I can't manage the new growth

AngelForLove

I can\'t manage the new growth

I am in my eighth week and I am trying to stretch out my relaxer for about three more weeks. I have no idea how to tame the new growth though. I am using oil to smooth it when my hair is wet but I cannot possibly do all the new growth. What do you all do?

Re: I can\'t manage the new growth

maybe you should try healthy hair butter. i hear alot of raves about this product for smoothing down new growth.

I remember when I first started transitioning, and all I knew how to do was let my new growth mat into a big puffball. Is that your problem? I later learned that it wasn't too hard to manage the natural texture.

My recommendation: Detangle all of the hair throughly when wet slowly from the ends to the roots with much conditioner. You need to start off with untangled hair which can be difficult if you've let your hair mat for a while. Then you need to maintain the untangled hair by combing it slowly when wet or damp frequently enough that it doesn't get tangled again. I comb out whenever I condition wash, probably every 3 days and it is not difficult or time consuming. Smooth and tie hair back when it is wet in order for it to not dry puffy with your leave in conditioner. If you comb your hair when dry, most likely it will be very puffy and hard to smooth. Mousse can also help you for smoothing well, especially if you want to smooth when dry. I don't recommend gel because gel smooths better but gets hard, crunchy, needs to be washed out, and can cause a lot of tangles.

I would wash with a good detangling shampoo (i like creme of nature) and condition with a good detangling conditioner.

[ QUOTE ]
AngelForLove said:
I am in my eighth week and I am trying to stretch out my relaxer for about three more weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I.

I'm CO washing my hair only once weekly. After I shower while my hair's wet, I slick the detangled hair into a wet, vaselined, braided bun and pin it up with a Good Hair Day pin. Braiding the bun prevents tangles. I don't take the bun down all week unless it falls down.

For new growth, I get in the shower and spray my hair (still in bun) with Sta-Sof-Fro until it's damp. I've got an applicator bottle (pointy tip) filled with Surge & Ion Straightening Conditioner. I "inject" this mix down into the new growth all over my head (without taking the bun down) after each shower. The result is a rather soggy bun, but it dries in a couple of hours. I do this moisturizing daily.

That Ion Straightening Conditioner contains shea butter, panthenol, and soy protein. It mixes will with the Surge instead of separating into micelles.

I like this routine, as there's minimal manipulation, my ends are tucked away, and the new growth stays moist.
smile.gif

I usually go 12-13 weeks between relaxers.

I do daily rinsing and conditioner washes, weekly deep conditioning with evoo and/or coconut oil added. Then I put my hair in a bun.

Since I dress like a man usually, I wear a satin scarf or doo-rag under my hats.

The best thing u can do is leave it alone (besides rinsing and putting it in a bun). Less manipulation during styling = less breakage.

Definately try the conditioning wash. I like to use KeraCare Humecto Conditioner. Once you are ready for your protective hairstyle WGO is the best for taming the new growth. Healthy hair butter and coconut oil are great also.

You say that you can't oil all of your new growth - you don't have to. Just moisturize it in sections - I do about 3-4 on each side. I get faster and faster each time I have to do it.

I also recommend a complete a complete wash once a week, a co wash another day, and possibly adding in daily rinses (or every other day) to keep the hair moist. Combing when dry and tangled is just an absolute no-no. In fact, I don't even detangle my hair anymore prior to washing. I found it's easier to detangle with the conditioner in my hair or under the shower stream. What you could do is use a cheap conditioner like V05 - slather all over your head. Then put your head under the shower stream and comb through. Once that's all detangled - then proceed with your regular shampoo wash or co wash (with a moisturizing, thick conditioner like Pantene or Suave Humectant).

Healthy Hair Butter is highly recommended!

I'm having the same problem with new growth. However, I'm in my sixth week post touch up and my hair is short (the front when pulled reaches my top lip, and sides are just past my ears and my back has very little length (a bob cut). I want to wait three more weeks before I touch up, but having a hard time. Any suggestions for really short hair?

[ QUOTE ]
dyingforlong said:
I'm having the same problem with new growth. However, I'm in my sixth week post touch up and my hair is short (the front when pulled reaches my top lip, and sides are just past my ears and my back has very little length (a bob cut). I want to wait three more weeks before I touch up, but having a hard time. Any suggestions for really short hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

try washing and conditioning your hair as usual, moisturize the short portion and when it dries, use the teeth of a smaller toothed comb to "brush" it. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth but you should be able to work something out. The other portions aren't so short so see if you can try the other tips mentioned.

Back