I Did My First Set of Twists

Yep, I'm sure this was my first time doing twists, lol.

To keep my hair moisturized, I co-wash in the a.m., apply a leave-in, and seal with castor oil. That takes care of the moisture throughout the day. In the evenings, I'd just moisturize with Carol's Daughter Hair Milk or some type of butter.

I'm trying my best to retain moisture in my hair (especially since I have color); that's why I'm hoping that these twists work out so that I can continue to do them during the winter. It sucks trying to figure out what to do with my hair at night because it gets matted if I just put on a bonnet/scarf, but I hate parting it to put it in large plaits because of the knots that I have to rip through.

OMG I soo know what you mean! I've been looking for/at protective styles all day because of this very reason. My natural hair is getting longer and I was like "oh goodness, it's getting tangled :eek: and i don't know what to do!!" I just finished co-wash then put a little avocado butter on my ends, then did a few box braids. I will try twists in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

You did an excellent job! They look really cute. I'm thinking that you may be able to get more than 2 weeks out of them depending on how well your hair holds up to a washing.

Thanks again ladies for the responses.

Next time I really have to try to make sure that they're almost all the same size, though.

My left side is almost starting to worry me because it's so fine that the twists are much thinner than the right and back. They hardly plumped up, but I'll see how it goes.

November2007-vi.jpg

These are my twists the next day (this morning). When I showered, I took off my shower cap to let the steam plump them up some more from being a little flattened in my sleep. I was careful not to get them wet. When I got out, I spritzed them with Oyin's Juices & Berries and added 2 clips.

Your twists are too cute, I love them. The hair color really makes them pop. What's your hair-type?

To wash, I was going to use a small spray bottle with a bit of diluted shampoo and water. I'd dampen my twists in the shower and spritz my scalp and hair with the diluted shampoo. After spritzing, I'd massage my scalp with my fingertips and then rinse my hair under the shower. I'd then rub a little conditioner in my palms and run it through my twists and rinse. When I get out, I'd just spritz with Oyin's Juices & Berries and smooth a little oil (or butter) on the twists. I hope that this wash idea works.

To rinse, I would just rinse my hair while in the shower, and repeat the method of spritizing with Oyin and sealing with oil/butter.

I love rinsing my twists every morning, I think you'll love it too! Only thing is that they may get a bit frizzy and I used to redo them every week because of this but now I'm finding myself going two weeks at a time. A little bit of conditioner, USC, and coconut oil and my hair is soooo soft, you'll love it!

Thanks again everyone!

This is going to be a staple style for me now. I'll will be doing this protective style for a while.

I can't wait to be able to try various products with twisting to achieve softness and shine. Lord knows I don't need to buy anymore products, but I have my eye on Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade and Qhemet's Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm.

Back