I don't know how you natural 4a/b's do it!!!!!!!!

CheerBear

I don\'t know how you natural 4a/b\'s do it!!!!!!!!

I absolutely hate dealing with my 3 or so inches of totally natural hair!!!!! I use one of those giant bone combs for detangling...doesnt work...try deep conditioning under the dryer...my hair laughs at me like what EXACTLY did you think you were doing...Omg...it's just horrible (FOR ME) much props to those of you who have the patience and love to handle those precious coils with TLC..cause I cant do it anymore. On a side note..which conditioners give you the best slip and moisture????

Re: I don\'t know how you natural 4a/b\'s do it!!!!!!!!

well if you are still interested in staying natural you might not want to deep condition under the dryer. For some people it makes your hair curl up tighter making it harder to comb. I put mine in bantu knots and get under the dryer so my ends don't curl up in the heat. I guess you can try a good cholesterol conditioner like LeKair or the new formula for Lustrasilk and maybe mix it with olive oil. that's what works for me. good luck with whatever you do.

IC aloe and Kenra are both good choices.

CheerBear, yes it takes patience. Once you get use to your hair it won't be so hard. It took me a year to get the hang of my natural hair. I have been natural for almost 3 yrs. Don't fight you hair, you'll get the hang of it (if you decide to stay natural).

Hey CheerBear, I think you have to change up your routine a bit. What you do to your hair will determine how your hair will react. I don't deep condition under a dryer but I wrap seran wrap around my head & cover it with a self heating cap (gold-colored "shower cap"). And to be honest, The months, & years, where I couldn't even pull my hair back into a ponytail were the most confusing, fustrating, and depressing times of the 5 yrs I've been natural, lol. Everyday I'd be trying something new, but if you're not careful you may be causing your hair a lot of pain and it will remain short. But as my hair got longer, it got more exciting for me to deal with. I never imagined that those short ringlets of curls I started growing out could ever amount to what it is now. I could never imagine "naps" as long, tiny curls.

Whatever your decision is though, it's because it's what you want. Not everyone has their hair natural and that's ok
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:
I absolutely hate dealing with my 3 or so inches of totally natural hair!!!!! I use one of those giant bone combs for detangling...doesnt work...try deep conditioning under the dryer...my hair laughs at me like what EXACTLY did you think you were doing...Omg...it's just horrible (FOR ME) much props to those of you who have the patience and love to handle those precious coils with TLC..cause I cant do it anymore. On a side note..which conditioners give you the best slip and moisture????

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't do deep conditioners under the dryer anymore. I con-wash almost everyday unless my hair is in twists. I wash with a gentle shampoo every week or every other week. I do a protein treatment once a month (I did one on Sunday with Aubrey's GPB) with no heat just sitting on my head for as long as I have time for.

I comb my hair damp with either my wide tooth yellow comb or my seamless fine tooth comb (yes I still use a fine tooth comb at times). Sometimes I'll add some product on to my damp hair before I comb as well (lately it's been either CD's hair milk, shea butter, or avocado butter).

It's really not hard to me to "deal" with my hair anymore. The hardest thing is twisting my hair because I'm so cardio challenged that holding my arms above my head for a long time hurts, but hey it's excercise
laugh.gif

I will be natural for two years in August. I have 10 inches of healthy and beautiful nappy hair. [It would've been longer had I not cut so much of it off.] Can I suggest that you stay away from heat altogether? When I went natural, I gave all of my heating appliances to my sister. Every once in a while I'll do a deep condition treatment, but only protecting my hair with a plastic cap. But honestly, I've only done this about once every 3 or 4 months.

I would also find a nice moisturizing and detangling conditioner. Detangle using a K-Cutter comb. These combs are the BOMB! Always comb hair while wet, under the shower with hair and water flowing back. That makes it easier to comb. Part the hair in sections and comb that way...

Good luck. Hang in there and stay beautifully nappy!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't do deep conditioners under the dryer anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. And my hair has thanked me for it.
smile.gif
The only time I sit under the dryer is once every 4-6 weeks when I use a heavy duty protein conditioner like DRC 28 or Remedi Therex and the directions specifically say to sit under the dryer.

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't recommend doing anything to your natural hair with heat - that includes deep conditioning. I'd say do daily conditioner washes instead. If you find a good enough conditioner, you may eliminate the need to do deep conditionings altogether. As far as conditioners go, I use the ones from the Tresemme' line (found in most drugstores). I use the Vitamin E Moisture Rich conditioner the most.

Taking care of natural 4a/b hair does take patience, but once you get a routine going, it's cool.

Couple suggestions that might help you:

1. I wouldn't deep condition under the dryer. Just put a plastic cap over your hair and let the conditioner sit that way.

2. Detangle your hair in sections. Now I didn't have to start doing this until I got to 5 inches. Now that my hair is longer, I can't imagine trying to detangle without my hair being in sections. The detangling session would be a disaster!

3. Work from ends to root. If you come up to a tangle and it's really rough, work through it with your hands before you continue combing. I know you might get the urge to force the comb through but don't. I've done it and regretted it soon after.

Here are some conditioning suggestions for slip:

1. Pantene Pro V Smooth and Sleek, Daily Moisturizer Renewal, or Hydrating Curls.

2. Aubrey Organics GPB

3. Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Creme Spice Rinse

4. Biolage Detangling Solution

5. Daily Defense Tender Apple

I have tried the first three.

Hope this helps!

-Ebony

Girl, I know what you mean! Detangling can be
wallbash.gif
, but that's ONLY if you don't have the right technique AND the right products. I discovered both after joining this site. It helps to detangle/comb out in sections. The longer your hair the more sections you'll need IMO, but at 3 inches I think you could easily do it by quadrants. Always detangle when hair is damp (not soaking wet and definitely not dry). The products that help me tremendously are Pantene's light spray detangling conditioner and my newest discovery--Giovanni direct leave'in. Hope this helps!!

Re: I don\'t know how you natural 4a/b\'s do it!!!!

When I detangle, I do it in the shower with my head filled with conditioner. I take my time and go ends to roots, sometimes using the shower stream to help me. My main detanglers right now are Suave Milk and Honey and ESPECIALLY Daily Defense. Either Tender Apple or Water Lily work fine for me.

yea sunflower said it right. it does take time. it took me a while to deal with my natural hair mostly because I was too afraid to experiment, but now I've learned how to do some pretty nice styles. I got the two stranded twists down and the french roll is coming along nice (inspired by Babyblue) and i'm going to learn how to press it (inspired by Nay) and then learn to do extensions (inspired by DSD).experiment a little. ask other people how they do styles. i bug the hell out of other members to get information

Exactly what shampoo and conditioner are you using when you do your hair? I've never needed to get under a dryer to deep condition- I may wrap my hair in a steaming towel and cover with a plastic cap or use a heating cap occassionally for hot oil treatments. I'm one of the rare ones I guess that detangling my natural hair is actually much easier than my relaxed hair ever was. I only detangle with my hair full of conditioner which helps the comb to slip right through.

well i'm on extending my relaxer..i haven't had a relaxer since March 6th.. and i have A LOT of new growth.. and it's succhhh a pain.. for me right now.. detangling.. and what not..also i'm havin trouble keeping my new growth moisturized... i've seen so much breakage and sheeding from my crown area.. not my ends but my crown area.. and i know it's from lack of moisture.. any suggestions of how to keep it moist? i'ma evnetually put braids in it.. i'm trying not to relax until november possibly

don't be too discouraged. i have gotten the natural blues b4. i held out as long as i could and today i blew out the fro. i love it it moves and i can see growth. hang in there if you can. the learning curve is not the same for everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:
On a side note..which conditioners give you the best slip and moisture????

[/ QUOTE ]

Biolage Detangling Solution

NCG pointed out that behentrimonuim methosulfate is the ingredient doing most of the slipping.
laugh.gif
Look for it in other and cheaper prodcuts.
smile.gif

LSU-I was extending my relaxer with the intent of transitioning...I either use EQP creme conditioning or shampoo for relaxed hair or CON. I have a wide variety of conditioners so I couldnt even tell one...Lekair or Humectress usually

Back