress.

Stress can stunt your hair grow AND exacerbate any other issues (health or otherwise) that you may have. Gotta get rid of the stress. Do you meditate? Listen to some relaxing music maybe. When I was in grad school my ENTIRE floor knew when I was stressed...I would go into my room, light my candles, put on my Kenny G's Greatest Hits cd LOUDLY, and sit in the middle of my floor, usually indian-style, with a cup of coccoa and a PB&amp;J sandwich...and just BE. Tune everything else out and just be. It took some practice but it worked. You may want to try something similar.

The deep conditioner may be a good idea. I know alot of folks have added olive oil and honey to their regular conditioners, threw on a plastic cap, added some heat and went for theirs...with good results. You may want to give that a shot. If you don't have a hair dryer, then heating a damp towel in the microwave for ~1 minute, remove carefully, wrap around your head and secure.

Spritzes and hair butters will help you retain some moisture throughout the day. If you need a few recipes, I have some.

Oh, before I forget, if you don't do so already, try to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water daily. It will have a TREMENDOUS effect on your body and your hair.

Patience:

I need some recipes. I don't really have any. I was looking at your flat twist and puff pics in your album. My
hair looks similar when I wear in a puff(my curls are really tight in the top and wavy in back). I think I am going to have to try that style.

Go for it!!! I had fun with it! This weekend, I plan to cornrow the front and do 2-strand twists in the back
grin.gif

Here you go...

Using an 8oz. spray bottle:

20 drops of Rosemary essential oil

~4 capsules of Vitamin E

1 tablespoon Olive oil

Fill rest of bottle almost to the top with water

Shake before use and spritz

Another combo that I've used:

~1 Tb. spoon olive oil

~1tsp. Jojoba oil

5 capsules Vit. E

2 Tb. Suave Coconut conditioner

Fill rest of bottle with water

Shake well before each use

Another one:

10 drops Rosemary Essential oil

25 drops Sweet Orange Essential oil

4 capsules of Vit. E

~1Tb. olive oil

~1 Tb. conditioner of your choice (I like Suave)

Fill rest with water

Shake well before each use...

Using an 8oz spray bottle:

15 drops of Sweet Orange essential oil

1 TB olive oil

1 tsp. Vit. E

1 tsp. Jojoba oil

1 Tb. of conditioner (I like Suave Naturals Coconut)

Shake well before each use

Hair/body butter...

Using approx. an 8 oz. container:

Equal parts melted Coconut Oil, Unrefined shea butter and 1/2 stick of cocoa butter (the amount is up to you...just don't go above half)

~1 tsp. Jojoba oil

~1 Tb. Vitamin E

~1 Tb. Honey

15 drops Lavender EO

20 drops Rosemary Eo

25 drops Sweet Orange Eo

The rest will be Olive Oil

Using a double boiler (a small boiler inside of a large boiler that's filled with water), melt and blend all of the ingredients using a wooden spatular or spoon. When completely mixed, pour into your container. Fill the rest of the container with Olive oil. Put in the refridgerator or freezer and allow it to cool and solidify. When ready to use, take out, let sit for about 5-10 minutes depending on climate and use. If a room is too warm, it will become very liquidy (is that a word). Be careful not to use too much. It's very concentrated.

another butter idea
I basically used the same ingredients for the hair butter listed above, I just ADDED:
30 drops Ylang Ylang eo
15 drops Lemon oil

I ALSO let it "cook" for about 25 minutes before transferring it to the container to cool and putting it in the fridge.

**Note: You may use the essential oils of your choice. I use these because they are all that I have at the moment. Be sure that you DO use the Rosemary oil. It's supposed to be good for hair growth and the honey works as a humectant**

------------------------------------------------------------

**Sometimes, for the body butters, I don't add the honey...I'll use some veggie glycerine instead. I may also take it easy on the essential oils depending on the fragrance you're trying to acheive.**

Thanks for the recipes. I will be in the kitchen this weekend. My godchildren are coming over and they can help me make a few things.....I can try them om their hair too.

I forgot to tell you that you're welcome. If you have time and computer space, From Nature With Love has a downloadable Recipe book with homemade recipes in it. The site is: www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Back