I don't know how to flat iron... Help!

DeeLiteFulEKinky

I have no idea what i'm doing... should I roller set first? Do I blow dry first? can i do it with my twist out...
NO CLUE... I have NO CLUE...
If you're really good at it.... please give me the low down step by step details.

I have pics... so feel free to check out my album this way you can see what kind of hair i'm working with.. My attempt at flat ironing pics are located in Jan 2005 folder.

www.fotki.com/deelitefulekinky

*waits patiently*

Hi! I used to flatiron my hair every week about 2 years ago, or I used to alternate with rollersets. It really depends on the size of your flatiron. I have a 1.5" wide ceramic flatiron, so to get my hair effectively straightened, I had to work with no more than 1" wide hair sections. Try to use the lowest heat setting possible to get your hair straight to reduce damage. Because my hair is fine, I could get it straight on #4 of like 10 or 20.

Section your hair according to the width of the flatiron. It doesn't really matter how you section, unless you want to wrap like I did, I would part on the desired side, and work my way around. Just be sure that when you apply the iron to your hair, you use a light oil or heat protectant spray (these can help give better results and deter extra damage). Also, move fluidly. Don't hold the flatiron in any one place for any extended amount of time. Move rapidly down the section of hair, and try not to stop at the ends. That's about all I have as far as tips! I hope this helps! I stopped using heat about 1 year 3 mos ago.

1. I would suggest that you get a good electric ceramic or glass flatiron with a heat control gauge, frizz eaze (I reccomend extra strength for thick hair) or other silicone type product, finishing creme, olive oil sheen spray, round bristle brush blow dryer or bonnet dryer, hard plastic rollers.

2. Wash, condition very well use a detangling conditioner that works best with your hair. Section hair in thin sections and roll on largest hard plastic rollers your hair length can hold, if youre doing roller set dry, sit under a bonnet dryer, skip to step 5. Section hair into 4-6 sections half braid them or use clips to keep sections separate if using blowdry method.

3. Use some of the silicone product before blowdrying. Start from the back/nape make sure the section is detangled, separate that section thinner and start with the bottom most one.

4. Start underneath with the brush and grip the hair dry the roots first, then roll the brush and keep tension while following with the blowdryer. Reapeat this as you go from bottom one side to the other than up in the same way until you get to the top. When your done put a little more silicone thoughout all your hair.

5. Now make a thin section hair from ear to ear starting at the nape/bottom of hair and check your iron which should have been heating before. VERY IMPORTANT: Use a towel or napkin to test the iron first when correct temp is reached then test hair, then you can continue once temp is corrected. It must not be too hot or too cool that's why a heat level is best so you'll know what works.

6. Spray some olive oil sheen first then iron the thin sections piece by piece, this will be a little faster since the section have to be thin but can be as wide as your flat iron. Continue until you get to the top. use a thinner comb and follow it with the falt iron if necesary. If the ends won't get straight don't keep going over them they will burn you don't want that. The ends may be dry and/or split you might need to trim them up, that's the porblem with straight hair the ends must be cut and look fresh.
Make sure you wrap your hair in a cap or silk scarf to sleep and don't over oil or grease your hair.
hth

Last edited:
Thanks Lucia!
That is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm about to print it out so I can have to try next weekend during spring break. :)

Back