I called my married brofriend a HYPOCRITE because of my singleness angst....

Wow, this is a lot. Not sure what to say other than that Valerie is correct. Your friend is not the person to speak to regarding your singleness. Your experiences are quite different, and there is truth on both sides.

This may be one of the reasons why they teach us in our church that married and unmarried people should not fellowship because it will breed discontentment (on one or both sides) or cause some other issue(s). It is a 'type of' unequal yoke because the married and unmarried people are on different footing and in different situations.

He did not tell me to sit at home and "wait" for DH to approach me. Nor did he tell me not to have Christian male friends.
Love this ^^^^^

Appreciate the dialogue here.... a statement of clarification:

this exchange began as part of a larger conversation between a group of my friends (some married, some unmarried, some divorced and remarried). This particular exchange occurred when he emailed me privately about where the exchange was going. So I wasn't pouring my heart out to him randomly but I did and do own what I said. And it's even more clear as to where to place this email exchange: different marital status, different perspective.

Valerie's PM to me reaffirmed the need to focus on me and my stuff (for lack of a better word) and to avoid unproductive conversations. And as I was praying this morning, I thought about how one's pain can be someone else's deliverance...or at least a way to help someone else AVOID such pitfalls so for that, no regrets in sharing this here.

What also has come to mind is the way that the body of Christ presents singleness in the church and maybe one day, a dialogue will begin where singleness will be celebrated and not tolerated by all, regardless of marital status.

Be well.

one's pain can be someone else's deliverance...or at least a way to help someone else AVOID such pitfalls
:yep: some people learn lessons from personal experience, some learn from others' experience(s). I prefer the latter - a lot easier LOL.

I think the only thing he said somewhat wrong was this in bold:
Him: NO No please don;t think that I am being hurtful. I'm not. And forgive me if it comes off that way. I would never embarrass you. You are right...I have said that I knew I couldn't stay single. I HAD to have a wife. I NEED SEX.. NEED IT. And I don't play the five-knuckle shuffle!!!!! But as a man, I can approach women and analyze whether I want to date them and marry them. But as a woman, it is wise for you to be found. That's the difference. I know you have asked GOd about this. What has GOD said to you in response to your frustration?

No one necessarily needs sex, but it's great that he is having and wanting sex with his wife within a marriage committment.

Other than that, I didn't see anything else out of line. He didn't say you were "unworthy, deficient, disabled" just because a man does not want to marry you. You said that, not him.

I believe when he said "it is wise for you to be found", he may be thinking of this Bible verse:

Proverbs 18:22
22 He who finds a wife finds what is good
and receives favor from the LORD.

Check out this link on Bible verses which talk about resting in the Lord and waiting patiently for Him: http://www.topical-bible-studies.org/05-0006.htm

Last edited:
Back