I don't know how yall stretch for longer than 3 months

LOL at your post.
It is doable. Some here do it once a year! I can go between 12-16 weeks easy. Now 26 weeks which I have done b/f is another! This is why I only do touch ups 4x a year.

I'm 6 days away from 4 months post (16 weeks) and it is a challenge. I've been discouraged and really frustrated some days and others I feel completely confident that I will make it to 6 months (January). The key to stretching, in my experience thus far, has been the following:

*Pre-poo's: These help keep my hair strong, I like to use molasses, garlic, wheat germ, honey, evoo, etc for these to avoid breakage and excessive shedding.

*Oil rinsing/Hot Oil Treatments: Makes detangling a breeeeeze, softens like crazy.

*Quality deep conditioner: 'Nuff said. Regular DC's are a must, for real.

ETA:
the above work exceptionally well on dry hair.

*Frequent Co-washing: Moisturizes and keeps NG and chemically treated hair soft.

*AVC rinsing: Helps in moisture retention.

*Quality moisturizer: 'Nuff said.

*Protective styling: Buns, bantu knots/knot outs, twists/twists outs, braids/braid outs, wigs/half wigs/weaves, scarves, etc.

*Keep manipulation, especially to NG limited

I've recently discovered scarf styles/head wraps/hijab similar to the following picture. It keeps the hair covered, can flatten the NG, tucks it away when I don't feel like "dealing" with it, and styling this way can really get creative.

Scarf+1.jpg

Last edited:
I actually don't mind seeing my new growth.

same here. i love seeing my roots!

the issues come when i'm trying to blend both textures together. so i can definitely relate to the thread topic! the longest i ever stretched before was 13 weeks, and 4 of the last weeks i was underneath a wig :sekret: so my transition should be interesting :)

Back