i don't have anything against weaves, but dang.

robot.

i just don't like seeing them all in the same place. my mum's watching the BET awards preshow and there was a lovely assortment of ladies on the stage (including one in the most garish pink i've ever seen) and all i could think was...
WEAVE ALERT! :lachen:

i mean, i don't think a one of them was wearing their natural hair except for maybe the male host. :rolleyes: well. maybe one of the girls, but i can't be sure.

but beneath my humor, for some reason, it annoyed me. if you've got money for an easily detectable weave (which is sad, actually, considering they've probably got money up the arse), you've got money to get healthy, natural hair.

so, you go Alicia, with that full, thick, beautiful head of yours! you go, Rihanna, with your healthy, shiny, stylish bob! way to represent!

Last edited:
i dont like em much myself. as a protective style yes, but as a style itself, no. i read hair mags a lot and i hate seein a style no matter how simple, 9 times outta 10 it's not real, unless its a natural style. even then, the weave makers are gettin slick, makin "natural textured" weaves.

I know right? It's really sad that most female stars think they need to resort to weaves. I know they are not using them for protective styling. They can definitely afford natural, healthy hair and a personal stylist to maintain their own tresses. I am beginning to think that weaves come with stardom. Most of the weaves don't even look real or natural:nono:. It is really sad.

Yeah, it's no wonder people---both black and otherwise--- assume that black women can't grow hair. Damn near every black woman in Hollywood has an obvious weave.:rolleyes:

I think it's because they are in the entertainment industry and those curling irons and stuff wrecks havoc on their hair. It is what they do. When they go home, and we don't see them, I am sure they have their hair in a ponytail or something. The industry is filled with them, but they have to maintain a certain image, without resulting to tearing out their hair.
It gets a bit boring, but, hey who cares. Weave can be a PS or whatever. They have to deal with their scalp not me!:look:

I think it's because they are in the entertainment industry and those curling irons and stuff wrecks havoc on their hair. It is what they do. When they go home, and we don't see them, I am sure they have their hair in a ponytail or something. The industry is filled with them, but they have to maintain a certain image, without resulting to tearing out their hair.
It gets a bit boring, but, hey who cares. Weave can be a PS or whatever. They have to deal with their scalp not me!:look:

in the mags, that's what they all say. but if that's the case, be a diva! tell the sylist do a rollerset or something! the hours they spend usin 5 different heat tools, installin weave, sprayinthe spritzes and all, they could easily wash, deep condition, rollerset, and go! most of the styles they do look like rollersets anyway.

in the mags, that's what they all say. but if that's the case, be a diva! tell the sylist do a rollerset or something! the hours they spend usin 5 different heat tools, installin weave, sprayinthe spritzes and all, they could easily wash, deep condition, rollerset, and go! most of the styles they do look like rollersets anyway.[/quote]
True, but imagine doing that 3, 4, 5, 6 times a day. That will burn your hair out. It is a quick business. Just like we wear our buns, or PS everyday, than on the weekends splurge, this is their job. To be in front of the camera! So they have NO room for error. Weave gets it together. We are not seen mostly. And we don't touch up with irons all the time, they do!:ohwell:

I know right? It's really sad that most female stars think they need to resort to weaves. I know they are not using them for protective styling. They can definitely afford natural, healthy hair and a personal stylist to maintain their own tresses. I am beginning to think that weaves come with stardom. Most of the weaves don't even look real or natural:nono:. It is really sad.

While that is true a celebrity CANNOT get away with wearing the same hairstyle and or color everyday the way that you and I can. I can recall beyonce for example on a day where she was at mtv then later in the day on 106 and park. They cannot go on the next show wearing the same hair. Add to that photo shoots and such that can further damage the hair.

so it would make sense to wear weaves to change it up. Want chuncks of color? Get a few brown wefts. Want something more drastic like blonde get a lace wig. I've noticed on beyonce's down time her hair is in its "natural" state (or atleast I think it is) when she's glamour glamour its hair pieces and wigs galore.

While that is true a celebrity CANNOT get away with wearing the same hairstyle and or color everyday the way that you and I can. I can recall beyonce for example on a day where she was at mtv then later in the day on 106 and park. They cannot go on the next show wearing the same hair. Add to that photo shoots and such that can further damage the hair.

so it would make sense to wear weaves to change it up. Want chuncks of color? Get a few brown wefts. Want something more drastic like blonde get a lace wig. I've noticed on beyonce's down time her hair is in its "natural" state (or atleast I think it is) when she's glamour glamour its hair pieces and wigs galore.
Thank you, I agree!:yep:

i did forget about all the torture their has to go through.

but. still... feels like an image they're trying to portray. their weave doesn't look innocent to me.

if that makes sense. :grin:

and so what if they have to go somewhere in the same day? i'm no celebrity, so of course i don't care. :lachen: but they could still change it up! easily! wear a curly rollerset to the first show and then pull it up in a flatteringly 'messy' bun or ponytail. or put on a wig. i think that's what Alicia did on the awards tonight. :]]

like i say its not the weave for protection that gets me. its the weave for the sake of wearin weave to be cute.

i just don't like seeing them all in the same place. my mum's watching the BET awards preshow and there was a lovely assortment of ladies on the stage (including one in the most garish pink i've ever seen) and all i could think was...

i mean, i don't think a one of them was wearing their natural hair except for maybe the male host. :rolleyes: well. maybe one of the girls, but i can't be sure.

but beneath my humor, for some reason, it annoyed me. if you've got money for an easily detectable weave (which is sad, actually, considering they've probably got money up the arse), you've got money to get healthy, natural hair.

so, you go Alicia, with that full, thick, beautiful head of yours! you go, Rihanna, with your healthy, shiny, stylish bob! way to represent!

I feel ya!
It would be nice to see someone wear their natural hair every now and again. :yep:
It also bothers me when I'm at a gathering and am the only one wearing her own hair.

oh, and if the wigs are being used as a PS for the celebs, then their real hair must be bangin', if they remember that it's under there.

oh, and if the wigs are being used as a PS for the celebs, then their real hair must be bangin', if they remember that it's under there.
:lachen: they gotta keep it covered so dang much huh? whats the point of worryin bout your own hair if its always under somebody elses?

I really dont have a problem with weaves at all. I have never been able to wear them becaue they make my head too hot. I knothat there may be some celebrities that are not making enough money yet because of contract obligations to really get a top notch stylist. Im sure they probally have the same problems that some of us do....cannot find a quality stylist that knows what she is doing. Can you imagine a celebrity that has to have many hair style changes with a jacked up hair stylist? Snatching hair out with the weave. Flat iron to damn hot...etc...that would be FUd.

Now what about some other poepl who have weaves and dont take care of them. There is a woman at work who has literally worn the same weave for about 6 months. We have the same stylist. That cannot be healthy for the hair and scalp.

Weaves for PS, to be cute or whatever, they are making money to do whatever they so please:ohwell:. They obviously don't care.:perplexed And they do where ponytails on 'days off'. Roller sets are for common people, these are celebrities. They have to be larger than life. Some of them have rocked cute short cuts, some have medium hair, they enhance, but to each it's own. Other raced women don't always wear their real hair, either. It is the image of Hollywood. Hairstyles what we think look cute now, will not come across the camera that way. That's like asking why they wear make up on tv. It's television.:look:

How do you know Alicia's hair is hers? Question everything in the celeb world.

Weaves for PS, to be cute or whatever, they are making money to do whatever they so please:ohwell:. They obviously don't care.:perplexed And they do where ponytails on 'days off'. Roller sets are for common people, these are celebrities. They have to be larger than life. Some of them have rocked cute short cuts, some have medium hair, they enhance, but to each it's own. Other raced women don't always wear their real hair, either. It is the image of Hollywood. Hairstyles what we think look cute now, will not come across the camera that way. That's like asking why they wear make up on tv. It's television.:look:

i raise the flag on those of other races, too.

but, like you said, they don't care. i shouldn't either. and i don't, really, was just a topic starter. :grin:

I think the 100% fake hair rule is not always to do with styling. I think every celeb Black/Asian/White has some help in the hair stakes on the red carpet but when it comes to things like interviews and general appearences, the Black stars still wanna wear the fake hair where others dont as much.

I think most of these women got thrust into the limelight still with the same attitudes that a lot of non- LHCF BW have and once they have that straight Indian hair on everyday its hard to go back to basics. Especially if they dont have the thickness and bounce as the wigs.

Thats just IMO, non Black stars tend to wear the glue in extensions or a few tracks where their real hair is still out but added to. Lacefronts or full heads is a whole new kettle of fish to be wearing in photos, appearances, interviews and concerts everytime.

Alicia wears weave too... :look: Weave is just a part of the industry. They all have an image to maintain.

I think the 100% fake hair rule is not always to do with styling. I think every celeb Black/Asian/White has some help in the hair stakes on the red carpet but when it comes to things like interviews and general appearences, the Black stars still wanna wear the fake hair where others dont as much.

I think most of these women got thrust into the limelight still with the same attitudes that a lot of non- LHCF BW have and once they have that straight Indian hair on everyday its hard to go back to basics. Especially if they dont have the thickness and bounce as the wigs.

Thats just IMO, non Black stars tend to wear the glue in extensions or a few tracks where their real hair is still out but added to. Lacefronts or full heads is a whole new kettle of fish to be wearing in photos, appearances, interviews and concerts everytime.

I'll speak from experience here as a woman in the entertainment industry, and there are other women here who I know are too so they can probably vouch for this.

I was recently reading an article with Sanaa Lathan who was talking about this same issue, and even Tomiko Fraiser mentioned this in Andre Walker's book as to why she decided to go natural. Sanaa said her hair IS long, and it IS healthy. But she chooses to wear weaves that are similiar in length and style to her real hair because if she didn't she'd be bald. You are in the hands of WAY TOO MANY STYLISTS... While yes, people like Tyra have her entourage of stylists who do her hair/make-up specifically, when you start talking about actresses who are working in film/television, you have basically NO CHOICE who is doing your hair/make-up. You have to think that these productions hire their own staff so you are the mercy of the hair and wardrobe department. Yes you can request that irons be turned down, if you're smart and not pushy and if you're really sweet about it, you MAY be able to get away with them using your flat-irons etc instead but a lot of time they will have stuff like Chi, and T3, and other top of the line tools. But they WILL be using hairspray... And under those hot lights if you think you're not going to sweat out that perfectly coiffed hairstyle you're crazy. They WILL brush your hair from root to tip and not worry about wide-toothed combs. THEY WILL attempt to use a bobby pin that doesn't have plastic coverings on the tips (I had this happen to me when a stylist was trying to put my hair up in a french roll - she almost got beat down that day).

Even though these celebs are in the spotlight, honestly a lot of them don't have the wielding power nor money to be a diva. The thing about tracks, you hair is still exposed. And knowing the condition of our hair and the meticulous care it takes to keep it in shape, leaving it out for just tracks added still exposes your hair to damage... They'll be putting HEAT TOOLS RIGHT UP ON THAT ISH..... AND HAIRSPRAY TOO! :nono::nono:

I made the decision to move to LA to further pursue film and television work - was doing A LOT of theater and dance out here in NY. In theater 9x out of 10, you are doing your own make-up unless you are one of the stars and even then you may still be doing some of your own make-up and hair is SOME cases (a lot of times wigs are worn). In television and film - you WILL NOT be doing that. I've already decided that I WILL BE getting a lace front - actually two of them... One that is APL, and the other likely a longer BSL. My hair goals are to be around those lengths and I'm only a few inches from APL now so it makes sense. I will have them cut similar to my own hair to look natural as possible to make a smooth transition between when I wear them and when I dont. I just CANNOT risk wearing my hair out to prove to the public that we can and DO have long hair, while working at least... OUTSIDE of work, h*ll yes! But even me as a lowest wrung on the totem pole knows that to decide not to wear a lacefront/weave IS JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE. Plus as a LHCF member I'm WAAAAAAY TOO ANAL about how my hair is handled. And I know my demands will get me a reputation of being difficult to work with:rolleyes::ohwell:. I don't need that right now:grin:. Antoher choice I've made is to wear my hair more textured (braidouts/twistouts) and to make sure I am represented as such (by way of my headshots and other pics) so that I don't have to worry about straightening all the time.

I wish that our celebs would follow the same sentiments - of a protective style but to not be afraid to show their real hair. But hell they probably still don't understand how to truly care for their hair or believe it can grow long at all... And they still probably deal with the same kind of stylists ideals/theories we all face as well...

ok enough of my diatribe...

Last edited:
Foxie makes a great point, I just don't undstand why some of those B and C list actress are seen out and about with weave down to their anus's. Most of them (i.e. Meagan Good) don't work half as much as say a beyonce and/or Alicia keys. Why are they out to lunch with a LF on?

I wouldn't care if it didn't look like $1.99 baby doll hair. Wear a weave or a wig if you must (I've been there and wore wigs myself) but at least get one that works with your natural skin tone.

-A

Foxie makes a great point, I just don't undstand why some of those B and C list actress are seen out and about with weave down to their anus's. Most of them (i.e. Meagan Good) don't work half as much as say a beyonce and/or Alicia keys. Why are they out to lunch with a LF on?

See but you are comparing apples to oranges.... No matter what lists their on (A, B, or C) ACTORS are in a way a bit different than singers in the industry. Most singers have entourages who work with them as part of THEIR team - paid for by their record companies and other deal makers way in advance... Actress simply don't. We can't. The way our sect of the industry works is much different. Actors won't work as much as singers let's say because you are at mercy of being hired by a team of producers, casting directors, directors so the flow of work you get - unless you're doing series regular work on shows - you can be working all the time or not at all... Singers, well they book work based on their newest albums, they have a little less heads to go through at a certain point to get out there and get their work out there. A big name singer can drop an album today and then another next year if they want... Actors, yeah, you may book solidly one year and the next year you're wondering if you will qualify for health/pension with the actor's union SAG (minimum earnings to qualify for that have to total only $20,000 - who knows if you'll make that much). So it's not who's working harder than who... They all are, just in different ways...

Now why they wear weaves down to the floor... Because they like the length and can do it since the hair is there... But Megan has ALWAYS had a head of long thick hair since she was a kid.

Last edited:
Back