I did a CurlyNikki Twist-n-Curl *PICS*

FindingMe

Had to share.

Here's the result of my CurlyNikki T-n-C from her blog:

http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/10/as-promised-t-n-c-tutorial-is-here-d.html

I washed at night with DevaCurl No Poo and Conditioned with Deva One Conditioner. I then used Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Lavender Coconut Hair Creme + Pure Coconut oil all over and Pure shea butter on my ends as leave ins. I was lazy, so I did big twists. I think I had maybe 9 or 10. Pardon my bare face...(Click on thumbnails for larger view)

My big twists:

Back:

When I woke up next morning and took out twists. Finger combed all the way through twists:

My hair feels really light and soft and has a lot of movement. It doesn't look like Nikki's, but I like it. Maybe next time I will try smaller twists like she has on her blog. I was also afraid bc her hair is more fine and mine is more coarse, but it translated well.

It also took a LOT less time to do than my standard braidouts and I believe it dried quicker. I am definitely adding this to my arsenal of things to do for my transitioning hair. I am all about Keeping it Simple.

I am 14 months post relaxer. I am planning on transitioning for 2 years or more. My hair is currently btw APL and BSL.

I think I can re-twist at night and re-roll to prolong the style. We'll see.

:eek: That is the prettiest thing EVER! Gorgeous!

Runs to see if it can be done on my hair ...:roadrunner:

ETA: Just watched CurylyNikki's tutorial. Wow, just wow. Imma try this tomorrow.

Last edited:
It came out GREAT!! I've really been wanting to try this. My twistouts look really thin though.

:eek: That is the prettiest thing EVER! Gorgeous!

Runs to see if it can be done on my hair ...:roadrunner:

THANKS! Check out Nikki's..hers is to die for

It turned out great!!!!

THANKS!

you did a great job! it is lovely! i wonder if i could try it on relaxed hair? was this your first effort?

I believe you could do it on relaxed hair. Maybe do smaller twists to add more texture? This was my first time doing it, but I do braidouts every week with rolled ends, so it was very similiar.

FM! I LOVE it! Now you're making me want to try that. I never thought about doing twists. Your hair is thick and shiny. Keep it up!

It's very pretty and lush.

Thanks!

It came out GREAT!! I've really been wanting to try this. My twistouts look really thin though.

Girl, you should try it bc your hair is not thin. I think it would look GREAT on you. CurlyNikki also has a section called "Fluffing" on her blog where she talks about making the hair bigger as the days go on. Have you seen it? If not, check it out, maybe she has some tips in there to make it bigger that you could use...

Very nice! Like a PP said, my twist out come out so thin. Maybe I'll try what you did with the big twists to see if that makes a difference when I go on my summer vacation to Hawaii.

You can definitely do it on relaxed hair. Okay I better further clarify and say I'm texlaxed. I started twisting past the demarcation line so as not to really have to deal with the new growth. I am 5 months post. I did it Friday night and wore it Saturday. I got several compliments. I tried to take pics but it wasn't happening.

Gorgeous! I agree, my hair looks so thin when I do twist outs. Maybe I should let it dry some first, then twist.

I like this!! It looks really nice.

How did your relaxed ends look when twisted?

I've been wanting to try this but relaxed ends won't twist as nicely as my natural hair and just won't hold so I end up doing a braid out instead. Maybe I have too much relaxed hair still to get a good twist.

Very cute! I did this 2 weeks ago and it came out fairly well. Looks like everything is going well with your transition congrats on month 14 =)

Ladies, THANKS for all the sweet comments-

Gorgeous! I agree, my hair looks so thin when I do twist outs. Maybe I should let it dry some first, then twist.

I could see how that would wok, bc it would dry "big" and then when you twist it would define. Maybe 75-80% dry?

This is pretty. What products did you use?

I washed at night with DevaCurl No Poo and Conditioned with Deva One Conditioner. I then used Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Lavender Coconut Hair Creme + Pure Coconut oil all over and Pure shea butter on my ends as leave ins.

I like this!! It looks really nice.

How did your relaxed ends look when twisted?

I've been wanting to try this but relaxed ends won't twist as nicely as my natural hair and just won't hold so I end up doing a braid out instead. Maybe I have too much relaxed hair still to get a good twist.

My hair is about half n half right now, so the bottom half of my hair (relaxed) actually did OK. I do leave the last 4-5 inches of my hair loose, add pure shea butter with my fingertips and then roll up with the rods, so I can get a really defined curl. (I twisted until the last 4 inches of my hair and then rolled that loose hair up. Since the ends are relaxed, they make a smooth tight curl, but I think will work on natural hair as well bc I use perm rods and not larger rollers) I do this normally with my braidouts as well, and it seemed to work great with the T-n-C as well.

Back